Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this? Cut Shells.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Has anyone seen this? Cut Shells.

NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Interesting. I wonder if they would feed/extract correctly in a pump?

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I would expect feeding problems but no extraction problems.

Feel a test coming on
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 05-10-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Maybe use a tube cutter instead of a knife? Might feed better.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

If it will feed then that would make a dandy home defense round.
    Shock trauma of a slug without the over-penetration.
    This is just my opinion and it's entirely correct.

Going out to test right now. No. 7.5 shot Winchester 1200 Winchester shells. Back in a few.

My father told me years ago they would do that in Korea. Maybe it was the shells of the time but he told us they would pour wax into the shot before cutting them.
    Last edited by mriddick; 05-10-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Won't extract. Won't feed. Got empty out of chamber, have to get cut shell out of the halfway point before getting on feed ramp.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Well thats good to know if SHTF and all you can get is cheap birdshot. You'd still be able to take a deer if need be, I'm guessing.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    Done, no damage to weapon or operator.
    So did multiple rounds feed through your pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    So did multiple rounds feed through your pump?
    No. see post # 8. I loaded one in the chamber and four in the mag. To my surprise the first one did not extract. Took it apart, unloaded. Reassembled. Put one round in mag and it would not feed. The shell remained intact even after not feeding.

A different model might feed them. Perhaps a box magazine design. I have a bolt action .410 I could test, it has double extraction claws.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 05-10-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Lightbulb

Four equal length cuts in one line should have a perforating effect and let the shell retain its shape!

Have to go now, will test later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    No. see post # 8. I loaded one in the chamber and four in the mag. To my surprise the first one did not extract. Took it apart, unloaded. Reassembled. Put one round in mag and it would not feed. The shell remained intact even after not feeding.

A different model might feed them. Perhaps a box magazine design. I have a bolt action .410 I could test, it has double extraction claws.
    I have a feeling any cut as drastic as the one in the video would preclude feeding in a pump or auto. Works great in a side by though.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I have a feeling any cut as drastic as the one in the video would preclude feeding in a pump or auto. Works great in a side by though.
    Neat. Hmmm, I wonder how they would do in one of my bolt-action shotguns.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question

Wonder if you'll get a build up of plastic in the bore after repeated firings? I'd also be a little leery of the hull getting stuck in the bore. The whole premise seems to be that the hull and all exit the bore and hit the target. If the crimp opens I could see the shot and wad seperating from the hull and the hull lodging in the bore especially if you have a full choke. He was using a modified.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I'll have to try it out in my Mossberg 590. I'll try it w/ the four cut method Bluntforce suggested. It'll be awhile before I get to try it out, though.

I don't think plastic buildup would be an issue since the wad already fouls the barrel on it's way out.
    Maybe out of a Saiga it will feed since it's just a push feed instead of a pull/push.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sidartha View Post
    I don't think plastic buildup would be an issue since the wad already fouls the barrel on it's way out.
    Maybe out of a Saiga it will feed since it's just a push feed instead of a pull/push.
    But the wad is designed to go done a bore, the hull isn't. The wad is also smaller in diameter then the hull.

If correct a 12 gauge bore is 0.729"

The diameter of a 12 gauge hull is 0.800"

A full choke restiction is .035" which means at the choke the bore is 0.694"

Pushing a 0.800" hull through a 0.694" Full choke may not be the best thing.

Someone please check my math.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 05-10-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

This was done when slugs weren't commonly available or couldn't be used (as in my fathers case in Korea). I would consider it a last ditch effort to try when you really have little else to lose. Beside the try it and see what happens factor I don't see why anyone would be doing this to any great extent considering how common slugs are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    But the wad is designed to go done a bore, the hull isn't. The wad is also smaller in diameter then the hull.

If correct a 12 gauge bore is 0.729"

The diameter of a 12 gauge hull is 0.800"

A full choke restiction is .035" which means at the choke the bore is 0.694"

Pushing a 0.800" hull through a 0.694" Full choke may not be the best thing.

Someone please check my math.
    Your math is correct and you have a point that firing something like this through a full choke might leave a barrel obstruction.
    But most combat shotguns that I know of have a cylinder bore or improved cylinder.

The appeal to me is what is essentially a Glaser shotgun slug. Something I don't know exists.
    If you can fire a round that still hits with all the close range power of a shotgun yet does not have the worry of an over-penetrating slug or a wild buckshot pellet going into another room or outside then that's a good thing in my book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast