Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
I climbed up to the 535 foot level of a 1000 foot tall tower of a UHF TV station transmitter in the late 1970's to work on an antenna for our radio club's 2 meter repeater. The tower is a triangular truss design with a ladder inside. And, it's braced with guy wires. Being inside the tower is an interesting experience. It sways in the wind and it has several bending modes. The guy wires also howl, and with different KINDS of howling depending on wind direction and speed. Climbing up 535 feet while wearing a backpack filled with about 20 pounds of tools and parts was a real workout, even for the young, healthy kid I used to be! One thing I regret... WHY did I never take a camera up there? The view was absolutely incredible!
I had a buddy who worked as a photographer for the SF Chronicle. He got a gig taking photos from the TOP of one of the TOWERS of the Golden Gate Bridge. Even though you're harnessed and hooked in for safety, you're STILL OUTSIDE on the top of the tower looking DOWN at the cars on the bridge and then another 245 feet to the water. He said "Hey you wanna go and help me with gear?" Normally I would say yes, but I couldn't go through with it. About half way up I say, NO WAY and went down again.