Thread: Night Sights on a Ak-47 ?

romak10/63UF

Night Sights on a Ak-47 ?

I am seriously thinking about buying a nice set of night sights for my romanian wasr 10/63 UF ... Why ? For some people they can see great during the day but for a select few people like me we are able to see even better at night time our night time perspective is better we can hear farther an see better at night time.

For this reason i have looked into the East german Clip on Night Sights for the ak-47
    I also have been looking at the after market ones like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/MEPROLT-AK-47-...05514&sr=1-170

Is there anybody else on this Ak-47 web site that has these 2 types of night sights ? Your opions will be very much helpful to help me decide witch one to buy.

Thank you Romak10/63UF

romak10/63UF
    NOBODY HAS NIGHT SIGHTS ON THERE AK-47 ?

swampdragon
    Mepro makes really nice quality stuff.
    But no, I don't have nights either.
    I have an Aimpoint CompML2

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I have a Kobra for night sights. I remove it in the daytime. Zero stays close enough for my intended range.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

You may look at the XS tritium stripe front sight. It works well with the ultimak rail and Aimpoint H-1.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

The front sight blade is WAY too fat on those for me. In fact I replace my front posts with .047 mm post so I can see the target and not a fencepost in my sight notch.

I've tried the EG clip-ons, and IMO they are a POS. The front sight piece never secured in place.

On the MEPRO, I can't see paying that much for an AK sight.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

romak10/63UF
    slamfire im honestly thinking about buying the metpro night sights to put on my ak-47 It looks like there made in isreal ...... So you know if they are made there then they must be battle proven good.

Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    slamfire im honestly thinking about buying the metpro night sights to put on my ak-47 It looks like there made in isreal ...... So you know if they are made there then they must be battle proven good.
    I have had weapons made by IMI (Baby Eagles), and have to say, they are some of the best weapons made.
    I don't know if the military uses the Mepro sights, but being made in Israel, there's a pretty good chance they do.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    The front sight blade is WAY too fat on those for me. In fact I replace my front posts with .047 mm post so I can see the target and not a fencepost in my sight notch.
    I agree the XS tritium stripe (not big dot) is too wide with an issued rear sight. If you open the rear sight just a little and round the corners it works much better, but is still wider than the standard Ak front sight. I get the best balance from running the XS stripe with a modified rear and an Aimpoint Micro. I will say that I find the tritium rear AK sight utterly useless, doesn't work for me at all.

romak10/63UF
    Its ok guys an gals i plan on buying the metro night sights an if i see a problem i will let yall know an i will post before an after pictures.. I plan if its to wide of a rear spectrum i will modify it with my dremel wheel to make it wide enough to see then reblue the parts i dremeled off. I did contact metro night sights to see if i could send in my original rear sight base but i havenot heart back from them.

Its ok guys an gals i plan on buying the metro night sights an if i see a problem i will let yall know an i will post before an after pictures.. I plan if its to wide of a rear spectrum i will modify it with my dremel wheel to make it wide enough to see then reblue the parts i dremeled off. I did contact metro night sights to see if i could send in my original rear sight base but i havenot heart back from them.
    Sounds like a plan.

If you contacted the company in Israel, don't hold your breath. I emailed them 3 months ago, and still not a peep.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

romak10/63UF
    Slamfire you have to use the magicly words to get ahold of the isreal company in isreal the magicly word is " SHALOM " its hebrew for hello ?

Slamfire you have to use the magicly words to get ahold of the isreal company in isreal the magicly word is " SHALOM " its hebrew for hello ?
    Me no speak hebrew.
    Guess I'm just SOL.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by xcatm View Post
    I agree the XS tritium stripe (not big dot) is too wide with an issued rear sight. If you open the rear sight just a little and round the corners it works much better, but is still wider than the standard Ak front sight. I get the best balance from running the XS stripe with a modified rear and an Aimpoint Micro. I will say that I find the tritium rear AK sight utterly useless, doesn't work for me at all.
    I looked at those XS stripe front posts.
    I like them.
    But I'd be running a rear Krebs peep sight that has no illumination.
    So I'm not sure how helpful a tritium front sight only would actually be.
    I love Aimpoint though.
    The batteries last forever and a day, and they are quite difficult to break.

The way I run mine, I don't want rear illumination. The front stripe on the sight is just a general reference point in low light. IMHO, if it's too dark to see your sights, it's too dark to make a good target ID in most cases, and if you can see your target you can still get your front sight wings on their center of mass. You are very correct about the Aimpoint, they aren't cheap, but you do get what you pay for. I just want to say again, if I wasn't using the Aimpoint I would stick with black steel sights. Like it has already been mentioned the thinner (within reason) the better. Is the Krebs peep a ghost ring or is it tighter than that?