Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee! Made to taste!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    After I hurt my back I had a couple of years of therapy and prescribed exercises including free weights and swimming but I really believe the long walks at night with my dog in the city and in the forest in the day time did more for the back then all the rest of it. It made the dog happy and that made me happy so I tried a little harder and probably walked triple the distance I would have on my own. It is really hard to argue with "A dog is man's best friend".

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    After I hurt my back I had a couple of years of therapy and prescribed exercises including free weights and swimming but I really believe the long walks at night with my dog in the city and in the forest in the day time did more for the back then all the rest of it. It made the dog happy and that made me happy so I tried a little harder and probably walked triple the distance I would have on my own. It is really hard to argue with "A dog is man's best friend".
    No arguement there. Even when they are whining for a rawhide from the cupbord and driving you nuts. Like mine is right now.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Hey Brian, I found those 6.0 diesels are finicky about their oil. It's because the injectors use the engine oil to force the fuel into the cylinder under high pressure. There's two oil pumps in the engine; One that's for the engine lube, and the other to power the injectors. Because the fuel has to be injected under high pressure, the viscosity of the oil and how long the oil retains it's viscosity makes a difference. You'll notice it more after you change the oil than before.

I don't change my oil anymore. I quit when I went to dump the oil at Shucks. Just as I started to dump the oil, I realized the tank was full. When I tried to stop pouring the oil, it surged back and dumped all over me. It was at that moment I decided it wasn't worth the pain and bother. The engine likes fuel filter changes too. I change mine at every two oil changes. Those, I do myself.

btw... I got my truck back from the dealer this evening. It's much quieter and has more power. It idles smoother too. The next thing I'm changing is the exhaust. I'm going to a 4 inch to keep the exhaust temps down.
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    The back is doing so much better. I still have some discomfort. Notice I'm not using the word pain. I did some canyon diving today with my dog Cooper looking for traces of my lost cat. It felt good to be in the woods again and picking out game trails to follow through the brush. First time in almost a half year.

63- Things ain't 100 percent, but I can now hump the back country again... on a good day. Much better than before.
    Glad to read "no pain" and you are up and moving around. I hope you can find kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Glad to read "no pain" and you are up and moving around. I hope you can find kitty.
    Kitty is back at home. I found some pretty places in the woods around home that I hadn't been to. It's private property, so I guess you could say i was trespassing, but I had to find my cat. I know the neighbors, and they don't mind me taking walks, but I try not to take advantage of it and wear out my welcome.

63-Changed oil today. $50 in oil to fill 'er back up. Oh, gods. I can't believe you already got 270,000 miles on that truck of yours. Wow. I just rolled over 60,000 on mine. That's 8000 miles since last June when I bought the Beast. Yes, we call it the Beast, just like the Bronco before it.
    Last edited by btcave; 03-26-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Good morning, glad all are back home safe. My dog is snoring on the floor. I have not walked her since I moved into this place, no excuses now the snow is gone. I think its time for a walk...

Right after my coffee. Everyone have a Fantastic Day.

Had a rather bad weekend. Saturday, I woke to find a leak in my kitchen. Erika found the fitting for the hot water under the sink was leaking. Also, the garbage disposal had loosened and was also leaking around the sink. I took care of them with little problem. However, while I was out getting plumber's putty, more things went wrong. I was heading home on the freeway doing 65-70mph when it started to deluge (bet you didn't know that is an actual term to describe how heavy rain is coming down ). I mean it looked like someone had turned on a firehose on my truck's windshield! Then it started hailing on top of that. Shortly afterwards, my windshield wipers stopped working. I could hear the motor running, but the linkage wasn't working. I managed to get home without killing anyone. Just as I got home, I got a call to pick up my truck. Sunday, I noticed water seeping onto the kitchen floor. I figured it was from the leak I repaired, so I mopped up the water and Erika placed towels on the floor to soak up any water that may continue to seep out. This morning, Erika said she found the leak. The hose on top of the water heater is leaking. Fortunately, I had installed shut off valves on all the water lines near the water heater in case I ever have to replace the water heater. Unfortunately, I got tiles coming up in the kitchen now.

On the up side, the truck purrs so nicely that even the cat starts purring inside the truck!

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Brian, did you notice any performance increase after you changed your oil? I usually do. At least by the seat of my pants.

My dealer detailed my truck while it was in the shop. Cleaned the dash, vacuumed and scrubbed the carpets, got the dust out of the vents, cleaned the windows, and put protectant on my leather seats.

Anyone seen hide or hair of AWP?

Quote Originally Posted by 63DH8 View Post
    Brian, did you notice any performance increase after you changed your oil? I usually do. At least by the seat of my pants.
    Maybe a bit smoother and responsive acceleration, but since I drive it like an old man and baby the heck out of it, it's hard to tell.

...what is it with you and plumbing?!?!

