Thread: Military can retire at 15 years???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Military can retire at 15 years???

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...-benefits-for/

The above link is the first I've heard of this policy. If I read it correctly it only applies if your being involuntarily seperated, true? I guess I'm a little conflicted. If you chose a rating and that rating becomes overmanned and or you're are not a high achiever and the military decides it either no longer needs your service why are we as taxpayers doling out up to $9000,000 in retirement pay because a servicemember had 15 years service? Especially if they are afforded the opportunity to cross rate?

I remember back in the early to mid 80's before I EAOS'ed they were looking at ratings like MS (cooks)which had a large number of Filipinos, many of whom didn't want to leave duty stations on the west coast. At that time if you had been an E6 or maybe even E7 for say, 6-8 years and hadn't advanced they were not approving reinlistments. If at the time of your EAOS, if you had 20+ you could put in your papers. If not, you just became a civilian.

We had an OS2 on my last ship who had something like 12 years in. He'd been an E5 for something like 6-7 of those 12. He didn't want the responsibility of an E6 but wanted to do his 20 and retire. As soon as they started the "fat boy" testing they got rid of him.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 07-11-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell