Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgunning long range style.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Handgunning long range style.

What you see here is a pair of Magnum Research BFR (Biggest Finest Revolver), yeah right. Big F**king Revolver!

The top is a 10.5" 30/30 not pictured is the new EoTech sight like the one below has.

The bottom is a 7.5" 45/70.

Took the 45/70 to lease nearly every trip. We have been shooting rocks off hand at distances 40, 60, 93, and 120 yards.

NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Can't say I've ever tried to shoot a handgun past 200 yards. Had to walk my fire onto my target with my .45 at that range. Bang! .........thump.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I used to shoot my Ruger 7.5" BH in 45 Colt with hot handloads at 100 yards. Was pretty easy to keep em in 4" at that range (rested). It would do 1.5" at 50 yards if I did my part. Had a Leupy 1.5x scope on it and grips just like you have on your 45-70.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

We recently did some trading/purchasing of a few new handguns. First we traded a yugo sks for a stainless New Model Super Blackhawk .44 mag and mounted a Leupold FX II 2x20. Then found a Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 mag and a New model Blackhawk .45LC/.45 ACP convertible bought both for $800.00. My uncle bought a new Leupold FX II 2x20 scope and gave me the gun this past Saturday after I sighted it in at 50 yards. I have grips on order like the ones on the BFR 45/70, the 30/30 is now sporting the same grips and the Hunter is wearing the black BFR grips because the ones it came were a bit too froo froo. Ruger factory pearlite grips do not belong on a big revolver.

This one was super accurate, 5 of my six shots were one ragged hole. Produced a hell of a large fireball, made a dog howl, expectant mother went into labor early, and the earth shook...

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I knew they made the BFR in rifle calibers, but have never seen one...dayum that is one loooong cylinder. How much do they weigh?

We sold quite a few in 450 marlin, way more revolvers then ever sold rifles in that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    We sold quite a few in 450 marlin, way more revolvers then ever sold rifles in that caliber.

That was the caliber i was looking to buy in the BFR, but decided on the S&W .460 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post

This one was super accurate, 5 of my six shots were one ragged hole. Produced a hell of a large fireball, made a dog howl, expectant mother went into labor early, and the earth shook...
    Are you sure it's not in 10mm?

I honestly do not know the weight but it is stout. The cylinder spins freely both directions.

The 10mm would have caused another tsunami

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    The 10mm would have caused another tsunami
    x10

Glad you noticed.

We the same tastes in handguns, the gawd awful mighty 10mm......

and big nasty hunting revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    We the same tastes in handguns, the gawd awful mighty 10mm......

and big nasty hunting revolvers

I like 10 mm but I'm not set up for reloading it yet. I have a 10mm barrel and a few mags for the G21 but nothing serious is being done with it. My uncle and I keep our calibers compatible for ease of reloading.

Nice wheels. I'm a sucker for magnum revolvers. There is guy that comes to the range with us sometimes, he brings his boss on occasion. His boss owns 2 of the S&W 500, one 4" and one 2" with orange grips. Well when he bought them he was afraid to shoot them. He told his boss about me and how well I shoot. So his boss joined us and asked if I would "pop" his new revolver cherry. He wanted to see someone else shoot them before he did. Not sure what his plan was, did he think I was a noob, crazy or both? Don't know, did not care. I was going to shoot his ammo for free. The first round went off and he was standing close to me and he felt the whoosh of the blast. He said shoot up the ammo because he was not going to shoot it ever. LMAO! He offered to sell them both to me but I passed on them. Maybe I should have offered him 500 for both lol.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 03-28-2011 at 09:11 PM.

I think a lot a folks bought these guns for the WOW factor when they first came out, i still see a lot for sale that have only had one cylinder of ammo fired through them.

I watched a guy with one of those short barrel 500s drop it after the round went off at the range a couple years ago, recoil twisted it right out of his hand, he admitted to the range officer he had never fired anything bigger than a .45 before. I leaned over to look at the ammo he was using... 500 grn hornady. I told him to try a lighter grn bullet and he may be able to hang on to the gun a little easier. Sold me the rest of the box for 20 bucks.

I've got a Ruger SRH .454 casull with a 7.5" barrel, that little fucker is brutal with doubletap ammo, i hardly ever shoot it since buying the .460.

The 500 is snappy in those short barrels but I think more out of the longer barrels. I always feel like flash burn when I shoot the short barrel 500.

The range I go to really only lets my uncle and myself to shoot the big bores and only on the 50 and 100 yard line. The largest caliber they allow on the handgun range is .45 and no ghetto blasters like Tec-9, MAC, Dracos, etc. They do allow us to shoot the Thompson pistol there though.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Gotdamn! What are looking for a backpack gun for when you got them big boys?

And everyone said my Draco was useless.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Gotdamn! What are looking for a backpack gun for when you got them big boys?

And everyone said my Draco was useless.
    These are for hunting lol! I'm planning on taking a deer this coming fall with one of them.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    These are for hunting lol! I'm planning on taking a deer this coming fall with one of them.
    Sweet. I figured .44 mag was biggest handgun I'd ever own. How much more range does the .30-30 pistol give? I thought it would lose a lot of power in a pistol barrel.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Sweet. I figured .44 mag was biggest handgun I'd ever own. How much more range does the .30-30 pistol give? I thought it would lose a lot of power in a pistol barrel.
    Unsure on how much is lost if any. Still working with the load, tried match kings, hornady spitzers. So far the jacketed flat points are shooting the tightest. Using reload 7. We calculated that the power should be right around AK power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast