Thread: Taking the FAL out to test the iron sights.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Taking the FAL out to test the iron sights.

Now that I know how the sights are adjusted. I wanted to know if there are any different rear sight options to improve the irons?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Not that I know of on a metric gun. What are you looking to imporve apon?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Not that I know of on a metric gun. What are you looking to imporve apon?
    Easy adjustable rear sights.

Is this something you're looking for?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=562190

Remembered seeing it while going through the MidwayUSA catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    Is this something you're looking for?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=562190

Remembered seeing it while going through the MidwayUSA catalog.
    That might work but I'm not sure if it will work with a standard FAL.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    That might work but I'm not sure if it will work with a standard FAL.
    Oh yes that will work alright but it's only going to get you windage adjustment. Otherwise it's just like a Paratrooper sight for the FAL, just a flip leaf that gets you 0 to 100 or so meters and the other peep on the other leaf to get you to 300 meters. Use KY elevation for getting a hit. No mostly there isn't much to be done for the rear iron sight on the FAL metric or otherwise. DSA does make a hooded rear leaf for the rear sight base. http://www.dsarms.com/Hooded-Short-R...ductinfo/110E/ $25 bucks. I did find that if one was patient the rear leaf can be squeezed a bit in a vice to close up the clearance so it doesn't rock around as much or as esily. It's a fine line, too much squeeze and you won't get it back on the base, not enough and you really don't gain much for group improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Oh yes that will work alright but it's only going to get you windage adjustment. Otherwise it's just like a Paratrooper sight for the FAL, just a flip leaf that gets you 0 to 100 or so meters and the other peep on the other leaf to get you to 300 meters. Use KY elevation for getting a hit. No mostly there isn't much to be done for the rear iron sight on the FAL metric or otherwise. DSA does make a hooded rear leaf for the rear sight base. http://www.dsarms.com/Hooded-Short-R...ductinfo/110E/ $25 bucks. I did find that if one was patient the rear leaf can be squeezed a bit in a vice to close up the clearance so it doesn't rock around as much or as esily. It's a fine line, too much squeeze and you won't get it back on the base, not enough and you really don't gain much for group improvement.
    Does not seem worth the effort. I'll just take it back out and do some shooting. I think the scope will be the main sights with irons on paper for backup.

The Australian's had a rear sight that had two leafs. One was the regular large apature. Then you could flip up the other leaf to get a smaller apature for a little more precise shooting. At least that was the idea. Us the bigger apature for night work since it would let more light in. Then as needed use the smaller one durring the day. Still didn't change the fact that making adjustments to your zero were a pain.

There were also several different version of the front sight blade that were tested to, I think mostly by the brits if I remember right.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Don't forget that the frong post changes elevation on the FAL. It is not unlike the AR15 or M16 front sight post in that respect. You use it to tune in the elevation for the ammo and the rear sight settiing you will use most of the time. The standard rear sight goes 200 to 600 meters in 100 meter jumps.