Thread: The Movies Lie!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The Movies Lie!

I took my brother-in-law shooting awhile back. He is from England and had never shot a gun before. We worked our way up from .22 LR, to 9mm, then to .32 WSP, then we topped it off with my 12 ga. I would fire each gun to show him how it kicked and then I would ask if he wanted to shoot it or not. It was a good day. When I gave him the Winchester he only fired it once, and then put it down. When we moved to the 12 ga, he fired it once, then respectfully, and I mean respectfully, he place the shotgun on the table. He then looked at me and said, very seriously, "the movies lie!". I couldn't have said it better myself.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

+73
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Good show old chap!
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

He needs to grow a pair and learn to love 12 guage.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You mean to tell me that in the movies when the bad guy with the "AK-47" opens fire and doesn't let go of the trigger for 30 seconds, that is a lie?

That a guy flying through the air sideways firing pistols in each hand (with no recoil) managing to knock down 15 bad guys with a single shot is a lie?

Well DUH!

Yes, it is beyond belief that when people see things on TV or in the movies they take them to be real and the truth.

Like a car going high speed hits a parked car and then flies through the air over the parked car, with no damage to either car (in fact, the parked car doesn't even mover), and upon landing on it's roof, skidding upside down a few feet, the people inside get out and immediately run away. Must be true!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Talking

I'm not sure how he means "The Movies Lie". Did he elaborate? Movies are fantasy usually. I've never had a 15 round mag that will shoot 100 rounds. I've never blown fist sized holes in a wall and I've never seen lead bullets spark when they hit things.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I was always under the impression when you pulled the trigger and fired the gun that the time would stop and blow up the world in an earth shattering kaboom!
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'm not sure how he means "The Movies Lie". Did he elaborate? Movies are fantasy usually. I've never had a 15 round mag that will shoot 100 rounds. I've never blown fist sized holes in a wall and I've never seen lead bullets spark when they hit things.
    He was rubbing his shoulder when he told me, so I think he was talking about the lack of recoil and the ability to get off a quick second shot, especially when that person has never fired a gun before.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    earth shattering kaboom!
    I love this. There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I've noticed that the bi-metal or mild steel jacketed rounds always spark at the indoor range I go to.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

romak10/63UF
    Do you know in the movie " terminator " when there in the smelting plant an John Conners mom only has one had an shes able to work the pump action shotgun with one hand ? well let me tell you its harder then you think.

Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    Do you know in the movie " terminator " when there in the smelting plant an John Conners mom only has one had an shes able to work the pump action shotgun with one hand ? well let me tell you its harder then you think.
    It never made sense to me why she would do that on a semi-auto shotgun. Maybe it was ineffective against the liquid terminator because she was using specialty less lethal ammo.

Tried shooting two 1911 akimbo once. As fast as I could, "John Woo style".
    Target was 3x3' 10 meters away.
    There was a rain fo spent cases, splinters from the tunnel's wooden walls, sprays of sand from the floor and, when all cleared, one glancing hit and one hit low right in one corner of the target.

Shooting a SAA "fanning" the hammer is far more accurate, though. Three shots fired within 1,5 seconds, all three hit the target (same conditions as above) a little low and quite evenly spaced horizontally.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

In war you play to win 100-0, not 51-49!

"Those who have forged their swords into ploughs, will plough for those who haven't."

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    It never made sense to me why she would do that on a semi-auto shotgun. Maybe it was ineffective against the liquid terminator because she was using specialty less lethal ammo.
    What are you talking about? Semi auto? In T2, Sarah Connor was using a pump action Remington 870 with a factory top folder stock and an extended magazine tube. And I can one hand rack like her. Those of you who can't are weak girly men!!!!!!!! Remember that Sarah Connor was injured in one arm. She used the injured arm to just press the trigger and used her one good arm to do everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    What are you talking about? Semi auto? In T2, Sarah Connor was using a pump action Remington 870 with a factory top folder stock and an extended magazine tube. And I can one hand rack like her. Those of you who can't are weak girly men!!!!!!!! Remember that Sarah Connor was injured in one arm. She used the injured arm to just press the trigger and used her one good arm to do everything else.

Damn dude, I'm ashamed.

Haven't watched that movie in too long. The top folder stock made me remember it as a SPAS-12, which was featured in Terminator But not Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

Congratulations, you out-nerded me.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Good old Sarah, she's the man!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    +73

I had no idea you were that old.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!