Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee! Made to taste!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    'Is' and 'are' rules? I need a hint.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

He is, she is, you are, he was, she was, you were and all that.... I mix it up sometimes.... Maybe this is one of those things you never think of? Because you just "know" whats the right thing to use. Same thing over here. Our best norwegian teachers are infact foreigners. Because they know the grammar, why it is this and that way. A born norwegian just see and hear the right grammar. Not why its that way...... You know what I mean?

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Sun is out, but it's windy and about 49 degrees F.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Best English speakers are foreigners who learned the formal style of speaking in class. Girl child was a straight A student in languages but she quickly found out that she learned more about how French was really spoken with her pen pals and not from class. Learned more Spanish working with her volunteer church group making houses in Mexico in the summer than she did all year in school. I don't know about her Italian. Mine was waterfront Italian so probably not good for polite company.

Best thing is just to be around it and pick it up as you go. I guarantee you will be ruined by the time you leave .............. uh, I mean you will be speaking it pretty good by the time you leave here. If you go all formal on me I won't know how to behave around you.

7 mph winds, sunny and a delightful 56 degrees. Got some shooting in today. Boy am I rusty.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Does anyone speak chicken, I'm thinking of getting a couple for eggs. So far leghorns look the best for laying me lots of eggs. Maybe 2 or 3, not sure where to get them and how to know they are females. The info sites say get peeps to be sure they will like me. the forum I found says they like to cuddle? There was also a site to buy them online and have them shipped? good idea....? My head is spinning.

I don't know about your area but the best source here is the local feed store. They deal with them because they get to sell the feed for them. The old boys sitting around jawing away will have the answers best suited for your area.

You get the little ones you won't know right away who is him and her is her but as soon as they begin to show you got some fine young tender eating chickens. Unless you want to raise your own replacements you won't need a rooster so they will all be expendable. The neighbors would appreciate it too.

THUCYDIDES.

Thanks OG, roosters are not what I want. Maybe I should start with some that are a little older than peeps.

I almost hit a turkey in the road this am, 4 more were crossing behind it. Brazen birds around here. Unless they are where they can be hunted, then you wont see any.

I know a guy that picked up 5 chickens. They all turned out to be roosters. His wife still laugh.

Oslo area is rainy and about 40F.

Pretty proud of myself. Last night I managed to totally disassembly a winchester 1886 and put it back together. J.M Browning was no stupid fella. When I see the prices on these old rifles I praise my lucky star. I didnt pay much for this one. Then again the action is good, but the bore looks like Mao Zedongs ass. Dark and scary. Not sure Ill hit the paper at 10 feet.

Any plans for the Easter holliday folks?

5 roosters? Hopefully it didnt take long to figure out there would be no eggs. Great work, winchester is here in CT let us know how it shoots..

The more info I get the less likely the chickens will be in my yard. Tomatoes and blueberries seem more likely.

Rainy here again today, tornado watch all the way from New Jersey to Fla. Weird...

Have a Fabulous Day Everyone.

When I was a kid, my neighbors had a rooster that would visit us exactly at 0500 from the fencepost outside of my bedroom windows. That wasn't so too bad during the weekends as I had to get up for school about that time. However, weekends, that wasn't my cup of tea as I wasn't getting up that early. One weekend during the summer, my neighbors had a horse show to go to, and my parents were in Seattle. I decided to put a stop to early wake-ups. I got my dad's photography lamps. You know the ones that photographers use to light up their subjects for Easter pictures? I set up two of them. I set my alarm for 0450. I got ready after the alarm woke me. I had the window open and my Winchester shotgun cocked and loaded. At 05, I heard rustling in the bushes. I waited until I heard the rooster fly to the top of the fencepole. I hit the switch to the lamps, and saw the rooster right in front of me on that fence pole about five feet away, ruffling up his feathers. He got a "cock-a-do" out when I squeezed the trigger on my shotgun! It took me the rest of the weekend to get rid of all the evide... I mean feathers. I hadn't realized I had a deer slug chambered.

About a week or two later, my neighbor asked if I saw their rooster. I pointed out towards the woods where I tossed the remains and said, "I saw him heading that way a while back." My neighbor said, "I hope the coyotes didn't get him. They've been howling out in that directions for the past couple of weeks."
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

63D LOL.

"somebody a kill it anda I makea the soup!"

My DIL said she was being attacked by a rooster as a child and her little old Italian grandfather ran to her rescue shouting that armed with a wooden spoon.

So was this a specialty slug or a special purpose slug and was it really sufficient or did you have to shoot twice. Neighbors had 5 roosters but wouldn't kill any of them because they were to soft hearted to kill an animal. I told them that eventually the alpha rooster would kill the other roosters starting with the low roster on the totem pole but I was assured that would not happen because they were raised togehter and they were all friends.

One day I am outside putting gas in the Mule and hear BOOM and usually they only shoot 22's in their back yard. I go over and there was his last rooster shot with a 12 gauge with a turkey load of #6 shot, the only shells they ever buy because turkey's are the only game bird they hunt.

He killed the other roosters and I'm not going to have an animal like that on my property he says. I bit my lip, you would have been proud of me. I got all the way home and in the house before I laughed. His boy tried to tell him that with the other roosters gone there was nothing else this rooster would have killed. His girl blamed him for all 5 roosters death, her dad should have done something to stop them from fighting. Sad part is they are used to cleaning game animals and eating them but the rooster was buried.

I love city people living in the country. They keep reminding me we didn't all grow up on farms and what is obvious to some of us is completely foreign to others.

THUCYDIDES.

It was a regular 2-3/4 inch 12 gage deer slug that was available in the late 70s. Nothing fancy. I think a varmint round like a 22.250 would have done a better job, but I didn't know of such thing back then. As it was, the slug blew the rooster into chunks. But on a whole, they were few small chunks, but mostly feathers and a few large chunks.
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

So much for being the alpha bird in the flock.

Here's one I wanted to do when I was a kid but after trying once with a sling shot and failing miserably my tattle tale sisters told on me and I never got the chance to try it with a real gun.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81419205/

Today that is probably a Federal crime. A fellow can't tell for sure, there are to many laws on the books to try and keep track of them.

THUCYDIDES.

You did good OG, hard not to laugh in the face when its so obvious.

The RTC Chair of one of the towns I ran for state rep in says Im now in the regional district with his town, and he suggests that they need fiscally conservative people on the school board. It will be an election but on a small scale.

edit: I do miss poking my finger in the eye of tyrants.

Let's see, you are an experienced campaigner now that gives you a leg up, you have face recognition now, that's a leg up. If you get on the school board you get to affect the most important institution in our country, that's pretty important. Then when you run for town council, mayor, senator, governor you will have had elected office experience. You weren't doing anything but working your little tail off anyway were you?

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Let's see, you are an experienced campaigner now that gives you a leg up, you have face recognition now, that's a leg up. If you get on the school board you get to affect the most important institution in our country, that's pretty important. Then when you run for town council, mayor, senator, governor you will have had elected office experience. You weren't doing anything but working your little tail off anyway were you?
    Nope... and I miss giving them
    hell.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    Nope... and I miss giving them
    hell.
    And they miss catching hell. Kathy is coming, Kathy is coming.

THUCYDIDES.

Your funny OG, I hope we all can get together one day. Taste that rhubarb pie.

Rhubarb... wonder if that is what we call "rabarbaraba". Funny word, and it makes funny faces on kids trying it for the first time. My brother used to have a bicycle that was to large for him. He didnt know how to get of it. The rhubarb was his landing site. Every day you could see him come home from school, go arround the corner of the house...and, flomp.

Spring it is. And like every spring I forget to dress lighter. Makes me sweat like a blind gay man in a sausage line.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast