Thread: Memories of Postal Matches

Memories of Postal Matches

Years ago when the C&R Forums were THE busy and bustling place where everyone hung out, some of the happiest and funny times took place during the time leading up to a postal match.

It was the "trash talk" that was funny, making it a real adventure to read the posts from the various paticipants. I only took part in two postal matches, and was never a contender, but it was fun to participate.
    Of those 2, one was for WWII military bolt actions w/ open sites, which much to my surprise (during testing), I found that my MAS-36 was the most accurate.
    The other was for Communist Bloc rifles, open sites. I had quite a choice to choose from, including Mosins or SKS, although now I am a bit unsure if the semi-autos were part of the line-up. Distances were 50 or 100 yards.

The trash-talk was going strong right up to when we received our 'official target' from RedStar, and continued till all the targets were mailed back & checked and the scores were posted.
    At the time, I was motivated to make a graphic using the name that was given to the match. I don't know who came up with the name, but Redstar liked the graphic, and asked if he could use it. I told him (or anyone else) to use it however he pleased.

The Red Brigade

There was a C&R pistol match also. I won it by default. I can't remember who won, but he excused himself, and I was next in line.
    Those were good days w/ Red Star and Zouave.
    Hopefully things will "busy up" again soon.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I remember them well. I actually won a $200 gift cert from AIM in one of the contests shooting an SKS. But, they were a lot of fun regardless if you won or lost. Maybe one day...

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    There was a C&R pistol match also. I won it by default. I can't remember who won, but he excused himself, and I was next in line.
    Those were good days w/ Red Star and Zouave.
    Hopefully things will "busy up" again soon.

I hope so slamfire.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

It would be fun for sure.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    It would be fun for sure.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the picture.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Bronze 07/2011 whos2kno's Avatar

i actually have one of those. linda (redstar's wife)sent it to me a few years ago. if we do a match we can use that. if i remember tonight i will post a picture of it.

I would be happy to donate mine even though it's the only trophy I've ever "won"......er...besides the "Lover of the Year" trophy I have.

If we can get a match going, I will present the trophy (pistol trophy ) to the winner.
    We could pass it along to each winner, and they could pass it along to the next winner match after match.

Let's do this in memory of Red Star and the others who have passed.
    I'm in.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Course of fire?

What targets?

What guns?

Who scores?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Ahhh, the good old days. I remember dropping off my target to James who did the scoring for one of them. Of course Neil West had the best group.

Quote Originally Posted by lpspinner View Post
    Ahhh, the good old days. I remember dropping off my target to James who did the scoring for one of them. Of course Neil West had the best group.
    Yeah, Neil won that match, but backed out of receiving the trophy, so it went to the next shooter...me.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

It was a fun match. I shot my just cleaned Yugo M59 SKS. It was a rarity back then cause everyone had the M59/66. I actually spent the money for a box of Winchester factory ammo vs. using the surplus stuff.

How about a 100 yard match using either a K98/M24, M91/30 or 1903. That would be fairly even. No handloads, only surplus or new factory ammo, sitting from a bench?
    Last edited by lpspinner; 04-22-2011 at 01:05 PM.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think this needs to be ok'd by Admin.
    Maybe if ok'ed, maybe a couple sponsors could contribute items for the 1st 2nd and 3rd winners like they did last match.

I'll PM David and see what he says.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL