Thread: Beyond the NRA - what is out there?

Beyond the NRA - what is out there?

While I am a "life member" of the NRA, there are two other organizations that send me newsletters with monetary requests. One in particular, I haven't been able to find much information but the other is better known.
    I would appreciate any feedback you have on these two groups. They are the "Firearms Policy Coalition" and the "Gun Owners of America".
    Yes, I know about SAF and the affiliated CCRKBA group but as a senior on limited income, I have to exercise caution and restraint.

Thanks.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I am a member of GOA. They seem like a good organization. Don't ask for money nearly as often as NRA, and I see them being active. Haven't heard of the other.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

GOA is good to go.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

SAF all the way, they get more accomplished than any of them. The others are lobbying groups, SAF takes states to court.

Find a local group also, that's the best way to change things. We have a very effective group here called AZCDL, one of the reasons we have constitutional carry here among other freedoms.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    SAF all the way, they get more accomplished than any of them. The others are lobbying groups, SAF takes states to court.

Find a local group also, that's the best way to change things. We have a very effective group here called AZCDL, one of the reasons we have constitutional carry here among other freedoms.
    Agreed! SAF is the one who is grassroots taking cases to court. GOA is great non compromise. I just became a lifetime member with the SAF because they do so much actual litigation. NRA member too, I need to reup with GOA but all in all look at all the court cases, the SAF stands out where the NRA punts. IIRC it was either Heller or McDonald that the NRA punted or maybe both that the SAF pursued while the NRA didn't want the case brought.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 05-16-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Agreed! SAF is the one who is grassroots taking cases to court. GOA is great non compromise. I just became a lifetime member with the SAF because they do so much actual litigation. NRA member too, I need to reup with GOA but all in all look at all the court cases, the SAF stands out where the NRA punts. IIRC it was either Heller or McDonald that the NRA punted or maybe both that the SAF pursued while the NRA didn't want the case brought.
    Yep, there was a little behind the scenes obstruction from the NRA on both cases. I met Alan Gura at an SAF conference in phoenix after the heller decision, stood around drinking coffee with a bunch of guys and he left the impression that the NRA was'nt as helpful as they could be.

Thanks for the feedback folks. At one of the IGold (IL Gun Owners Lobby Day) rallies in Springfield several years ago, I met Gura and heard him speak. He was also one of the litigants that finally got CC for Illinois.

Joining the IL State Rifle Assoc. is one of the options I have been considering but, as I said in my OP, funds are tight. I had to take SS early which didn't help. As for GOA, the emails I get from them are less frequent and more "informative" than FPC as well as less pushy about donations.

Thanks again. It looks like SAF, then ISRA, then GOA are the way I should go.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Thanks for the feedback folks. At one of the IGold (IL Gun Owners Lobby Day) rallies in Springfield several years ago, I met Gura and heard him speak. He was also one of the litigants that finally got CC for Illinois.

Joining the IL State Rifle Assoc. is one of the options I have been considering but, as I said in my OP, funds are tight. I had to take SS early which didn't help. As for GOA, the emails I get from them are less frequent and more "informative" than FPC as well as less pushy about donations.

Thanks again. It looks like SAF, then ISRA, then GOA are the way I should go.
    Doesn't take much to be a Lifetime member of SAF. $150 get a plaque and everything. I think your priority is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Yep, there was a little behind the scenes obstruction from the NRA on both cases. I met Alan Gura at an SAF conference in phoenix after the heller decision, stood around drinking coffee with a bunch of guys and he left the impression that the NRA was'nt as helpful as they could be.
    Love it Davepool! When the people actually moving the cases and presenting them have the time to talk with you, you know they are real.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Love it Davepool! When the people actually moving the cases and presenting them have the time to talk with you, you know they are real.
    Yep, real down-to-earth people, but then most gun rights folks are. You get to hang out with the movers and shakers in the gun rights movement and find out they're just like you

I was carrying a caplock pistol i built from a kit, came out to pretty to shoot and got a lot of fun attention; the question of the day was ,"how fast can you do a tactical reload with a muzzleloader" some serious conversations ensued.

The great thing about the SAF conferences is they're free to members, i don't think the NRAs are
    Last edited by davepool; 05-18-2021 at 06:12 PM.