Thread: Have you guys ever thought about what you would do when you want to get RID of your guns? ;)

Have you guys ever thought about what you would do when you want to get RID of your guns? ;)

I'm talking about when you're SUPER OLD and ready to kick the bucket. You can't take it with you and I sure as HELL don't want the state or county taking them.

I don't have kids or heirs, so when I kick it, that's it for the family line. I have other relatives who are procreating but they don't like guns so I'm the black sheep of the family. Have you guys ever thought of how you would make sure your firearms are preserved and used by others who will love and appreciate them?

For those of you who have kids you'll just bequeath the guns to, you'll do fine. But anyone else?

My intention is eventually retire to a state that's NOT a BLUE STATE full of gun control bullshit, and then to sell them off when I get really old and can't even shoot any more (but I don't want to be confused like BIDEN, because that means I"ll get ripped off or exploited by others). So I'll be one of those really OLD FARTS sitting at a table at a gun show somewhere LOL. Do ANY of you guys have your own 'exit strategy'?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I've got 3 kids. Already talked to them about my guns and they will be divided among them.

But, I'm working on a way to take one or two with me.......
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I expect to either give my guns to my daughter or keep them till I die. I am keeping an excel workbook with the information my wife will need to sell them, age, value, any special information about the gun, as I know that as soon as the Dr. tell her I am dead she will start the sell off. She doesn't necessarily mind me having them, she just doesn't want them. I will also try to set up with a local store for consignment so she doesn't have to try to figure out how to advertise or transfer them.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I at least want to be buried with a coked and locked 1911. You never know what the afterlife will entail and it would be a serious WTF for an archaeologist in 1000 years.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I at least want to be buried with a coked and locked 1911. You never know what the afterlife will entail and it would be a serious WTF for an archaeologist in 1000 years.
    Especially if it was pointed at his face when he opened the casket.

My daughter is getting my guns, she freaks out when i mention i might sell one, she knows how much they're worth.

Ya know tank, you could move to AZ when the time comes, i've seen several old guys at gunshows selling off their stash. One old guy (30 yrs ago) had an M1 garand he had "appropriated" during the korean war. I asked if it was legal to sell, he said, "what are you a fucking cop"
    Last edited by davepool; 05-04-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I've got 3 kids. Already talked to them about my guns and they will be divided among them.

But, I'm working on a way to take one or two with me.......
    Boys will divide up the arsenal , as far as trying to take one with me , I don't think it will fit in the urn .

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Boys will divide up the arsenal , as far as trying to take one with me , I don't think it will fit in the urn .
    You just need a bigger urn, like this one.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-465?a=2071117
    Last edited by alismith; 05-04-2020 at 11:54 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

There is a couple of pages of pictures with serial numbers of my firearms that are in the 3-ring binder with the rest of my trust documents. The instructions are that they are to go to my grand-nephew who, unfortunately, is only in his early "teens" now.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Family and close friends is all I can think of.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

mine will go to my daughter, who encourages me to buy a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post

My daughter is getting my guns, she freaks out when i mention i might sell one, she knows how much they're worth.

Ya know tank, you could move to AZ when the time comes, i've seen several old guys at gunshows selling off their stash. One old guy (30 yrs ago) had an M1 garand he had "appropriated" during the korean war. I asked if it was legal to sell, he said, "what are you a fucking cop"
    What worries me is that I have a ton of vintage stuff that's still in cosmoline Great for preservation but hell, it looks like crap and it's a hell of a chore to clean them up. I picked up crates of milsurp European stuff back when it was cheap. I haven't cracked some of those crates in DECADES (imagine the cosmoline so thick that you can't even tell what the item is until you smear off a bunch).

LOL. I guess I can HIRE some young kid to start cleaning them off when I'm a really OLD geezer (versus the relatively young GEEZER I am now )

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Have you guys ever thought about what you would do when you want to get RID of your guns?
    No, cause when I kick the bucket my kids get the guns. And we have already decided who gets what, the only requirement is that anyone can borrow/use any weapon.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    What worries me is that I have a ton of vintage stuff that's still in cosmoline Great for preservation but hell, it looks like crap and it's a hell of a chore to clean them up. I picked up crates of milsurp European stuff back when it was cheap. I haven't cracked some of those crates in DECADES (imagine the cosmoline so thick that you can't even tell what the item is until you smear off a bunch).

LOL. I guess I can HIRE some young kid to start cleaning them off when I'm a really OLD geezer (versus the relatively young GEEZER I am now )
    I bought one of those Yugo SKS rifles with the grenade launcher thing on the barrel. The stock was so saturated with cosmoline that it would weep and drip cosmoline every time I used it and it got hot.

I had to remove the rifle from the stock, then wrap the stock in tons of paper towel. Then, I put it in the oven at 150°F until the paper was soaked. I had to do this three times before all the cosmoline came out.

What a pain that was.

BTW, the grenade launcher was so damned heavy that I cut it off and re-crowned the muzzle. The rifle is nicely balanced now and the barrel is 18-1/2 inches long, so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post

Why would you ask him if it was legal to sell?