Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna get some land!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Red face Gonna get some land!

We found some land that we like. 30-35 acres (need a survey). Talked to the bank and such and we are in the process of of getting the paperwork done and determining a proper offer (per acre). Very nice with almost 1/2 of it covered in hardwoods and the other half 5 year old pines - which is the "agricultural" part of it. Deer tracks all over - three sides already fenced and has three or four little creeks running on it. Nice sandy loam.

I'll tell you more after we get it done.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Running water means you might have some springs, nice very nice and the water insures it will be attractive to game. The one thing I don't have on my land is surface water, nice find. Any buildings or are you starting from scratch?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Did you get near a National Forest that you were hoping for?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

No buildings on it. Not near a NF, no, but surrounded by acreages in a very rural area. This is near a friend's place.

The county will pop for a culvert and entrance ramp to the place and then I'll need to go for $1500 or so to get a bulldozer to make a short road/driveway up to the home site and clear the site. This will be about a 75 yard drive or so curving back to the clearing.

There is a natural draw that we can put a levy/burm accross to trap the running water and make a pond below where the bouse will sit.

I'm going to build a smaller place at first which will become the "guest house" later or maybe we just build onto it.

The goal is to build it as we go and have the whole place paid for in 10 years or less. I will be 60 at that point...
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 03-18-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Very cool! Any idea what acres are going for (per acer)???
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    This is near a friend's place
    Huge plus when trying to settle in and getting familiar with the area. Sounds like a nice spot and good plan
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I am waiting to hear back from my buddy. His wife grew up in the area and has a big family = related to a bunch of people there. His sister in law works for the city manager of a town nearby and knows the bank President there. He's asking her to find out what land has been selling for and let me know so I can make a proper offer.

The one bank that I did contact told me that land loans require 30% down. This means something like $14-$20K depending on the final price. I decided to use the accumulated cash value on an older variable universal life policy for this - which allows me to retain the insurance coverage. I thought about doing the loan yourself the money thing but decided against it. If I didn't do this, it would take us some time to save that up.... and I want to pull the trigger on this.

The seller/agent has this listed as part of a 154 acre tract but said he'd look at an offer on a piece. His price on per acre listed is $2069 - for the larger piece. But this is asking price. There is a county road separting the parcel and this chunk is on one side of it - so it's the perfect place to "break off".

I'm thinking we make an offer of $1600 per acre - but I want to know what land has been selling for.

There are a lot of variables like timber, water, road access, which county it's in (this is huge), etc.

Some counties have a large number of ahhem, "dependents" living in them, so the taxes for the people that live there and work/pay taxes are rather high... so they are to be avoided.

Now, some of you maybe be thinking "wow - that's cheap" and it is, but it is also an hour to the nearest decent sized city with airport... so you have to take that into consideration. The local shopping, well it sucks But that's of little concern to me.

This is very exciting for us - I am really pumped because it's near my bud - who is the closest thing to a "best friend" that I have (other than my wife), the land is super productive - can grow anything on it, you can literally hunt year-round (deer, hog, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, dove and various varmints) and its populated by old fashioned country folks - the good kind.

The topography is rolling hills and there's a good sized river only 6 miles away (or less) and large lakes about 30 miles away - so if we want to go fishing we can do that as a day trip easy.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 03-18-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Sounds terrific!! Best of Luck!!

The banks are all whores these days, so be very careful!!!!

I'm going to talk to two or three there. You pretty much have to use a local bank.

Thumbs up

I am insanely jealous!!!
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I still think that getting 5 or 10 acres adjacent to a national forest would be a great way to go... especially in areas where the land pricing has risen to $8K+/acre.

That's the case in Texas - depending on where you locate of course - there's land for less than a thousand an acre - but its in a very remote desert area.

That's Awesome!

I want to do the same thing out here in a few years. (Working on getting enough to buy a parcel outright)

Sounds like a great find with all that water. And how cool to have a small private Lagoon? Get yourself some fish and crawdads right out of the back yard! Take fresh game at your leisure. Living in the heart of mother nature every day.

Sounds like heaven man!

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Running water means you might have some springs, nice very nice and the water insures it will be attractive to game. The one thing I don't have on my land is surface water, nice find. Any buildings or are you starting from scratch?
    I have surface water but it is about 500' down and steep.

No buildings on it. Not near a NF, no, but surrounded by acreages in a very rural area. This is near a friend's place.

The county will pop for a culvert and entrance ramp to the place and then I'll need to go for $1500 or so to get a bulldozer to make a short road/driveway up to the home site and clear the site. This will be about a 75 yard drive or so curving back to the clearing.

There is a natural draw that we can put a levy/burm accross to trap the running water and make a pond below where the bouse will sit.

I'm going to build a smaller place at first which will become the "guest house" later or maybe we just build onto it.

The goal is to build it as we go and have the whole place paid for in 10 years or less. I will be 60 at that point...
    Just a suggestion but what you may want to do is what I am doing on my newest farm. We built a 30x48 pole barn and ran electric and plumbing. We are finishing a small insulated living area (18x30) in it and then we are going to decide what kind/size of home to build. The house will be many years down the road. The living quarters will become office space/man cave/guest quarters etc. and we still have a nice size part for machine shop/work shop or whatever.

Pics please.

Rage

Rage, not sure if you mean me or Buford - I'll post some pics after I get it done... and Buford, that's a good idea. I have thought of doing that... that space could just become an air conditioned shop space too...

One good thing about this is that I am in sales. I entertain customers.... I should be able to write-off my expenses for this property based on my use of it for entertaining customers. I have to get a good accountant for this.

Rage, not sure if you mean me or Buford - I'll post some pics after I get it done... and Buford, that's a good idea. I have thought of doing that... that space could just become an air conditioned shop space too...

One good thing about this is that I am in sales. I entertain customers.... I should be able to write-off my expenses for this property based on my use of it for entertaining customers. I have to get a good accountant for this.
    I'd like to see your land if you don't mind.

Rage

Very nice man!! VERY nice!

Im not sure how people can think about living, or buying in large cities or towns if they really believe that there is something coming down the pike..
    What your doing is going to mean the world to your kids as well!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Lucky duck!!!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    Very nice man!! VERY nice!

Im not sure how people can think about living, or buying in large cities or towns if they really believe that there is something coming down the pike..
    What your doing is going to mean the world to your kids as well!
    Thank you - I am hoping that we can move there in a couple of years - cause that's exactly how I feel too. Regardless of what happens, I would rather be in a rural area, living as much off the grid as I can reasonably manage. It's really the only way that we will have anything close to a "retirement" when the time comes.

Not that I'm ever planning on just vegging - but I don't want to continue the travel and BS for any longer than I have to. I think it would be nice to get an FFL and start an on-line gunshop maybe - or something like that that I would enjoy and that would cover the bills.

One step at a time though - and you guys that have already done this have shown the way - thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast