So I have been toying with the idea of building a bolt action precision/sniper rifle for a while. Well it is now in the beginning stages of finalization.

I ordered the rifle stock that I wanted. Probably a weird way to start a build but it seemed like the way to go considering that the model I wanted has been discontinued and the supply was drying up. So figuring that this was the one thing I was pretty sure I wanted in a rifle I figured that the time was now or never to start. I have put this project off for a long time since it looks like it will be expensive but this seemed like the last chance so I decided to start it. I suspect it will take quite some time but at least it is off to a good start.

So here it is.

An Accuracy International AICS for a Remington 700 short action. In my opinion it is out landashly expensive but it was what I wanted so I figured I had better get one while supplies lasted. Better to cry once than regret it later. It is supposed be good though. Other stocks that I looked at and liked were also expensive.

Well seeing as how I have now cast my dice in the Remington 700 short action of some sort I have questions and could use some opinions on the next step I should take.

It would seem to me from here that the next logical step to take would be to either get a receiver or a barrel. It would seem to me though I don’t know for sure, is that what barrel you get would depend on the receiver correct? So it seems to me that it makes the most sense to get a receiver next.

The good news is I am fairly certain that I want to go with a 308 though I wouldn’t rule something else out at this point. So at this point there are a few options I am thinking about going with, a regular Remington 700, a Surgeon, or a Stiller. Does any one know of any other Remington 700 style receivers. Any opnions on these three?

From what I gather so far the Surgeon seems like it is higher quality though much, much more expensive. The Stiller seems to be much more expensive than the Remington but less than the Surgeon.

So that is about were I am at so far.

I figure after that to get a barrel, then a trigger, followed by a scope.

Does any one know where to get the 10 round mags for this thing? It seems like every single place that I have found that sells them is sold out.