I have a Tasco scope on a .22LR bolt action rifle and the "power ring" is very hard to turn. It is s 3-7 X 20 and, to turn the ring, I have to wrap the ring with a piece of towel and use a pair of pliers to turn it. The main tube is about 3/4" in outside diameter.
I called CS at Tasco (Bushnell and others now) but she couldn't help other than to suggest I fill out the "repair form" and see if they have any suggestions. She didn't want to suggest any kind of lubrication for fear that it might get into the internals, the same fear I had as well. I don't know exactly how old the scope is but it might be as much as 30 years. I only shoot this rifle a couple of times a year but haven't for the last two. I haven't tried to adjust the power from 7x in years as I'm shooting varmints at 50 yds. + and I want to pinpoint them.
Do any of you have any idea as to why this might be so hard to turn? BTW - the "fluting" on this ring is very fine serrations, maybe 1/32" from top to trough, so there isn't a lot of tread to grip.
Any ideas of what I could use (or try) to lubricate this ring?