Thread: Colt Halts Production of Long Guns for the Retail Market

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Colt Halts Production of Long Guns for the Retail Market

After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Fuck 'em and the proverbial horse they rode in on

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Is this groundhog day? Didn't they do this before?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I will add, limiting your customer base to military contracts only is a smart move for a company that just filed bankruptcy and only makes one product that the military might be interested in but it is a product that everyone else seems to be able to offer for cheaper (i.e., bushmaster, remington, and FN). I did see that colt won a contract for 88M run through 2020. Good for them, and after that?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I believe you’re correct. IIRC after the exclusive deal they had on the M4 expired they started putting more emphasis back on retail sales with things like the restart of their DA/SA revolvers.

From a business standpoint it might work out. You don’t get sued by the military if someone kills someone with one of your firearms. They probably have more revenue selling to the military when you figure in all the spare parts and stuff above and beyond the sale of just the firearm.

Production is probably more efficient and profitable since you know how many guns over what period of time. Fewer production highs and lows than trying to anticipate the retail market, Xmas, hunting season, gun legislation panic buys, etc.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 09-12-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Late word indicates that this is just for about 180 days to allow them to catch up on military and police orders, then they'll resume sales.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

The Truth About Colt's AR-15 Production

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/..._medium=banner

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

It may also have something to do with certain stores that have either already stopped (Dick's), or will soon end (Wal-Fart), sales of firearms, or the majority thereof.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    It may also have something to do with certain stores that have either already stopped (Dick's), or will soon end (Wal-Fart), sales of firearms, or the majority thereof.
    Perhaps but Walmart doesn’t sell handguns and AR’s are pretty scarce as well. I can’t recall ever seeing a Colt firearm for sale at a Walmart.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell