Thread: I'm Now Safe to Own a Firearm

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I'm Now Safe to Own a Firearm

Well, at least according to the Navy. The Navy recently came out with a correspondence course on firearm safety. In order to store a weapon in a base armory or to keep a weapon in base housing you have to take this course. There is some talk, though it has not happened yet, of making this course a requirement to own a weapon while on active duty.

I took the course today on the computer. It took about 30 minutes, and it was very, very basic. They went over the basic rules (always treat a gun as if it is loaded, don't put your finger on the trigger or take off the safety until you are ready to shoot, etc) about 10 times. Between each time there was a short quiz on the topic. Then there was a section on the parts of a gun, like the muzzle, slide, chamber, trigger, and trigger guard. There was also a section on the differences between a pistol, rifle, shotgun and revolver. Before describing each weapon there was a note to refer to the owner's manual for the specific type of gun you own. The next section was on how the various guns operate. There are 7 steps, but I am not going to bore you with what they were. Last, was a section on who could own a firearm and what you could do to lose that right. An intersting thing I did not know was that if you recieve a less than honorable discharge you cannot own a firearm. Also, if you are found mentally deficient or spend a year in a mental institution you lose the right to keep and bear arms. Someone should had told that to the guy in AZ.

Anyway, I am done with it, so I am now safe. I think I should send the link to that DEA agent. Maybe he won't shoot himself in the foot next time.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

So let me get this streight if you get say a medical discharge from the military you are screwed? I thought it was only if you got a dishonerable discharge.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Do the SEAL Team members have to take this course as well?
    I mean, they need to know how to be safe too...

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    So let me get this streight if you get say a medical discharge from the military you are screwed? I thought it was only if you got a dishonerable discharge.
    On the 4473 it only states dishonorable discharge. BTW the BATF is now starting to go after ammo sales to those with dishonorable and other deniable conditions on a NIC's check. If you own a shop and get a deny on a person for a firearm that means no sales of ammo either. I can see the Walmarts and larger shops having issues with this.

On a related note I've also heard a dishonorable discharge means no ownership of property either.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    There is nothing dishonorable about a medical discharge unless it is for mental reasons where you could be considered a danger to yourself or others.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Do the SEAL Team members have to take this course as well?
    I mean, they need to know how to be safe too...
    As far as I can tell there are no conditions under which you can opt out, so even though all Seals do is shoot stuff and what they don't shoot they blow up, they have to take the course.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

So it's come to this. Computer based training. Nobody has time to actually, you know, teach anything anymore. It's all on computers now. Don't squids have to qualify on a weapon before they graduate basic or whatever they call it in the Navy, like everyone else? One would think that if you qualified then that should at least count a little bit towards 'being safe', wouldn't it?

If they keep this up, they'll have CBTs for how to get laid and not get the clap.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    So it's come to this. Computer based training. Nobody has time to actually, you know, teach anything anymore. It's all on computers now. Don't squids have to qualify on a weapon before they graduate basic or whatever they call it in the Navy, like everyone else? One would think that if you qualified then that should at least count a little bit towards 'being safe', wouldn't it?

If they keep this up, they'll have CBTs for how to get laid and not get the clap.
    Not sure what they do now, but when I went through Boot Camp we fired 5 .22 rounds through a 1911 ACE. It was a familiarization firing is all. What they do teach "squids" is how to do is fight fires on ships, fight flooding, do first aid, ect. Not a lot of shooting on a ship.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    As far as I can tell there are no conditions under which you can opt out, so even though all Seals do is shoot stuff and what they don't shoot they blow up, they have to take the course.
    Regulations have been and always will be regulations.