Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a .38 SPL Taurus revolver

Bought a .38 SPL Taurus revolver

$299... Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 SPL. what do you'all think? Looks fairly clean, no loose or excessively worn parts.

-=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

I carry my airlite probably more than any other weapon I own. It's easy to justify a purchase if you're actually going to carry it on a regular basis. Not like the $1000 guns I have collecting dust.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I like it. I am thinking a .38 SPL is a good idea. I see no reason to get a .357 since I would most likely shoot .38 through it most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    I carry my airlite probably more than any other weapon I own. It's easy to justify a purchase if you're actually going to carry it on a regular basis. Not like the $1000 guns I have collecting dust.
    This is why I haven't gotten a good O/U. I just can't see spending that much on a shotgun when I already have one I am pretty good with. And it only cost about $250
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnetadmin View Post
    $299... Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 SPL. what do you'all think? Looks fairly clean, no loose or excessively worn parts.

I think we need a range report and a target. You got to get rid of that new gun smell somehow.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

romak10/63UF
    does the 39spl frame say +p rated ? or anything like that ? when i use to have my 38spl S&W 4inch i liked useing lead hollow points +p for some reason it loved it ...

Nice wheel gun. I don't care for Taurus pistols, but I like their revolvers. I'd recomend the Gold Dot 135 gr. +P "short barrel" load. Thats what I run in my LCR. Buffalo bore has a hell of a round too. Its a 158 gr. +P lead semi-wad cutter hollow point. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but the Buffalo Bore would be better suited for summer IMO.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

I think the price is alittle high for a Taurus but that's done now and no sense crying over a few dollars over spent. I've owned a M85 that worked fine, I now own a 650 which I keep next to my bed and it works as expected as well. I have few complaints about Taurus revolvers, not as nicely finished as a smith but generally they are $100 or so cheaper as well.

@Old Grump : range report tomorrow

@romak: actually no... this one does not have +P on the barrel. Does that mean I cannot fire +P rounds thru this revolver?
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    my mom carries the same gun, the 85 is probably the best thing taurus makes. the steel versions are very nice too

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnetadmin View Post
    @Old Grump : range report tomorrow

@romak: actually no... this one does not have +P on the barrel. Does that mean I cannot fire +P rounds thru this revolver?
    If it doesn't say +P, then I wouldn't shoot +P through it.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    If it doesn't say +P, then I wouldn't shoot +P through it.

I think all the taurus snubbies are +p rated, but having shot an ultra lite 85 I don't think you would want to, as they aren't very comfortable.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Alex, I believe you have a Taurus Model 85SS2UL. Taurus does advertise this as being +P rated. But I would agree with Raxar, it probably won't be fun to shoot with that kind of ammunition.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

x10. I carry .357 mags in my airlite but practice with 38's. .357 mag is like lighting an M80 in your hand and holding onto it for too long.

I would run a few boxes of +P ammo just to get the feel of it and ensure reliable function. Then I would run some cheap practice ammo as my routine shooting fodder. I would carry the good stuff though. Its nowhere near as stout as the .357 snubs, which are down right uncomfortable.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    For it's intended purpose of belly button close up defense gun 158 gr LSWC or SJHP bullets will do everything that needs to be done. You don't need to shoot through engine blocks or reinforced doors with it. Stray dog trying to eat your leg for lunch or the neighborhood meth head trying to steal your shirt while you are wearing it won't know the difference.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice looking short range CCW piece. Should do the job it is designed to do. Gratz!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

I just got an 850 CIA for honey to carry.
    $270 and free shipping!

видеодон

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Alex, I believe you have a Taurus Model 85SS2UL. Taurus does advertise this as being +P rated. But I would agree with Raxar, it probably won't be fun to shoot with that kind of ammunition.

Steve
    BTW mine was used for that price. So no manual. I thought it was +P rated according to their site but like you'all say, if it doesnt specifically say it... :-/

My carry is a Glock 27, but I'm going to put this in the rotation.
    -=Alex=-

I have a 27 I carry all the time, too. Alot of times, I'll carry the revolver as a primary and a semi-auto as back up. Reason being is that if I'm walking to my car or down the street, I can put my hand in my pocket on the revolver and I can fire right from there. With a semi, you'll get a shot off but then malfunction when the slide is impeded. This way, I have five rounds to fire off and then I can transition to the semi if necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast