Thread: Wheels For Doomsday

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Wheels For Doomsday

I was thinking about what will happen when things go from bad to worse. Gas will be at a premium, if it's available at all. All those off-road vehicles, and 4-wheelers won't be any good without gas. Other than walking, we'll need some way to get from Point A to Point B a little quicker.

So, a bicycle is the obvious answer, but what kind of bike?

My guess would be one that doesn't have 21 gears and handlebars full of levers, etc. The bike would have to be simple to ride, easy to repair, and reliable. And, it might have to be camouflaged so it can be hidden easily. It should be able to pack a small load besides the rider.

A three-wheeled bike would be great for hauling heavier stuff, but it would be harder to hide, whereas a two-wheeler could be laid down and covered up, if necessary.

I'm going to start working on a basic bike that will meet these requirements: simple, sturdy, easy to maintain, and hide-able.

Might even try to make a small trailer for carrying necessary items from place to place, too.

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/RailSide.JPG

Updated version of what we rode when I was a munchkin. Simple leg power and those big tires would go anywhere and the little skinny tire guys couldn't keep up in grass, sand or gravel.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post

Updated version of what we rode when I was a munchkin. Simple leg power and those big tires would go anywhere and the little skinny tire guys couldn't keep up in grass, sand or gravel.
    In California, at least Southern California, those are called beach cruisers. Don't go fast, but they are faster than walking, and you can keep the speed up longer than running. I have seen those bikes carrying 3 teenagers. One on the handlebars, one pedaling, and one on the bolts that go to the back axle, so they will also handle some weight. And not very expensive either, unless you get a name brand.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've always thought a good bike would be a SHTF essential.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post

I thought bikes had stone wheels when you were a kid...................
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I was thinking the same thing - need to get a couple of bikes for me and mrs osok....

A high mpg type crossover type motorcycle maybe too, like a Yam T-200 (70 MPG). But I keep finding other things to buy with that money.... like right now, a down payment on some land in the sticks.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I like your thinking, but I wouldn't worry about camoflage yet... just keep some camo spray cans in the garage just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    I thought bikes had stone wheels when you were a kid...................
    Well...well...well it was soft stone and they were mostly round. For going uphill we just held on to Dino's leash and said "Git you little darlin' git on up thet hill thar."

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Methinks a Rokon would fit the ticket. No pedals, but go anywhere mobiliy, and low fuel consumption.

http://www.rokon.com/products/trailbrkr.htm

The pedaling boys won't need gas after it runs out and the pumps won't work or you blow a head gasket. Turtle will beat the hare and I'm the slowest turtle on the board.

THUCYDIDES.