Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoping my CETME

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Scoping my CETME

I've got one of the first CIA CETME rifles. The model with all wood, windmill rear sight and cast stainless receiver. It shoots well but I'm starting to notice that having reached the 50 year mark I'm wanting something more than iron sights.

I've seen the original STANAG mounts and scopes but I don't know that I want to spend $400 to scope a rifle that I shoot only occasionally. Plus for that money I'm only getting a 20-30 year old 4x system.

IIRC with the STANAG mount you need a little bit of the flex that the sheet metal receivers have to get a proper lockup. The cast receivers don't have that flex so you either have to grind on the mount (ruins it for resale if you seperate it from the rifle) or you have to grind on the receiver pads.

In the past I saw a couple of different mounts, TAPCO I think that you could use to mount a traditional scope and rings. Since I haven't shot a scoped CETME period, I don't know if one system is better than the other or if any of them including the STANAG position you for a comfortable/proper cheek weld?

If anyone has scoped their CETME, particularly the cast receiver model I'd love to hear what you've tried and how it worked for you?

TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I had that same model of Cetme. It came with a B-square mount that would never hold zero. I got too frustrated to continue using the scope and I did not want to fork out the cash for the proper mount. The Irons were good enough for what they were. My experience with the B-square mount left a sour taste in my mouth. The aluminum did not hold up to the recoil well.

I ended up trading the Cetme for a Remington 700VS .308 and very happy with that rifle.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Thanks. I've googled it and the consensus seems to be that the B Square mount is pretty lacking even on the sheet metal recievers. A couple of guys reported good results with a steel STANAG type mount from TAPCO but I don't see anything for the CETME or G3 on their website? Evidently they no longer market for the H&K style firearms.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thanks. I've googled it and the consensus seems to be that the B Square mount is pretty lacking even on the sheet metal recievers. A couple of guys reported good results with a steel STANAG type mount from TAPCO but I don't see anything for the CETME or G3 on their website? Evidently they no longer market for the H&K style firearms.
    Tapco is too busy pimping our Min-14, 10/22, SKS, AK, and ARs now. The two things I like from Tapco, the AK saw grip and G2 FCG.

No I had not but at $250 it's more money than I wanted to spend for something I only shoot occasionally.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

No I had not but at $250 it's more money than I wanted to spend for something I only shoot occasionally.
    Gotcha!

Even with the ARMS mount I'd probably have to modify the mount to fit my cast receiver which would destroy any resale value as it wouldn't work on any other G3 clone after that except possibly another cast receiver model.

What I really need is a mount that is cheap enough that I can modify it to fit my rifle knowing it'll loose all value yet sturdy enough to hold zero.

Maybe I should just sell the CETME and buy something easier to scope? Either another G3 clone with stamped receiver or perhaps an FAL? Kind of wish now that I'd kept my Polytech M14S but a good mount for it wasn't cheap either.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

You should be able to sell the Cetme for enough money to nearly pay for a PTR. The online gun trader I have seen stamped Cetme rifles going for $700 plus.

I just got a FAL and I'm completely enamored by it. My uncle has a SA M1A NM and it is a fine shooter as well.

This is what I used. I have a stampedCcetme, but I tapped the hole in the receiver and ran a set screw up from under. Many people at Perro's Cetme forum used this mount after I posted my thread and it worked for everyone. No mods are req'd for the stamped version.

http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/index...mart&Itemid=28
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Still haven't gotten around to scoping my CETME. Thought I'd bump this up and see if there were any new or less expensive solutions these days? Please bear in mind my CETME has the cast stainless receiver and not the sheetmetal so mounts that need some flex in order to lock down on the receiver won't work unless I can modify the mount which would then make it specific to my individual rifle. Not necessarily a deal breaker but it's one of the reasons I was looking for something a little cheaper since I can't really resell it if I don't like the way it works for me.

I did find this off another forum during a google search.

http://www.dsarms.com/HK-G3_91-CETME...tinfo/BT21174/
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-19-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I have that mount, a longer one that is similar, a B-square... (scratches head) and I think another claw type. The Arms is the best of them; works great and remounts with minimum movement from zero...

You may have to adjust the mount or file / dremil the receiver on the SS CETME... the castings were a little oversize.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I did find this off another forum during a google search.

http://www.dsarms.com/HK-G3_91-CETME...tinfo/BT21174/
    Looks worth a try... you may still need to dremel the receiver and touch up paint. Almost everyone with the SS receivers did...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I have no resale value on my CETME. The gun is beautiful but the sights are about 6 inches off at 200 ft.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I have no resale value on my CETME. The gun is beautiful but the sights are about 6 inches off at 200 ft.
    Those can be fixed, the front sight isn't mounted straight. When I was a dealer I sold the CETME rifles by Century. I sent one back after test firing and they straightened it up to shoot where you point it. It was off by 12" at 100 yards.

Concur, the triple frame is canted normally.

My SS had a loose paddlewheel sight that had to be shimmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Those can be fixed, the front sight isn't mounted straight. When I was a dealer I sold the CETME rifles by Century. I sent one back after test firing and they straightened it up to shoot where you point it. It was off by 12" at 100 yards.
    Any recommendations on who i should send it to? Obviously it's long past the warranty being the procrastinator in chief I am.

Any recommendations on who i should send it to? Obviously it's long past the warranty being the procrastinator in chief I am.
    I'd call CAI first.

You can do it yourself. I'd have to go look to remember the procedure... It was on the old board and on Pedro del Diablo's CETME board if it is still around.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 08-20-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I'd call CAI first.

You can do it yourself. I'd have to go look to remember the procedure... It was on the old board and on Pedro del Diablo's CETME board if it is still around.
    I remember there was a method of modifying the rear sight to make up for the front site, but never saw any method of moving the entire front sight on the barrel?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I remember there was a method of modifying the rear sight to make up for the front site, but never saw any method of moving the entire front sight on the barrel?
    I honestly can't understand how the rear flip paddle sight can be altered to make up for a canted front sight frame. El Laton has stated it as I remember it. http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/pcsinc/...itBuilding.htm Simple instructions on how to build one. Not a lot of info on the sight but it does mention it is soldered to the barrel, the figure 8 shaped triple frame front sight housing thing. H&K G3 has the same type of housing but doesn't have the orbiting front sight post that the CETME rifles have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast