Thread: MI - Are Hollow-Point Bullets Illegal For Personal Defense

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post MI - Are Hollow-Point Bullets Illegal For Personal Defense

Monday, April 4th, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Are Hollow-Point Bullets Illegal For Personal Defense

Michigan --(Ammoland.com)- Q: Are hollow-point bullets illegal for personal defense? What about laser sighting devices?

A: There is no statutory restriction on the type of ammo that you can carry in your personal defense weapon. Nor is there any prohibition on sighting devices. There may be some potential concerns about jury perception if you ever have to use your gun in self-defense and find yourself facing charges. (This is much less likely to occur at this point in history than prior to the enactment of Public Act 311 of 2006 [MCL 780.951] which created presumptions that deadly force is appropriate in certain situations and also created qualified immunity to those who use force in legitimate self defense.)

There have been examples of prosecutors focusing on the hardware used by defendants. They try to overcome the self-defense argument by painting a picture of the armed citizen as blood-thirsty. In one particular case in another state, the defendant used a certain brand of hollow-point ammo that came in a box featuring a picture of a hawk or eagle talon. It appears that the tactic was successful and contributed to the conviction of an armed citizen who argued that he fired to save his life. I’m told that the particular brand of ammo in question has changed it’s name and packaging.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/04/04/a...sonal-defense/

Steve Mace
    After today, it's all historical.

God, I hope not....that's all I use.

I do tend to favor the same ammo that LE uses though.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I remember that. And I remember thinking that the guy must have had a crappy lawyer as all he had to do is point out that law enforcemnt used the same brand and that's why his client chose it...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~