Thread: SKS ID Help

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York

SKS ID Help

Ok, Ok..I'm an AK nut but reluctantly decided to help a friend out by buying his SKS.
    It has what appears to be a tapco poly stock (used to be folding but bubba broke off the butt. It has all matching numbers otherwise and is in very good unfired condition.
    Still has small deposits of cosmoline that need to be cleaned. I decided to bring it back to as close to original condition as I can.
    Description:
    Has a fixed 10rd box mag marked SL-4-00.000
    Has notch for striper clips in the bolt carrier
    Has an attached long spike bayonet (secured with threaded bolt)
    Has a milled receiver and trigger guard
    Long barrel (not a carbine)
    Heres the ID;
    On the left of the receiver starts with a rectangle with 4 numbers in it [****]
    Then 3 Chinese characters and 8 digit number with a punched C after it, goes like this,
    [****] ### 240005962C
    on the rear left; SKS 7.62x39 made in china by Norinco CSIOWT CA
    The other numbers on the bolt carrier, trigger guard, ect is; 05926
    Any help IDing this as to age would help. AK's are easy compared to these rascals.
    I know...pics would help....my camera won't be back until May 14th, I'll try to get some
    pics up then..
    Just me and my monkey....

If it was made by norinco, it is a chinese SKS. If it has a spike bayonett, I would guess a paratrooper model (Carbine). Somebody could have put the spike bayonet on a rifle version though.

I am not sure the numbers do any good for the age. I think there are websites out there that can maybe get you close.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

AFAIK most Chinese Type 56 SKS have the spike bayonet. One site I found simply stated that an SKS with a rectangle is considerd a "late production" model but no specifics on what "late production" indicates as far as a year. Can you tell if the barrel is pinned?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Didn't know that even the rifle versions had the spike bayonet. Learn something everyday.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    it has a yugoslavian SKS magazine. 240005962C is your serial number, so no need to try to hide the other numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    AFAIK most Chinese Type 56 SKS have the spike bayonet. One site I found simply stated that an SKS with a rectangle is considerd a "late production" model but no specifics on what "late production" indicates as far as a year. Can you tell if the barrel is pinned?
    Haven't torn it down yet.....I'm going to do that this afternoon to clean it. It's got me stumped but I think that I can get a better idea when I
    uncover the numbers inside of the rectangle. I'll check the barrel for pin or thread.
    Thanks, Brian

[QUOTE=binky59;132404]Ok, Ok..I'm an AK nut but reluctantly decided to help a friend out by buying his SKS.
    It has what appears to be a tapco poly stock (used to be folding but bubba broke off the butt. It has all matching numbers otherwise and is in very good unfired condition.
    Still has small deposits of cosmoline that need to be cleaned. I decided to bring it back to as close to original condition as I can.
    Description:
    Has a fixed 10rd box mag marked SL-4-00.000
    Has notch for striper clips in the bolt carrier
    Has an attached long spike bayonet (secured with threaded bolt)
    Has a milled receiver and trigger guard
    Long barrel (not a carbine)
    Heres the ID;
    On the left of the receiver starts with a rectangle with 4 numbers in it [****]
    Then 3 Chinese characters and 8 digit number with a punched C after it, goes like this,
    [****] ### 240005962C
    The other numbers on the bolt carrier, trigger guard, ect is; 05926
    Any help IDing this as to age would help. AK's are easy compared to these rascals.
    I know...pics would help....my camera won't be back until May 14th, I'll try to get some
    pics up then..[/QUOTE:
    Update: Took it apart last night, has [0138] in the rectangle, screwed in barrel, chrome lined barrel
    rear left side of the receiver is; sks 7.62x39 made in china by norinco CSI ONT CA
    Apparently this gun was imported into Ontario Canada by CSI
    Pics soon......

[QUOTE=binky59;132764]
    Quote Originally Posted by binky59 View Post
    Took it apart last night, has [0138] in the rectangle, screwed in barrel, chrome lined barrel
    rear left side of the receiver is; sks 7.62x39 made in china by norinco CSI ONT CA
    Apparently this gun was imported into Ontario Canada by CSI
    Pics soon......
    Ontario, California USA