Thread: wasr 10/63....how old?

wasr 10/63....how old?

I bought this a few years ago and was curious recently if it is actually a "pre-ban". I know some people have told me the "70" in the serial number is the date which would make it a preban, but that is also only the trunnion that could be that old. I have also heard NO wasr-10/63's are preban. What is the correct answer?

Thanks for any info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    no 10/63's are prebans, they were all made sometime after 2004

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

There were never any pre-Bush the First-ban WASRs. The dates are a result of the rifles that the Romanians disassembled to make the ATF approved WASRs. Your 1970 indicates the donor rifle was made in 1970, but per ATF rules the rifle date of construction for sale here was much later, and as raxar said, 2004 or later for the 10/63.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The parts kit was probably made in the 70's - look at the trunion date. It was re-made recently as the "10-63" which is just a marketing model name - they are very good though - I have one too!

Yep - 1970 on the original that the parts kit was taken from:

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

great, thanks for the info all!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

This has a good deal to do with why these are so nice - along with the fact that CAI seems to have its shit together on these now. G-2 fcg and fitting are better than in the past.

You have a nice AKM
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

the dates electro stamped on the front trunion are NEW, and do not really reflect when the trunion or any part was actually made. You can tell it was ground down a bit and they took off the old arsenal marks.

These days ( past 2-3 years) they have been leaving the old trunions alone, and you see the Triangle ( with an arrow for older ones) that was the original Cugir proofmark.

If it shoots good and functions, you got a good one.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Here is a pic of a REAL Rommy Millitary trunion before grinding off /restamping, some numbers blocked.

Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Not very old... but it doesn't have to be. Shove magazines in it and rip it til the barrel smokes. I have had 5 Romanian AK type rifles, and none of them had anything really special about them (I save that for my WWII era and prior rifles). I like my AK's dirty, scratched up, dented, wood lookin like shit. How she was meant to be.