Thread: New 10mm

New 10mm

Just got it out of hock this afternoon.

S&W 310 NG. Has a Trijicon front site, ultra-light frame, rubber grips, and that short-assed barrel. My DW CBOB in 10mm is handful, so this is going to be something else.

Can't wait to get out and put a few rounds through it.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Those shoot 40SW with the moon clips too don't they?

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Those shoot 40SW with the moon clips too don't they?
    From what the sales monkey behind the counter told me, yes. I don't know if I'll shoot it with Fotay short and weak or not. Prolly not.

ETA: Was just trolling the S&W website and found this. Model 357 Night Guard in .41 Mag. IwantIwantIwantIwantIwant.
    Last edited by hazmat; 03-23-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

A buddy of mine just picked up a Glock 20 (full size, 10mm) and that thing is a blast to shoot. Muzzleflash is a bit much even when using powered down loads, but still fun.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    From what the sales monkey behind the counter told me, yes. I don't know if I'll shoot it with Fotay short and weak or not. Prolly not.

ETA: Was just trolling the S&W website and found this. Model 357 Night Guard in .41 Mag. IwantIwantIwantIwantIwant.
    .41 mag is my favorite revolver cartridge. I purchased my 1 and only S&W Model 57 in 1978, it has the 8 3/8ths inch barrel on it. It's a handfull with full power loads and very accurate. That said I don't think it's suitable for anything other than hunting game animals. That small light .41 there will kick like a mule with full power magnum rounds. I was chronographing 1410 fps with my 57 and its long barrel on 220 gr. half jacketed semi-wadcutters. I have a 220 gr. cast bullet that I load with 6 grs. of Bullseye, it does 950 fps and the recoil is milder than a .38 spl.

I can't believe how expensive S&W revolvers have gotten. Your link shows a retail beyond 1K. I paid $279 bucks for my 57 in a Mahogony case.

BTW, I'm interested to see what sort of groupings you get from that wheel gun of yours in 10 mm. Power is great ... if you can put the rounds on target.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

As revolvers calibers go the 10mm isn't that powerful.

Yeah it's at the head of the class as far as pistol power, but ballistically it falls between the .357 magnum and .41 magnum.

Hot 10mm loads basically fall into the tame .41 mag levels.

The main advantage to the 10mm is it gives you magnum revolver power in a pistol caliber.

10mm revolvers are kinda cool but like 9mm or .45acp revolvers I've never really understood the appeal of a pistol round in a revolver.

Still definitely a cool revolver.

I bought my first 10mm on the recommendation of a fellow gunsnetter - to replace my .41 mag.
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congratulations! I bet you like your new 10mm a lot.

I've had this S&W 610-2, 3" barrel for a few years now and love it.

Yes you can shoot 40 S&W as well as 10mm. They both headspace off the moon clip so either one will work. In fact if you have the cylinder bored out a little you can also shoot 10mm Magnum.

I like the idea of shooting pistol cartridges in a revolver for a number of reasons. In the 10mm specifically, I like it as I shoot factory ammo only through my G26. The 610 is what I shoot reloads through. While I'm not overly concerned with a Kaboom in my Glock I just refer not to shoot reloads in it.

A revolver also allows more room for experimentation with cartridge length as you don't have to worry about feeding through the action or the magazine.

Another factor is the ability to use one cartridge in two totally different platforms. If you feel like carrying a wheelgun you can. If you don't then the same ammo, (with similar ballistics depending on what two guns you have) goes into your bottom feeder.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 03-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

One of the primary factors in my decision to purchase this little beauty (aside from the cool factor) was that I already have over 1800 rds of 10mm loaded up and ready to go. It gives me something to carry other than my CBOB for CC, and I get to shoot the shit out of it and not worry about losing brass out at the range. That, and I just had a hankering for good wheel gun. They had a stainless 610 with a 6" barrel without the zit, but a) I don't care much for stainless pistols (DW CBOB aside), and b) that 6" barrel just doesn't do anything at all for me.

Interestingly, I traded a Series 70 Colt Government 9mm 1911 for this piece. While I liked the 9mm Colt, it was something else I had to load for, and I really didn't feel like getting another toolhead for my Dillon and all the associated accoutrements.

I also have a Model 57-6, one of the new Classic pistols they came out with last year. She's got the 4" barrel, and it's infinitely more fun to shoot than my old 4 5/8" Blackhawk in the same caliber. I like the .41 because it's got all the snort of the 44 but without all the rip that goes with it.

When it decides it's going to stay warm and dry for more than 2 days at a stretch, I'm going to drag my chrony out and see what all my loads are pushing. Should be a fun day at the range.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post

Yes you can shoot 40 S&W as well as 10mm. They both headspace off the moon clip so either one will work. In fact if you have the cylinder bored out a little you can also shoot 10mm Magnum.

I like the idea of shooting pistol cartridges in a revolver for a number of reasons. In the 10mm specifically, I like it as I shoot factory ammo only through my G26. The 610 is what I shoot reloads through. While I'm not overly concerned with a Kaboom in my Glock I just refer not to shoot reloads in it.

A revolver also allows more room for experimentation with cartridge length as you don't have to worry about feeding through the action or the magazine.

Another factor is the ability to use one cartridge in two totally different platforms. If you feel like carrying a wheelgun you can. If you don't then the same ammo, (with similar ballistics depending on what two guns you have) goes into your bottom feeder.
    I love that model!
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Unless it is one of the "economy" sized pistols one would be foolish to load revolver hot in a semi.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

TOO SWEET.... I have a 10MM auto myself, revolver would be great.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I have a dozen 10mm pistols and have wanted to get this exact same model you have richard,but i haven't been able to find one that didn't have the fluted cylinder, are they still being made?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I have a dozen 10mm pistols and have wanted to get this exact same model you have richard,but i haven't been able to find one that didn't have the fluted cylinder, are they still being made?
    S&W is still making the Model 610 but the one I have was a limited run of only 300 made for Lew Horton Distributors back in 1998. They've always been hard to find but as each year passes I see fewer and fewer offered for sale.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

bet those things make one hell of a flash and noise