Thread: Anybody here ever work at a car lot?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Anybody here ever work at a car lot?

I've worked on a couple back in the early 90s. I tend to observe them as I drive by. I gotta tell you, there is no traffic at these dealerships. None. I hope we aren't looking at a downturn in the economy. The people on YouTube I tend to watch are really pushing the next recession. My concern is that the next recession may be a long one.
    Just waxing philosophic.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Must be a local phenomenon. Dealerships around here (Maryland) appear to be doing fine.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I live in the sticks, but my work takes me through Nashville, Murfreesboro, etc..And the amount of inventory is crazy.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Might be because people figure they can once again afford new vehicles. When the economy tanked in 2008 and after, every one bought used vehicles as that was all they could afford. Now with the economy improving, people are trading in to buy new. And lower tier wage earners are trading in older, wore out vehicles to buy "newer" used vehicles.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Nissan has cut their production 20%.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I was a lot boy in 1969-70 at a big chevy dealer. This dealership was known for bringing in the baddest and coolest muscle cars chevy made,
    It was a job made in heaven for a 16 year old kid, i got to go for a ride around the block in a 69 ZL-1 camaro and a few other muscle cars that are selling for huge bucks now

My uncle and grandfather were big car guys, especially for Chevy. Both were engineers for TVA, so they had a little money for tinkering. I also got to ride in a few including a Plymouth Superbird, a Shelby 350, and numerous Chevelles and Camaros. I came of age during the golden age of music, tv, and muscle cars.
    I was just curiousif anyone else had noticed the slowing of car sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I was just curiousif anyone else had noticed the slowing of car sales.
    Yep. Have also noticed a price rise in older vehicles that are not computer equipped.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Yes, do a search and find that new car sales are down over last year. Maybe the crazy price of new vehicles is causing people to rethink buying? With the average car having enough safety features because most people can't drive, the average sale price is well over $30,000 per vehicle. That is nuts!!!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I always buy used...
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Yeah I bought my 09 Ranger for 11,700 cash out the door. The new Ranger is 23k for the cheap one.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

The price to replace my truck with a 2019 with the same options that mine had in 2011 would be $10,000 more than i paid - $32,500. That's a pretty steep jump in price in 9 years, and mines just a play truck. I saw a 2019 GMC 2500 4x4 crew cab Denali that had a window price of $79,000 !!!

I heard that 10 year financing is becoming common, geez 120 months of car payments is ridiculous.
    Last edited by davepool; 05-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    The price to replace my truck with a 2019 with the same options that mine had in 2011 would be $10,000 more than i paid - $32,500. That's a pretty steep jump in price in 9 years, and mines just a play truck. I saw a 2019 GMC 2500 4x4 crew cab Denali that had a window price of $79,000 !!!

I heard that 10 year financing is becoming common, geez 120 months of car payments is ridiculous.
    I was in a Harley Davidson dealership two years ago and was pricing their trikes. The cheapest one was $38,500. Damn, all new vehicles are getting ridiculously high priced....

Used is the way to go....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post

I honestly prefer beat up surplus trucks. Buy for 4-5k and drive for 6 years. Then sell it for $600 and repeat. Door dings mean nothing to me now. I reciprocate by giving them mine with about 75% leg power.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

This might have something to do with the record levels of defaults on car loans.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"