Hi guys,

Newbee here & thought I'd post the following. For those of you not aware, Midway finally has Hornady Interlock 303 Cal. 0.312” diameter 150 gr soft point bullets. Hornady # 3120. You may be aware that these have not been in production for a long time. I’ve been bugging Hornady off and one for at least a year to make some more. They will go a long way in maximizing the accuracy in the Mosin. I just picked up a box of 100 at $24.99.

Not having any reloadable cases I also bought a couple of boxes (40 total) of the Serbia made Prvi Partizan (PPU) 150 gr soft point boat tail ammo with the intentions to shoot it than reload with the Hornady bullets. But come to find out the PPU bullet diameters are 0.3113” so they may shoot very well in the Mosin. If you are not a reloader these may be the ideal cartridges for hunting with your Mosin.

I have been shooting the Russian made zinc plated steel Silver Bear 174 gr full jacketed ammo with less than stellar results. The bullet diameter in these is 0.309”, which is a little small in my Mosin which has a groove dia. of 0.3115” and a land (bore) dia. of 0.3025”. The measurements were taken from an impact impression and also confirmed by slugging the bore. BTW, FWIW the impact impression resulted in an overall cartridge length of 2.130” and a neck dia. of 0.340”.

I pulled the bullets on 30 of the PPU ammo & plan to reload 10 with Win. 748 powder, 10 with IMR4350 and 10 with IMR 4831, the only Mosin compatible powders I have in stock. I’ll head to the range with the reloads and the original PPU ammo to check out the results.

BTW, The PPU brass is very nice and uniform with a length of 2.10” and neck wall thickness of 0.0105” to 0.0110”, resulting in a loaded neck diameter of around 0.334” using the Hornady bullets.

Wayne