Thread: Price Check

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Price Check

All I know about this is it's listed as a Norinco AKS 556.

Looks to be in pretty decent shape. Can anyone give me a current market estimate as well as specifics about the gun as far as where to get mags, how do they function, etc? Not familiar with 5.56 AK's at all so don't know if they feed and function as well as 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. Since it's a Norinco AK I'm figuring it's probably a pretty good deal if the price is right. TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

...looks like an 84S.
    I owned one...very accurate as far as AKMs go.
    I believe in that condition with 1 mag (fair price) would be
    $750-$850.
    видеодон

Damn! That does sound fair, fairly expensive that is.

Thanks for the reply. Are mags available or are they hard to find and expensive as well?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Damn! That does sound fair, fairly expensive that is.

Thanks for the reply. Are mags available or are they hard to find and expensive as well?
    Chinese .223 mags are $40-$50 these days.
    I hear that Euros ones can be made to ~work.
    видеодон

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Has the muzzle device of the 84S plus a .223/5.56x45 mag under it, so I am guessing that it is an 84S.

Yes they are getting more expensive, and you can thank George Bush the First for that. By banning them by name and by evil features, the pre-Bush-ban rifles have started to go up quite a bit lately. Add to that obama-scare, people deciding "Commie weapons" aren't so bad after all, and the fact that there is a limited number of them in the USA and you have prices on the way up. Supply and demand.

Mags are hard to find, and unless you have a supply, or the rifle comes with the three that they originally shipped with, or you can live with only one mag, think hard about getting an 84S.

On the positive side, the 84S is one of the more accurate of AK variants. I have been known to shoot ragged holes off hand at 50 yards with mine.

The catch with the old Norincos is that they might seem expensive now, but if kept in good condition, since they are so limited, there is a good chance that they will never lose in value.

Thank you guys. Given the possible cost, mag cost and the fact that getting something in 5.56 would just be adding another, none to cheap caliber I'll probably pass on this one. It's listed an an estate auction a county or two over from me and I was thinking of attending but I'd probably just end up wasting a tank of gas.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068