Michelle Carter, who urged her boyfriend to commit suicide, found guilty in his death

In a landmark case, a Massachusetts judge has ruled that Michelle Carter, who urged her boyfriend through phone calls and text messages to kill himself, is responsible for his death. Bristol County Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz announced Friday that Carter, 20, is guilty of involuntary manslaughter after placing Conrad Roy III in a situation that led to his suicide in 2014.
Moniz [the judge], however, focused on Roy’s final moments when he wavered, stepping out of the truck — and Carter told him to “Get back in.” The judge said that although Carter knew Roy was in trouble, she took no action.
“She admits in a subsequent text that she did nothing — she did not call the police or Mr. Roy’s family,” Moniz said in court. “Finally, she did not issue a simple additional instruction: ‘Get out of the truck.’ ”
Click the link at the very top for the rest of the story.

OK, now I can't figure this out. In order to be arrested, tried in court and sentenced, I thought a crime had to be committed. That is, some law had to be broken.

Although I agree that what the girl did was shitty beyond belief, I wonder what LAW she broke?

I am not aware of any law that REQUIRES a person to take some action to assist another person.

All too many times, a "good Samaritan" ends up in trouble for trying to help someone, prompting many states to pass "good Samaritan" laws to protect those who try in good faith to help someone else from being sued.

And, everyone knows the saying "no good deed goes unpunished". I've lost count of how many times I've gotten screwed for trying to help someone. Nowadays, I see someone in trouble... sorry not my problem. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me 100 times, shame on me. I've learned my lesson.

So, yeah that girl did a rotten thing, but WHAT LAW was broken? How or why is she tried and convicted? SHE didn't kill the guy.... SHE didn't force him back into the carbon monoxide filled truck.

I mean... hell COPS (who supposedly used to "protect and serve") have numerous rulings stating that they have no duty to protect or serve anyone. If not them, then why a private citizen?

Just more grease on that slippery slope......

Discuss.