Thread: How about a pic of your handloading set-up?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Cool How about a pic of your handloading set-up?

Here's mine - take a while back:

Mine's in my shop - which is about 70% gun-orientated. I've got a couple of progressives and the rockchucker that you see to the right. They are all "veteran" presses - the old rcbs ammomaster you see there, a dillon square deal set up for 45 Colt (was just for cas loading) and the rockchucker is over 20 years old...

So, what's your set up look like?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Two Dillion presses,one set for small pistol the other for large pistol.To the left of the Dillion's there is a Rockchucker mounted for factory crimping.

I use this side for all the rifle loads and lubing of cast bullets.

The shed is in bit of a mess right now.just got in a few shipments of supplies and built the blinds in the shed so it is still fubar.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 08-03-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

here's a stock photo of mine from a while back. only one press and a few die sets but don't load for everything i shoot......yet. i do all my cleaning and smith work on the same bench. it suits my needs though.

I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Almost set up i've been reading, researching, building and gathering for about two years. I finally won the battle for the extra bedroom(well almost) if you look close you can see some of my wifes artsy crafty stuff. I'll be needing advise and suggestions, i have 10mm,.308,.223,dies for both loaders,and .338win.mag for the hornady. Somewhere in that room is about 5000 rnds of brass.

except for davepool's bench i see a trend here.

so far everybody's reloading bench is a mess! the only reason my pic doesn't look like a disaster is because i had cleaned it up a bit beforehand. right now there is crap all over mine.

i was beginning to think i was the only one who had to clean up my bench before doing anything.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post

so far everybody's reloading bench is a mess! the only reason my pic doesn't look like a disaster is because i had cleaned it up a bit beforehand. right now there is crap all over mine.

i was beginning to think i was the only one who had to clean up my bench before doing anything.
    I have been busy building blinds and have not put up stuff ordered 2 years ago that just came in recently.Primers,powder,bullets you the important shit.

I'm going to spend the weekend next to organize the sheds.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Thumbs up

Wow - some very nice setups. Really. And you know what they say about messy desks and benches....

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Wow - some very nice setups. Really. And you know what they say about messy desks and benches....
    yep, i call my computer desk and gun bench Organized Chaos.
    Jimi Hendrix

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    Ohh, i have feeling when i finally get the equipment mounted and start loading i will win the messy bench prize
    If it doesn't rain this weekend and there are no emergency roof repairs called in i may get a chance to mount the loaders

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    My bench is in my gun room. Yes I have a room in the daylight basement dedicated to firearms and ammunition. I clean the bench and room and I swear it gets messy in a matter of days. I like your setups. Mine is still in the infancy. I don't have as much reloading crap as the rest of you guys... yet.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

I have mine mounted on a metal desk, and most of the dies and powder in drawers. I'll try to get a pic.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

I'm limited to the desk in the family room downstairs. Just starting to get set up.

If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

IMAG0235.jpg
    IMAG0236.jpg
    my bench 3.jpg

I don't have a real high tech set up. I don't need to load 6000 rounds a hour. I also have a rcbs uniflow powder measure I attach to my press when I run the final round. I also have a homemade pin tumbler I built for about 50 bux. Does the trick in about ten minutes. Not pictured is the new rack on the right that houses my supplies. Pretty much everything is within arms reach.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Welcome to Gunsnet Tex! We all started off simple, this kind of equipment has never been cheap.

Great first post Wheelgunner! That looks like about 90% of the loading set-ups out there. Some of us get a little over-board

Here's the new manroom in Mississippi:

I need more cabinets... will probably either get some more craftsman or make some out of the surplus cyprus board that we had left from the house build... I'd like the matching craftsman ones but frugality is pushing me towards the homemade ones...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Here's the new manroom in Mississippi:

I need more cabinets... will probably either get some more craftsman or make some out of the surplus cyprus board that we had left from the house build... I'd like the matching craftsman ones but frugality is pushing me towards the homemade ones...
    Nice storage cabinets. I'm surprised to not see a Dillon 550B or it's like in the image.

I have an old Ammomaster. It's in the cabinet on the right. I also have a Dillon Square Deal B setup for 45 Colt that I bought used some time ago. The Ammomaster, while complicated and finicky does work well enough.

Here's my reloading setup. On one side of the room I have my 650s and SDB. The 650s are mounted like that so they can share the case feeder.

The interesting thing is, the machine on the right that I have set up for large primers was the first 650 I ever used back in the early 90s. The guy that had it never used it. He sold it to another guy I knew and the second guy bought it and never used it. So it sat around neglected for years. The second guy sold it to me for $250 with several tool heads 3 years ago! I cleaned it up, Dillon sent me updated parts and it runs smooth!

The one on the left is set up for small primers that I bought a couple years ago. The SDB was the first progressive reloader I ever bought back in the late 80s. I rarely use it anymore. When my son gets some room, I'll probably give it to him so he can reload for his pistols. The only thing I load on it any more are .380s. I use it about once a year. It still works great!

On the other side of the room at my bench I have this guy sitting on the far end:

I reload and process a lot of 223 on this. It's a pleasure to reload on a 1050. I really don't know why I waited so long to get one. Plus I really, really hate to swage brass. The 1050 takes care of that.

Most of my reloading is for competing in 3 gun and for when I take my annual trip out to the Whittington Center to work out there during the summer. (I'm retired)

With some time on my hands, I thought I'd take up loading berdan primed 7.62x39 because I'm really disappointed with the consistency of the imported stuff (extreme spreads of over 100 fps the norm) and well, because I want to! It's the only cartridge that I shoot that I don't reload for. It may cost about the same to reload for it as buy it, but I'm sure the quality will be better. If I can ever locate some boxer primed 7.62x39 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'll pick it up and not have to worry about buying ammo ever again.
    Last edited by Henny; 03-08-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    Original member #545

NRA Life
    GOA Life