Parkerizing

I saw this and was wondering if anyone has had success with it lately:

http://mg34.com/PARKERIZING-c16/

RTBArms1603

Yep.
    Yesterday as a matter of fact.
    Check this thread out.
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...ishing-a-CZ-82
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I've used the parkerizing solution from Allegany many times. It is very easy to use and dummy proof. Just follow the directions and use a stainless steel container.

Acetone will loosen up the old finish but I used paint stripper (name was actually Aircraft paint remover) and it works good with a stiff tooth brush. Be careful and use eye protection and gloves or put your hand in a big ziplock bag while you are holding it. It's very caustic. Once stripped then clean it in acetone and then dawn dish washing detergent with hot water and a stiff tooth brush

When parking you have to keep from touching the bare metal with your hands otherwise the oils from your hand will interfere with the park solution and cause spots on the the surface where the solution didn't take.

If you keep the solution from getting contaminated then you can store it and use it again later on another project

Just tried it this past weekend from a recipe found on Al Gore's internet. Had my son beat up 8 D cell batteries, separated the manganese dioxide (black stuff, beat the negative end of the battery off) from the zinc (center, positive terminal, grey oozy stuff), crushed it up finely with a mortar and pestle, heated up 3 gallons of water, added the manganese dioxide, 2 cups liquid steel prep and clean from Lowe's, 3 #000 steel wool pads from Lowes. Bring just to sub-boiling, just rolling on the surface. I hung everything from 2 wires stretched across the handles of the SS 5 gallon pot I was using. Hung with copper wire, dipped for 10 minutes, rinsed in the tap, dipped for another 10, rinsed, then another 10. Turned out pretty good. I'm not picky on my first build but Oiled everything today and it holds a dull shine. Will oil again tomorrow and send some pics back here.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Just tried it this past weekend from a recipe found on Al Gore's internet. Had my son beat up 8 D cell batteries, separated the manganese dioxide (black stuff, beat the negative end of the battery off) from the zinc (center, positive terminal, grey oozy stuff), crushed it up finely with a mortar and pestle, heated up 3 gallons of water, added the manganese dioxide, 2 cups liquid steel prep and clean from Lowe's, 3 #000 steel wool pads from Lowes. Bring just to sub-boiling, just rolling on the surface. I hung everything from 2 wires stretched across the handles of the SS 5 gallon pot I was using. Hung with copper wire, dipped for 10 minutes, rinsed in the tap, dipped for another 10, rinsed, then another 10. Turned out pretty good. I'm not picky on my first build but Oiled everything today and it holds a dull shine. Will oil again tomorrow and send some pics back here.
    Got any pics of your project. I'm curious to see how the D cells worked for ya.

Looking to parkerize a handful of Romy G's that I am building. Do I need to worry about the chems going in the barrel?

I've used it a number of times. Fal rifles being the biggest projects. Here's a mess of Fal magazines I did.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also, you don't need their degreaser and neutralizer. Simple green works fine and any plain oil will work as a neutralizer. I sandblast the parts with glass bead myself, works fine.
    Last edited by L1A1Rocker; 01-31-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2360 View Post
    Looking to parkerize a handful of Romy G's that I am building. Do I need to worry about the chems going in the barrel?
    Nope. If it's chromed the park will not react at all to it. If it's carbon steel just be sure to run LOTS of oil down the barrel to stop the reaction. No issue at all really.