Thread: Polishing stainless?

Polishing stainless?

I have an old stainless Ruger .44 SBH. She has been used quite a bit and is showing her age. I want to polish the scratches out but can't seem to get it right. There are no dents or gouges at all. Just light scratches. Dremel and jewlers rouge doesn't seem to work. I don't know it there is some sort of coating on the stainless or what but when I try to polish it, I get this black, thick plastic like gunk that builds up. Weapon is clean so I know it's not dirt, powder residue, or oil. Any suggestions on what to use to polish out the scratches and get rid of the gunk?
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Try Flitz with your polishing wheel/Dremel.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Try Flitz with your polishing wheel/Dremel.
    Well... shoot... forgot all about Flitz. Got some somewhere in a drawer. Thanks.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

As a material stainless alloys are harder so polishing scratches out is harder. It is the same with knives which is why carbon steel knives is easier to sharpen than stainless alloy ones.