It's been a while since I shopped for any French rifles and I've never run across one of these before so thought I'd see if you all had some guesstimates?

The father of a friend/coworker died a while back and he's been bringing in some of his firearms for me to look at. The other day he mentioned had found an old French rifle. Based on what he has told me it's an 1886 Lebel with bayonet and ten cardboard boxes of ammo.

After finding it he recalls seeing it back when he was in high school. He's in his early 40's now so his father had it for at least 25+ years. No idea on it's condition, if it's the correct bayonet, if the ammo is correct and or viable. He's supposed to bring it in for me to take a look at tomorrow.

I know he's looking to buy a rifle off a mutual acquaintance of ours for around $500 and might jump at the chance to get that much for this kit.

I've looked around the auction sites and haven't found too many 1886 Lebels selling. What I did find seemed to run in the $400-$700 range. Corrrect bayonets could go $100depending.

If anyone has an idea on the going rate please let me know. TIA