Plumbing, always out of sight and out of mind, a luxury when it works and the bane of our existence when it doesn't. I have the tools and the back ground but I hate plumbing, hate it, hate it, hate it....except when it's working right then I love it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by 63DH8 View Post
    Anyone seen hide or hair of AWP?
    I thought he posted a thread a while ago. Hope he comes back.

Were planning another attempt to get the Gadsden flag flown over the capitol on Memorial day for those who sponsored our Liberty. My son who served in the Marines tried last year but was denied. The folks at the capitol claim its a "partisan symbol" they are ignorant. We've been trying to educate them but they are extra dense.

I started a group on facebook to plan it. Were going to storm the capitol with requests to assure "Never Forgotten" is more than words. Along with the Gadsden flag a request for each of the Military branches also. I want to send them to Afghanistan to my active duty sons buddies deployed there.

Just a guess here but considering most politicians woeful lack of knowledge of the constitution and American history I am betting you a dollar to a donut that they have absolutely no idea who Christopher Gadsden was or that Benjamin Franklin had anything to do with the flag. Ah the public school system strikes again.

THUCYDIDES.

Been a bit quiet on the eastern front, but Im alive. I hoped this spring wouldnt be as busy as it is. Been living at work more or less. Thats not good because Im supposed to fart arround OG`s porch soon. Hope I can get a week or so to get away from it all.

Nothing new from norway. Snow is going away, sun is up and the days are getting longer every day. So everything is normal.

Now that the ice is going away from our lakes and stuff I have to check with you guys if you still know what to do if you see a Sweed drowning..... Yes, the answer is still, do nothing.

Go ahead and try to drown me you little runt. I'll float out there with my lunch box on my belly and use you for bait.

Besides you can't skip out two years in a row, I have a semi trailer full of targets and I can't shoot them up fast enough by myself.

Horatio the rattler says "Hissss", that's rattle snake talk for 'Hi, when is my snack coming?' I think he is kidding. I'm pretty sure he is kidding, ever since I gave him those pickled herring he has developed a craving for Norwegian.

THUCYDIDES.

Looking forward to empty that trailer.... Horatio however...not so sure about him. Make him behave and Ill say hello. If not Ill drop by a pet shop and buy a Mungo, or Mung(o)ose or whatever you call them over there.

Enough chilli, habanero, coffee and good stories piled up?

Hi all.

Ah, Friday. I'm seriously thinking of taking a Yoga class. I'm told it strengthens the core and I could seriously use relaxation techniques for my high blood pressure, which incidentally has gone down some since leaving the service. I found an instructor who is also a physical therapist. This should be good for my continued recovery of my back and sciatic nerve.

Oh, April 1st. Today is my official first day as a civilian as per my retirement orders putting me into the retired reserve. I'm now what's called a gray area retiree. That's the limbo land the reserve and national guard retiree's are in from the time they get out and the time the pension kicks in. That won't happen for another 17 years. So I will continue to plug away at the high tech industry and enjoy all my weekends free and my summers uninterrupted by 3 weeks of Annual Training.

Mmmm. Good coffee this morning.
    Last edited by btcave; 04-01-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Yoga..... Funny you mention that. When I was going to bed last night Mona messed up my usuall sleeping habbit. She told me she had just gotten a new app for her got damn Iphone. It was a relaxing Yoga thing. A guy with a rather dull brittish accent guided you through the whole thing. I fell asleep halfway through it. I slept like a baby. Thing is.... I think Ill steal her Iphone every night from now on. It worked pretty good to make me relax.... I still dont like Apple though.

I had a Tai Chi tape I was going to start following. Bought it a little over 10 years ago, been through a couple of TV's and 3 or 4 VCR's since then but never got past the second viewing of the tape. Made the mistake of playing it in my bedroom and laying down to watch it. I have seen the first 3 or 4 minutes twice, never got around to the third time.
    Maybe you guys are onto something, I could stop getting up at 3AM and going back to bed at 6AM if I just slept better to begin with.

Must be Spring, snowed most of last night, rained most of today.

THUCYDIDES.

OG.. you should try to find the same guy I was listening to. If you cant manage to relax, his voice will make you sleep anyhow.... Like Black Adder says... A cunning plan.

Ditto over here. Spring was so nice. Sun, birds singing, water flowing all over. And then a heavy snowfall ruins it. Then again, its just snow. Snow isnt a killer where I live.

Im sitting here thinking.... I think Iv lost my "is" and "are" rules. Send me a mail and enlighten me on that OG, please.

Going to the blackpowder range today. An old Whitney has to be broken in. I dont think they did that 147 years ago. Today pistols and revolvers are pretty much all sighted in at 25m or so... All of those military revolvers from the 1800`s were sighted in at 70 yds give or take a little. What happened to our skills? Politics were, aim for the belt buckle, you`ll hit something.

Anywho.... have a great weekend

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast