Thread: The (almost) Scout Rifle: Ruger M77 MKII Frontier (pics)

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

The (almost) Scout Rifle: Ruger M77 MKII Frontier (pics)

Jeff Cooper's scout rifle idea consisted of a .308 magazine-fed short-barreled bolt-action rifle less than one meter in length, between 6.6 and 7.7 pounds, with an adjustable sling, forward-mounted long-eye-relief scope, back-up iron sights, and a bi-pod. Although options like back-up sights, removable magazine, and a bi-pod weren't mandatory to fit his exact definition, these options are desirable.

The Ruger M77 MKII Frontier comes close to Mr. Cooper's idea, but lacks a couple desirable options, like back-up sights and a removable box magazine. However, Ruger has since dropped the Frontier and replaced it with the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, which is essentially a Frontier with back-up iron sights, sight rail, and a removable magazine.

The following images showcase my Ruger M77 MKII Frontier in .308 with a Burris 2.75x Scout Scope, bi-pod, and adjustable sling.

Specs:
    35" Long
    16.5" Barrel
    6.8 Pounds (unloaded, no accessories)

Sorry, my photography skills or camera aren't top quality.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I just finished that article in 'American Rifleman'. I like it but I think I would like a variable power scope. The fixed 2.75 seems better suited to a intermediate range semi-auto. Or maybe even a fixed 10x super sniper. Just my .02.

Nice rifle, though!

Nice little rifle. I know Ruger doesn't make the most accurate bolt guns on the market, but they're as sturdy as their revolvers.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    Nice little rifle. I know Ruger doesn't make the most accurate bolt guns on the market, but they're as sturdy as their revolvers.
    Seriously? Since when? I have a target version in .220 swift that will shoot benchrested .25" @100 yards all day long with my handloads provided wind does not work against me. My uncle has the same rifle in .308 that shoots benchrested a .5" @100 yards. His 7mm-08 light weight barrel will group .5" @100 yards and so will the 30-06 lightweight. I'd say that was accurate enough for a bolt gun. The triggers are very nice and with good glass I cannot think of any out of the box bolt gun that would do better.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.