Thread: NY - Widower Files Lawsuit Against Gander Mountain

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post NY - Widower Files Lawsuit Against Gander Mountain

Widower Files Lawsuit Against Gander Mountain

By WBNG News
    Bio By Candace Chapman
    Bio

Updated Apr 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The husband of ACA shooting victim Layla Salman Khalil is suing Gander Mountain Sports.

The lawsuit claims the business was negligent in selling handguns to a person who displayed aggressive, unstable behaviors.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Widow...119189939.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Widower Files Lawsuit Against Gander Mountain
    It [lawsuit] claims employees noticed Wong's behavior was angry, mentally unstable, and indicated he was a person likely to use a weapon in a manner that risked causing injury to himself or others.
    Interesting problem. On one hand, if the employees notice behavior which indicates a person may not be safe with a firearm, do they have the right to deny him?

What if the buyer passes the NICS?

What if the buyer is denied and then sues the store? First thing the employees will be asked will be "Are you a trained psychologist?" "Do you have any formal training that would enable you to judge the mental state of a person?"

I think if I were a Gander Mt. salesperson, I would walk away and get a manager and let him worry about it.

A private FTF sale is different. I have no obligation to sell to anyone and I can sell or refuse to sell on my own whim. But in a STORE that kind of thing is "discrimination".

Glad I'm not the judge on this one...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Rule number one when I worked in a place that sold firearms: If you don't feel comfortable making the transaction, don't. There's not a single regulation that says you HAVE to sell a firearm to anyone. That goes for any FTF I do as well.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    Rule number one when I worked in a place that sold firearms: If you don't feel comfortable making the transaction, don't. There's not a single regulation that says you HAVE to sell a firearm to anyone. That goes for any FTF I do as well.
    Well, I've never had a job selling firearms, but I can tell you that regardless of law, or regardless of NICS... if I didn't feel "right" about the sale, I wouldn't sell.

I've only sold one gun (a rifle) FTF, and it was to a guy that I've known for years. I wouldn't sell FTF to someone I didn't know... even if they seemed "OK".
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!