Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build A Bunker!

Build A Bunker!

I live in Northwest Houston (Hwy 6 and 529 if you know the spot.). Im not poor I guess but I dont have good enough credit anymore to buy another property just yet. How practical do you guys think it is to build a bunker in my back yard?

I don't have any lack of confidence that I can do most of the work my self, the main problems that I think I would have is. 1 avoid any issues with the HOA, I will tell them Im building a pool then after Im done I will say I changed my mind .

2nd would be the neighbors peeking over the fence and seeing it which I would obviously would like it to be as hush hush as possible.

What do you guys think? It may seem like overkill at first but if you really think about it its not really that big a deal. People make similar contruction just to hold their wine collections, this one would just be mainly for my peace of mind unless something does hit the fan and then Im poised to win in the post apocolipse!

I would love to do it myself as well.
    Mine wouldnt be so much a bunker as a underground gun room!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    I would love to do it myself as well.
    Mine wouldnt be so much a bunker as a underground gun room!
    Burt Gummer style?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I have the room & the know-how for it, just not the money.
    I even thought of buying one of those large shipping containers off of ebay and putting it underground.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    I have the room & the know-how for it, just not the money.
    I even thought of buying one of those large shipping containers off of ebay and putting it underground.
    Those are fairly cheap considering what you are getting.A backhoe would make burying very easy.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I think I will be making the effort to see if I can make this thing a reality may be around next spring. It will be good working weather and I should be able to finalize the research and come up with an actual finalized plan.

I have been considering a shipping container would make everything much faster and I think its pretty strong, I was thinking of putting at least 5 feet of packed earth on top so I guess I just wander if it is structurely capable. I would think so since they are stacked one on top of another on the boats.

Anyone have diagrams, plans, or just some advise that can help chime in I would greatly appriciate it.
    Last edited by hawk1911; 08-03-2010 at 09:59 PM.

I wouldn't say it's a pool and that "I changed my mind". I'd be up front about it. "I'm putting in a basement for tornado protection".
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Well for about 2 grand, I could get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-ft-storage-sh...item483b97ee98

Then another 2 grand to bury it, add some air vents, power, back-ups & oxygen generators/concentrators.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Don't let pictures of concrete WWII bunkers fool you; a hole with a roof made of a few layers of logs works quite well. Ask any Vietnam Vet.

It will not stop a delayed fuse bomb; however, as we've saw in Iraq films neither will the concrete ones.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Don't let pictures of concrete WWII bunkers fool you; a hole with a roof made of a few layers of logs works quite well. Ask any Vietnam Vet.

It will not stop a delayed fuse bomb; however, as we've saw in Iraq films neither will the concrete ones.
    I do have plenty of logs......

I need it to be a bit more secure than that though.
    I have to design one that has at least 3 rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    Well for about 2 grand, I could get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-ft-storage-sh...item483b97ee98

Then another 2 grand to bury it, add some air vents, power, back-ups & oxygen generators/concentrators.
    I need to buy a lot up north then I am going to buy one of them deals !

If you can build it with a pool and have that as water. What ends up underground can be the filtration system so far as nosey neighbors are concerned. A little more concrete as maybe 12x14 as a room might not add a lot more cost to a lot of water.

I am far from familar with the area, but decent water seems like a concern.

I am a big fan of hiding things in plain sight.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

A bunker... I'v never realy considered that per se. I did have a tornado shelter built into my last house- used a septic tank and had it burried under the foundation in the master bedroom closet. Had a big hatch that you opened to access it.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post

I bought one and then found out there was a zoning issue. The county said I could have 1 20 footer per property. and even though I have two adjoining properties, they would only allow me to have 2 20 footers and not a 40 footer. I had to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    I bought one and then found out there was a zoning issue. The county said I could have 1 20 footer per property. and even though I have two adjoining properties, they would only allow me to have 2 20 footers and not a 40 footer. I had to sell it.
    You sold that one?
    I wish I could get one....Dang zoning....

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    You sold that one?
    I wish I could get one....Dang zoning....
    Yip
    I had the foundations for the corners pored and everything. I wound up selling it to that company that picked it up. I tried to trade them for one of there 20 footers but they wanted way too much money on top of the 40 footer.
    I sure wish it would have worked out. that thing would have been perfect for storage.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Steel or concrete your choice, limit is room available to put it in and pocket book.

http://www.shelters-of-texas.com/concrete.html

I have been wanting to do the same in my yard for the last 3 years but things keep happening, hopefully it will happen before we get hit by a tornado.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a pool and that "I changed my mind". I'd be up front about it. "I'm putting in a basement for tornado protection".
    You are correct I shouldnt lie, directly anyway, I will have to say Hurricane thought its a little more likely in Houston.

As far as water I was thinking of digging the big hole first and then digging a well basically under what would be the burried container and then I can have a protected and self replenishing source that isnt dependant on rain.
    Last edited by hawk1911; 08-04-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    the lot next to me is going up for a tax sale soon.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    As far as water I was thinking of digging the big hole first and then digging a well basically under what would be the burried container and then I can have a protected and self replenishing source that isnt dependant on rain.
    Good thinking if you live in a place where there aren't any restrictions on drilling. I live in the woods so no problem with me and my water is fairly shallow so I could punch a well down by hand if I had to but if you are in a municipality serviced by a city water system they may not let you dig a new well.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast