View Poll Results: Can you eat an insect or crustacean?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, I eat insects with no problem

11 28.21%
  • I will try anything once, twice if it don't hurt

9 23.08%
  • I will only if I absolutely have to

15 38.46%
  • Only if I can throw up after I'm done eating

0 0%
  • I will starve to death first

4 10.26%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you, could you eat bugs and insects?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Hell yeah. All you need to catch crabs around here is a piece of string and some stinky meat.

I think Bill Clinton used that method too.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
    I think Bill Clinton used that method too.
    I forgot to mention you can pick some up on Remount road for $15. You just can't eat them kind.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I forgot to mention you can pick some up on Remount road for $15. You just can't eat them kind.
    It's probably better that I never know where Remount Rd is.

For some reason, the bug-looking crustacean critters in the local creeks are more appetizing than insects.
    Are you talking about "crawdads/crayfish"?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Are you talking about "crawdads/crayfish"?
    All of the above. I'd eat a fiddler before a cockroach.

I can catch ghost crabs with nothing but a pole to whack em with. Even those have to be better than bugs.

Hell, I would imagine boiling a bunch of minnows would be better than bugs.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 04-14-2011 at 11:43 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

All of the above. I'd eat a fiddler before a cockroach.
    DITTO!
    I like clams but not oysters, crawdads, crab, shrimp, lobster. I've eaten most normal game (deer, squirrel, rabbit, doves, ducks, geese) but I've also eaten groundhog and 'coon ('coon's better!).
    And OG, some years back, I had occassion to gut and quarter a doe with a three-blade pocketknife (a Schrade). Got the job done but had to sharpen all 3 blades the next day!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    DITTO!
    I like clams but not oysters, crawdads, crab, shrimp, lobster. I've eaten most normal game (deer, squirrel, rabbit, doves, ducks, geese) but I've also eaten groundhog and 'coon ('coon's better!).
    And OG, some years back, I had occassion to gut and quarter a doe with a three-blade pocketknife (a Schrade). Got the job done but had to sharpen all 3 blades the next day!

Dude, I'd be living on oysters, crawdads, crab, shrimp, and if lucky, lobster. We grow corn and tomatoes and watermelons and a lot of other things locally around here, but the rich yankees would probably be able to buy it all up unless their money becomes worthless.

Luckily I know how to work a cast net. And a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Hope you have a strong stomach and a lot of friends. Harvesting a bucket of ants would be easier and safer, tossing a net and bringing in some crawdads would be tastier and they don't shoot back.

;-) HAHA

So I guess the old saying "A little longpork aint gunna kill ya." is a falsehood?
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Old guys learned what to do to get old, it isn't going to be easy to stop them from getting older if they have a mind to.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Dude, I'd be living on oysters, crawdads, crab, shrimp, and if lucky, lobster. We grow corn and tomatoes and watermelons and a lot of other things locally around here, but the rich yankees would probably be able to buy it all up unless their money becomes worthless.

Luckily I know how to work a cast net. And a rifle.
    Crawfish Omelette
    PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
    SERVES: 6

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 lb cooked crawfish tails
    • Ľ cup butter
    • Ľ cup minced red bell pepper
    • 1 tbsp chopped garlic
    • ˝ cup sliced mushrooms
    • Ľ cup sliced green onions
    • 1 tbsp chopped parsley
    • 8 eggs
    • ˝ cup milk
    • salt and cracked black pepper to taste
    • ˝ tsp Worcestershire sauce

METHOD:
    In a heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat butter over medium high heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms and green onions. Sauté three to five minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add crawfish, green onions and parsley. Continue to sauté an additional five minutes. In a small mixing bowl, place eggs and milk. Using a wire whisk, beat until well blended. Season to taste using salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Pour egg / milk mixture over crawfish and stir gently. When eggs are set, turn omelette onto a platter. Garnish with fresh parsley.
    It works with shrimp too.

But first a little appetizer

Dry Roasted Grasshoppers
    Spread fresh, frozen and cleaned insects on paper towels on a cookie sheet. Bake at 200° for 1-2 hours until desired state
    of dryness is reached. Check state of dryness by attempting to crush insect with spoon.
    Garlic Butter Fried Grasshoppers
    1/4 cup butter
    6 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 cup cleaned insects*
    Melt butter in fry pan. Reduce heat. Sauté garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add insects. Continue sautéing for 10 - 15
    minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Grasshopper Fritters
    from 'Ronald Taylor's "Butterflies in My Stomach"
    3/4 cup sifted flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    3/4 c milk
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 c grasshoppers
    1 pt. heavy cream beaten stiff
    Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl. Slowly add milk and beat until smooth. Add egg and beat well.
    Pluck off grasshopper wings and legs, heads optional. Dip insects in egg batter and deep fry. Salt and serve.
    Man Eating Bugs: The Art and Science of Eating Insects [Paperback]

Peter Menzel

Faith D'Aluisio

Tim Cahhill

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...216566-9611137
    Last edited by old Grump; 04-15-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    It works with shrimp too.

But first a little appetizer
    Sounds good. The local meal here in Charleston is shrimp and grits, serve with either a pink or brown gravy. Yummy!!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    my issue with insects as a food source is that it would take so many of them for any sort of hunger satisfaction. I could see using them as a protein supplement, but as a staple it just doesn't seem practical.

wouldnt care for it but if need be i could eat bugs.might not fill you up but if it kept me alive thats all that matters

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

If I was hungry enough I guess I would. But not spiders though, strictly crickets, grasshoppers, worms maybe, caterpillars, and the such.

I worked with a really cool, nice Mexican once who would take any grasshoppers that landed on him and pop them into his mouth and eat them. Kinda grossed me out back then. Was also pretty good with a switchblade he carried around.

How do you clean an insect? Is that just pulling the legs and wings off? What about the head?

Eat caterpillars not butterflies.

Dry roast grasshoppers and the wings will go down just fine.

Heads, eyes, entrails, legs don't amount to a hill of beans, deep fry them, drizzle a little garlic salt on them and enjoy.

Spiders, especially large ones must be scorched with an open flame first or the hairs can irritate the dickens out of you.

Try banana slugs about 2" to 3" long, half a can of beer in a bowl of pancake flour, dip the slugs and deep fat fry them or sautee them in any good cooking oil. You can eat them raw but they might make your tongue numb.

Campfire, some butter, salt, pepper, garlic and a frying pan. Fresh caught live and rinsed worms, any kind. Melt the butter, stir fry the worms quickly and spice to taste. Eating worms is easy and they go good with beer.

THUCYDIDES.

I have a pet tarantula that sheds his hairs when he's pissed off. It's like having that fiberglass insulation all over you but worse. No, I'm not going to eat him...

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    I have a pet tarantula that sheds his hairs when he's pissed off. It's like having that fiberglass insulation all over you but worse. No, I'm not going to eat him...
    Oh shit I used to get that crap stuck in my hands all the time at work.... Nooooo thanks.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Be careful about eating slugs and snails uncooked. Many small creatures have parasites that will seriously fuck you up if not kill you if you eat the host raw and they remain alive.

I'd have to be damn hungry to eat insects. I'd be looking for anything animal in nature, like rats, mice, squirrels, cats, dogs, horses if any around. Maybe even that annoying neighbor down the street.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast