Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Build A Bunker!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    I bought one and then found out there was a zoning issue. The county said I could have 1 20 footer per property. and even though I have two adjoining properties, they would only allow me to have 2 20 footers and not a 40 footer. I had to sell it.
    my plan it to bury it.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Good thinking if you live in a place where there aren't any restrictions on drilling. I live in the woods so no problem with me and my water is fairly shallow so I could punch a well down by hand if I had to but if you are in a municipality serviced by a city water system they may not let you dig a new well.
    I think that my main problem is that Im going to be restricted by so many things that I may not get exactly what I really want.

I think there is something in the HOA restrictions about have a well dug.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    my plan it to bury it.
    They would work great for that. But you would want to cover the top with logs or some other type of support. They are designed to handle a lot of weight. but only on the corners. The center would smash like a beer can.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    They would work great for that. But you would want to cover the top with logs or some other type of support. They are designed to handle a lot of weight. but only on the corners. The center would smash like a beer can.
    yeah, they look like they would.
    I might get 2 so I could use one as a small test range.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    yeah, they look like they would.
    I might get 2 so I could use one as a small test range.
    After I sold that 40 footer I was thinking about getting two 20’s, burying one and stacking the other on top of it. then it would be just a mater of building a staircase. They are easy to set up. you just have to poor a good concrete foundation for each corner. the center is self supporting.

Hmmm........ they're about 8 and a half feet wide & hide.
    I didn't even think about stacking them. I thought about having them side by side and placing a workshop or garage on top so no one would notice.

Wish I had buried a container under my shop, but oh well!

If you plan on burying one of these, make sure to seal the outside to prevent corrosion.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    Wish I had buried a container under my shop, but oh well!

If you plan on burying one of these, make sure to seal the outside to prevent corrosion.
    That's a good point, it would suck if a few years down the road it started to rust through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    That's a good point, it would suck if a few years down the road it started to rust through.
    Thats what has me debating the container and building from cinder block (CMD). That and the fact that it would be a dead give away for the looky lues when the crane holding a big box over my back yard that something is up.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The most likely reason for being in the thing around Houston is a hurrican and I would check your elevation. It is likely to flood being underground... A force 5 hurrican can put 20' of surge tide into downtown Houston according to the models.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk1911 View Post
    Thats what has me debating the container and building from cinder block (CMD). That and the fact that it would be a dead give away for the looky lues when the crane holding a big box over my back yard that something is up.
    Where you at Hawk? What's the ground water level at in your yard?

Per the TSARP map that I just looked at Im in Zone x (area of lowest risk) but only about a block or two away from a 0.2% floodplain (500 year ).

Per the TSARP map that I just looked at Im in Zone x (area of lowest risk) but only about a block or two away from a 0.2% floodplain (500 year ).
    Sounds like you'll be okay, but when you dig the hole if it fills up with water you know you have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Sounds like you'll be okay, but when you dig the hole if it fills up with water you know you have an issue.
    No issue, just instant swimming pool!!!

No matter what you plan on putting in the earth, gotta make sure it is well sealed to the soil, proper sump, etc, etc... Would need to make a pent roof on top of a container, the flat would buckle under a soil load, make a foam core and concrete on top of that.

Bunkers are great for natural disasters; however, if your plans include 'shtf" you better plan on fighting positions to protect the bunker. Or someone outside will be able to easily convince you to join them.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Bunkers are great for natural disasters; however, if your plans include 'shtf" you better plan on fighting positions to protect the bunker. Or someone outside will be able to easily convince you to join them.

Im cooking the thoughts on how to conceal the external parts to avoid detection in a SHTF. In that type of situation the plan is for the room in the ground is to keep me and mine safe just long enough to execute the escape to a less populated area. I still have fresh in my mind the nightmare of being stuck for 8 hrs on I-10 during the mass evacutaion during Rita. That is something that I will never fall for again. This way I figure I can hold out on my own enough to see what the sheople do and whatever the threat that is causing the SHTF and adjust acordingly.

Im cooking the thoughts on how to conceal the external parts to avoid detection in a SHTF. In that type of situation the plan is for the room in the ground is to keep me and mine safe just long enough to execute the escape to a less populated area. I still have fresh in my mind the nightmare of being stuck for 8 hrs on I-10 during the mass evacutaion during Rita. That is something that I will never fall for again. This way I figure I can hold out on my own enough to see what the sheople do and whatever the threat that is causing the SHTF and adjust acordingly.
    I live in a forested area so I could bury a conex container in the woods and any sign of it would vanish quickly. However there would be noticeable things also. Although the vents would get overgrown; however, the trail to it would stick out. Cooking smells are noticed also.
    However, for a hurricane, tornado etc type event a bunker would be a good thing to have.. As hurricanes usually bring a lot of rain I'd consider how to keep it from being flooded also.
    AFA the unlikely SHTF events; a bunker's value would depend on if anyone finds it. If found a buried container with one entrance and no firing slits isn't a good thing.

As there isn't anything here I live so I can stay in the house and adjust accordingly.

A (new lol) septic tank might be better than a Conex container.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    A (new lol) septic tank might be better than a Conex container.
    you have a point there. I'll have to look into that.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Was reading a post about bunkers the other day, don't recall where but the idea of using a steel corrugated culvert was brought up. A 6' or 8' diameter culver is fairly cheap. IIRC the thread had a link to a company in Utah or maybe Nevada that makes the and ships to your site. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is.

http://utahsheltersystems.com/office_faq.php
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-07-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast