Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a NIB RoMak 1

Here's a PIc as of now...

Lysol disinfectant wipes are your friend when dealing with cosmoline.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    That picture brings back memories of things we will never see imported again unless we the people ever get our full rights restored.

Nice rifle Helen!!!! About the only problem I ever had with those early Romanians were the pistol grip part of that stock was designed for someone with the fingers of a NBA player!

it has one of the most beautiful set of handguards I've ever seen BUT

I picked up a birch set of Timbersmith furniture for it .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    It takes HI-cap mags,

gonna take some cleaning stuff with me to clean off the cosmo and head straight to the range after I pick it up.
    Hey, FWIW, I bought an old Mauser covered in Cosmoline one time and an unfired Yugo SKS still in the cosmo... the easiest way I found to clean them, wen't to Home Depot and bought a 4ft length of PVC Pipe with a diameter big enough to stick the rifle in. PVC-Glued an end cap on one end, stuck the rifle in then filled it up with gasoline and let it soak over night.

Yes, I know the dangers of gas and some even say to use Diesel... gasoline was all I had. But it cut the cosmoline great to be able to wipe it off with a rag and tooth brush.... Soaking over night in gas did not eat the PVC glue away and it did not leak.

I then took the rifle with the stock parts removed, stripped it down as much as I could... baked it in the oven at a low temp to drive out more of the cosmoline in the cracks... washed it down with "Purple Power" degreaser, sprayed with chlorine free brake cleaner... then wiped it down with some BreakFree CLP and put it back together..... This technique has worked great for surplus rifles with cosomo.... perhaps I was a little too anal retentive in cleaning?
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 04-14-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Here it is cleaned up with Timbersmith stock set.
    No barrel threads.. had one of the weird step down nuts tack welded and pressed on.

has a actually smooth Centurdy marked FCG too.

I'll see how it actually feels tomorrow when I zero it.

alongside the polish.

The exposed barrel is about 1.8" longer than a standard barrel nut.

Anyone make a longer Nut or SLant brake ?? Just gonna tack weld it in place.

BTW

Imported by D.I.G. Va Beach VA
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 04-14-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    if the factory handguards are laminated I know someone who wants them....

all these nice new AK's of yours, almost makes me want to go out and find another one, but we all know I'm far too cheap for that.

SHot it this morning.

NO adjustments Dead on at 100yds in the pouring rain.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 6gunsal View Post
    Because he is changing out the stock set and making it evil? I thought compliant parts only aplied to rifles being built in the US, but I am definitely no authority on compliance so I could very well be wrong.
    Romak series Romanian AK's were set up like Mak 90 weapons. Thumbhole stocks, no threaded muzzle, (more on this in a minute), no bayonet lug. Otherwise they were unaltered and take high cap mags just fine. They were NOT, repeat NOT single stack guns. Clearly he is wanting to get the thumbhole stock off and make it look right. His stock set will be US compliant, at least 2 counting parts if not 3 should he also get a pistol grip made here. Back to the muzzle threads. Some Romak guns had threads under the welded on nut, some didn't. From my perspective it was about a 50/50 shot of getting one with threads vs. a smooth muzzle they still shoved a nut over and welded it down. I've done 4 of them in the day and that was the break down, half had threaded muzzles, half didn't. In as much as he's altering the weapon to a Not able to be Imported config. he needs to get his foreign parts count to 10 or less for 922r compliance.

Edit: I see the rest of the thread now after making my initial post. I see you had a smoothie when you removed the nut. You might be able to thread it if they didn't shave the muzzle down. In any case it's a very fine looking AKM, congratz!
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-16-2011 at 06:03 PM.

it's been cut down too much to accept threads.

I'm just gonna make my own big nut and weld it on

BTW

no trigger slap
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    it's been cut down too much to accept threads.

I'm just gonna make my own big nut and weld it on

BTW

no trigger slap
    Yeah, I had a Romak as well and no trigger slap on that one either. Some more trivia, there were also two receivers in the Romak line. One was square at the back as it should be and others were cut out so that the pistol grip could be moved closer to the trigger on the thumbhole stock. Now that I think of it, I had two of those rifles. The first had the square receiver and I hated the grip, my finger wasn't really long enough to get to the trigger without rotating my hand a bit. I sold that one and got one of the angle cut models. I eventually sold that one too when the SAR-1 rifles came out and replaced it with a SAR-1. One of the perks of being an 01 dealer during those years. I got to play with a lot of different weapons to try them out then liquidate them easily if I didn't really like it.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just want to say nice find! Looks great!

You may want to make a sleeve that's threaded to accept standard AKM muzzle devices and weld that on...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12