Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argentine Navy FN-49 followed me home today

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Argentine Navy FN-49 followed me home today

I was conducting a random local gun store visit when I saw an FN-49 on consignment hanging on the wall. Upon further inspection, I found it to be an Argentine Navy 7.62x51 NATO conversion model with the 20-round removable magazine, bayonet, and all matching numbers. $450 lighter and she was mine. Now, to find some magazines for it. Any suggestions? Liberty Tree Collectors used to carry them for $35, but are currently out of stock, probably thanks to the current buying frenzy. I doubt they will get more in any time soon, if ever.

From my recent reading, I understand around 5,000 of this type of FN-49 were made and 2,000 were imported, making these not-too-common.

Last edited by skorpion; 01-29-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Very nice find!!! Enjoy!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congrats. IIRC El Duce has or had one of those (could be mistaken). If so he might have an idea on the mags.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

damn thats sweet. Im jealous. Good for you bro.

Thanks, guys. It's too bad mags aren't widely available for these like I thought while I was buying it, or I'd call it a good poor man's battle rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Thanks, guys. It's too bad mags aren't widely available for these like I thought while I was buying it, or I'd call it a good poor man's battle rifle.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=327563993

63 bucks buy it now

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    Thanks. Found some for $25 at Centerfire Systems of all places and ordered six. I had no luck after conducting a thorough Google search, then I randomly decided to try Centerfire. I'm debating whether or not to order even more, as I'm sure these mags won't be easy to find again in the future once they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Thanks. Found some for $25 at Centerfire Systems of all places and ordered six. I had no luck after conducting a thorough Google search, then I randomly decided to try Centerfire. I'm debating whether or not to order even more, as I'm sure these mags won't be easy to find again in the future once they're gone.
    Thats a score. All set now. I say order what you can afford.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Somebody has stripped all the finish off that stock. You need to oil that sucker it looks dry as a bail of hay. Nice acquisition.

I have an Egyptian in 8mm mauser.

It's in no where near as nice of shape as the one you have.

I have been debating refinishing it. It needs a new stock too.

Sweet... I like it

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post

I think mine's an Egyptian, too. However, from what I remember (it's been a few years since I've actually looked at it), my mag is shorter, has rounded corners, and looks like it's attached to the rifle with some kind of screw-in attachment that makes a mag change a little harder to do. I always thought it had to be loaded with stirpper clips from the top, so I never bothered looking for other mags.

Got me curious now. I'll have to dig it out and look more closely at the mag and how it attaches. If I remember correctly, the mag holds 10 rounds.

I had my stock refinished shortly after I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I think mine's an Egyptian, too. However, from what I remember (it's been a few years since I've actually looked at it), my mag is shorter, has rounded corners, and looks like it's attached to the rifle with some kind of screw-in attachment that makes a mag change a little harder to do. I always thought it had to be loaded with stirpper clips from the top, so I never bothered looking for other mags.

Got me curious now. I'll have to dig it out and look more closely at the mag and how it attaches. If I remember correctly, the mag holds 10 rounds.

Yep mag holds 10 and loads with two Mauser stripper clips through the top

Awesome deal. Saw a 30-06 at Cabelas last night - almost 1K. Still cheaper then any Garand they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Somebody has stripped all the finish off that stock. You need to oil that sucker it looks dry as a bail of hay. Nice acquisition.
    Yeah, it could definitely use a little bit of oil. It is bone-dry.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post

Clean that baby up, give it some love, and post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post

I think all FN-49s were originally 10-round fixed mag rifles. The Argentine Navy decided to keep theirs around longer by updating them with 7.62 NATO conversion parts and modifying them to utilize proprietary removable magazines in the '60s.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

If it is like my Egyptian say away from hot surplus... I have a case of 8mm German MG42 ammo that jams it and my Hakeem...

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Always wanted one of them. That's pretty much a steal in todays world! They weren't much cheaper many years ago when I was looking at buying one IIRC. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Congrats. IIRC El Duce has or had one of those (could be mistaken). If so he might have an idea on the mags.
    Had one when I had my C&R. I think that I got it from aim. Couldn't get it to work. Sent it back, they sent another. Didn't function. Sent it back. Never got another.

Very nice man!!!

I am jealous as fuck.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Very cool! It would have been tough for me to say no to that guy...
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast