Thread: CIA AK74 - first AK

CIA AK74 - first AK

After years of talking about getting an AK, I finally ended up with one for a cheap price. I have been an AR guy for years, and they occupy most of the slots in the safe. This is what I ended up with, a Century AK74 (says M74 sporter on the rec.) From all the reading I have been doing since I got it, it looks like it was put together decent. Of course during that reading some of the horror stories about Century guns had me worried. Havent taken it to the range yet, will do that later this week. The receiver isnt marked with anything but Century Arms Inc. Georgia VT, M74 Sporter, Cal 5.45x39, Ser # M74-C801XXX. Numbers on the bolt and carrier match. Cant find a number on the trunnion.
    The trunnions are tight with no gaps, the rivets are all nice and tight - no gaps under the heads. I am not sure who made the receiver, as there is no name on it except what I specified above.
    Sights look straight but if it is canted at all - just slightly. The rear sight needs a little tweaking as the adjusting button is stuck. Bolt face looks like its new. Got it with a circle 21 mag and a mag that I think is polish..no markings on it that I can see. The guy I bought it off of didnt know much about it either as he purchased it from an estate sale and isnt a military arms guy.
    So if anyone can shed a little more light on this one that would be great. I dont know if its one of the newer models that Century is selling for 400 or so or if its an older model.
    I have a serious feeling this will become an addiction.....sigh...the wife is going to be mad. lol

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by imanaknut; 05-17-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added photos

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Congrats on your new AK variant!!! And yes they are very addictive, especially when you look into the no longer imported factory rifles from Maadi, Norinco, Poly Tech and some Bulgarians!

Just keep telling your wife that these rifles are investments!!!!!

By the way, added your photos to your post so that lazy people like me don't have to click on each.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Nice stock.

Thanks, I had no idea how to get them to show up.....sucks being a newbie. lol I am all ready looking at parts kits, barrels, receivers....and other goodies. After building AR's for a while this looks like it should be more of a challenge and more fun.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    That is a nice AK-74 clone. Don't know anything about that Century model, but it looks really nice especially with the front brake, correct wood and 90 degree gas block.

Hope it shoots as nice as it looks!!!

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Mine came with Tapco handguard and forestock and some butt-ugly NATO length black stock with the swivel on the bottom. After trying 47 wood on it and the stock vibrating loose during break-in action cycling the black front pieces were put back on and a Tapco fixed black plastic stock replaced the NATO POS.

It looks better [than shipped] and works. The next 74 will have the right wood or be a folder.

I thought about sending it to Red Jacket to have the Century Rebuild Package done on it, just to make sure everything is kosher with it. The kids will be getting to shoot it, so I have to make sure its 100% good. For the money I have in it, doing that I will still be at the price for the new ones I have seen advertised on Atlantic and Centerfire. Just with the extra piece of mind. lol

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Thanks, I had no idea how to get them to show up.....sucks being a newbie. lol I am all ready looking at parts kits, barrels, receivers....and other goodies. After building AR's for a while this looks like it should be more of a challenge and more fun.
    Unless you plan to build a bunch of AK rifles, just buy them already assembled. To do a good job you're going to need a lot of specialized tools that are NOT cheap. A rivet Jig that is used to smash the rivet shanks is way over $200. http://ak-builder.com/index.php follow link.

looks like either a NoDak or another American one..sweet rifle though.