Thread: Picked up an Enfield No.5 for $100! Some general questions about it...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    **Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Picked up an Enfield No.5 for $100! Some general questions about it...

So I was on a routine visit to the LGS to pick up odds and ends when I saw an Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine on the rack for $150. I gave it a once-over and found that the pins that are supposed to hold the front sight/flash hider assembly are missing and the rear sight is missing some parts so it flops around. Other than that, it looked great so I decided to purchase it for $100 ($50 knocked-off for frequent customer "discount").

Now, I was never very knowledgeable on Enfields but I know that the No. 5 is worth way more than $100 and is not something I see very often. I began researching it and started noticing some differences. The left side of the receiver is tapped for a scope mount. The receiver also has no markings on the side other than the serial number (no "No. 5 MK1"). The stock is different, as it doesn't have a top handgaurd, the fore-end is shorter, and I see no evidence of it ever having a barrel band. The left side of the metal strap near the grip only says "England" with a goofy marking above it. There is no year stamped anywhere on this thing. There are British proof marks on the barrel. So far have have only come across one other example of this variation in an image search and no info was available.

Anyone know anything about this variation? Also, any sources for flash hider pins and a rear sight kit? Thanks, fellas!

Last edited by skorpion; 11-18-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003