Thread: Any Colt revolver fans?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up Any Colt revolver fans?

My first handgun was a Colt Trooper MKIII, 4" nickle purchased new in 1978. Sadly back in 1984 as an E-4 with a wife and child I sold it to help pay the bills. A few years back I ran across a NIB Trooper that dates to 1976. This one is a blued instead of nickle but otherwise identical. Given the closeness in year of manufacture I almost feel like my first one has come home.

Anyway, that's how I got my start with Colts and wheel guns. I've not acquired too many as I tend to favor S&W but thought I'd post the pics of the models I do have. Hope you will excuse the poor photography skills and please post some of your own.

A pair of NIB Agents from 1982 and 1983. The only difference in the two is the stocks.

A Python from 1981 that was a Valentines Day gift from my wife a few years ago.

A mint Colt Marshall (one of less than 2500). You don't see these too often particularly with the box and cleaning brush.

Except for the Trooper MKIII which I don't have a photo of at the moment that's it for Colt revolvers.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Nice guns; really like the stocks on that top Agent. I love a nice Colt revolver. Wish they'd get back in the business. I'm currently looking to replace a Peacekeeper .357 that I used to have. Would really like a Python, but that's a little too pricey for me right now.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

I've owned colts but found they go out of time faster then smiths so I've moved on. I think my last was a 70's vintage trooper so my experience is alittle dated.

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Nice guns; really like the stocks on that top Agent. I love a nice Colt revolver. Wish they'd get back in the business. I'm currently looking to replace a Peacekeeper .357 that I used to have. Would really like a Python, but that's a little too pricey for me right now.
    There have been rumors for a couple of years that Colt might start producing DA revolvers again but so far "rumor" is all it's been. Someone posted that the new CEO of Colt, retired Marine made a statement that he wanted/intended to reintroduce some of their older designs but AFAIK he made no reference to a specific product line. Can't imagine them bringing back the Python, even as a Custom Shop item. Not that they couldn't necessarily do it, with enough money you can do most anything but if they brought it back with it's historic level of fit and finish it would have to cost a bundle. There are some Pythons today that are worth more than others, in some cases significantly more such as the 2.5" and 3" models but even a reintroduction of those models would probably be too expensive to sell enough of to make it cost effective. One can only hope. I'd rather the Python and other DA models be gone for good than see Colt bring them back at a lesser standard.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

I agree that they're better just left to the past if they aren't done right.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sure I love a Colt Python. IMO Colt revolvers were always better than the Smiths. I got my first Python in 1976 with from the factory Magnaported barrel, a 6" er and I still have it today. Had a 6" nickle one I sold to get money to buy a TV set with. In retrospect, should of kept that 6" nickle snake.

My first "real" handgun was a Colt Peacekeeper.

I still love that pistol.

Since then I've added a few from the Colt Blackpowder series....but nothing serious.

I owned a Colt Trooper with a 6" barrel once back in the 80's. That Colt blue is so deep and rich. Prettiest gun I ever owned. Had a really sweet trigger pull too. Light and crisp. Ahhh, those were the days......

The manager of the Colt Custom Shop has announced on the Colt forum that Colt WILL be bringing out a double action revolver.
    He didn't say when or what, but it's coming.

My best guess is it'll be something on the order of the Colt Magnum Carry.

I've owned a LOT of Colt pistols over the years. Here's a few I kept:

Colt original Trooper in .22LR. a second year production model.

4" stainless Python.

6" stainless Python. Of the hundreds of Pythons I test fired over many years, this one just might be the most accurate one of all. That's why I kept it.

Early stainless Government Model, Series 80.

Colt Trooper Mark III, .22LR. Best Colt factory grips I ever saw on a production gun.

And so you won't think I just own Colt's, a pair of S&W Model 66 Combat Magnums. One a standard 2 1/2" and the other a rare limited run of 3" barreled versions.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post

4" stainless Python.

Oh that's nice I like that!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 GunWorm's Avatar

the only Colt revolver I have is a Cobra that might have found it's way to me from somewhere in the middle east....somehow.
    i gots da boooolitz

Thumbs up

Nice photos DFW!

I've still got my eye out for an older, non shrouded Detective Special as well as a Trooper MKIII in .22lr, perhaps a blued 6" as well as a Viper but other than that I've not looking too hard at any other Colt DA's at the moment.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068