Thread: opinions on remmy 798 in 308 cal

opinions on remmy 798 in 308 cal

theres one here locally for 500 with a green lam stock that i dont like but he has a butler creek black stock with a bushnell trophy scope...iv been looking for a savage in 308 but cant find one . my plan is to sell a savage 110 in 30-06 w/ accutrigger and finance a 308 boltgun in the sub $500 range .i have absolutely no 30-06 ammo but a fair amount of 308 ammo as i have a saiga 308...anyways i know nothing about the 798 although iv always been a fan of the 700's

The 798 is Mauser action bolt gun built at Zastava factory. The only thing they made that sucked was the Yugo (the car).

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i dont like them on principal.

yes, they are imported mauser actions. in fact, the exact same imported mausers charles daily was selling for $300 before remington bought out their contract.

i liked the daily mausers, but i dont see how stamping a different name in the receiver and NOTHING ELSE can justify a $200+ jump in price.

When they first came out dealer price was about $50-75 different, but you also got the Remington name, slightly better quality and nicer stocks. I say some of that $200 is dealer mark up.
    Last edited by mriddick; 03-20-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    i liked the daily mausers, but i dont see how stamping a different name in the receiver and NOTHING ELSE can justify a $200+ jump in price.
    Sounds like Springfield and the XD...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Anyone here home brew a large ring mauser in 308?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Anyone here home brew a large ring mauser in 308?
    I've done a few over the years, back when actions were cheap and new israeli barrels were $20. At one time you could buy a bubba large ring, a barrel and work it up for under $100. My last 308 mauser is a 1912/61 Chilean (original condition) that has a mint bore, my sporter bolt 308 is a Weatherby Vangard (Howa 1500) I bought for a grand sum of $200 at a pawn shop about 6 years ago. IMO a large ring std action is about as easy as it gets to convert to 308, the problem today is with the stevens 200 and Mossberg 4x4's out there you can buy new cheaper then you can make.

Wht not just rebarrel the Savage to .308? Super easy and lots of barrels online to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I've done a few over the years, back when actions were cheap and new israeli barrels were $20. At one time you could buy a bubba large ring, a barrel and work it up for under $100. My last 308 mauser is a 1912/61 Chilean (original condition) that has a mint bore, my sporter bolt 308 is a Weatherby Vangard (Howa 1500) I bought for a grand sum of $200 at a pawn shop about 6 years ago. IMO a large ring std action is about as easy as it gets to convert to 308, the problem today is with the stevens 200 and Mossberg 4x4's out there you can buy new cheaper then you can make.
    How did you find the accuracy of said pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    How did you find the accuracy of said pieces?
    Several gave me inch and half groups with minor work.