Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Musings of an old man....

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    So I just need to find my safe space ??
    Outer space, inner space, safe space......one or the other.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    https://www.space.com/24625-oldest-s...discovery.html

According to this article, this is the oldest known star in the universe. Yet, rather than being located at the origin of the big bang, or at the farthest edge of the Universe, it is located a mere 6000 or so light years from Earth. Odd how a star formed 13 billion years ago is out here with an Earth formed only 4 billion years ago.

ETA:. Scientist also estimate the age of our galaxy at some 13 billion years or so. They say we are one of the oldest in the Universe. As Hubble telescope has looked into empty space, and found light from objects some 13 billion light years distant, then they would be just as old as we are.

If everything came from the big bang, wouldn't everything be the same age? Wouldn't all galaxies form on roughly the same time scale after the big bang? Now, I could reconcile this with my thoughts on a "great Condensate" theory, only if the big bang only created energy when it happened. As that energy expanded, it would begin to lose pressure in an ever expanding volume till it cooled enough to condense into mass. But for all the material in the Universe to be about the same age , the energy would have needed to all condense at once. Hence, my example of relieving pressure in a hot soda bottle.

I'm still curious how all the Universe could have fit in a singularity, yet was somehow able to overcome it's own inescapable gravity to break up in an explosion. If all the energy and mass of the Universe was in a single mass, then energy would change back to mass, all the mass would crush itself into one solid piece. Individual atoms would cease to exist, as protons, neutrons and electrons were crushed out of existence into the one solid mass. Energy would become part of this mass.
    That would only leave gravity to hold it all together. With that much gravity holding it together, and there is no energy, one could speculate that no temperature existed in this mass either, as temp is energy and the energy has become part of the mass...sorta stored awayy

So, if we have everything in the Universe combined into one mass, with no free energy, and held together by the strength of a gravity that holds an entire Universe together,...how could it explode?
    All I can conclude is that a some point, gravity must cease to exist and is the last thing to be changed back to mass. When that happens, then the mass could release its stored energy in a big bang. Everything becomes energy in the explosion, untill it has spread far enough that the heat and pressure it was under drops enough let mass condense out again.

That's the only way I know to reconcile the two ideas to each other.

Of course, I'm still sceptical that there is an ever expanding and then contracting of the Universe.
    Last edited by N/A; 05-24-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

I'm just sitting here thinking about the problem of travelling vast distances in space, and especially the idea that it would take too long to travel anywhere outside our own solar system. Which of course is true for the speeds we can attain presently.

A trip to the nearest star, 4 light years distant, would take forever at present technology. So the idea is that we need faster than light travel. Even at 4 times the speed of light it would take a year to travel 4 light years. Sustaining a crew for a year is no little chore. Would we need to provision them for a year there and a year back, plus their time there? Not really.

Let's take an example of sending a ship to the nearest star at a much slower speed than light, say at 7/10 the speed of light. At the speed of light it would take 4 years, so at 7/10 light speed, it might take 5 years say. (I'm using 7/10 as that is something we could obtain long before 4 X light speed. But now we are talking about 5 years travel to, say 2 years exploring, and 5 years travel back to Earth. That's a 12 year mission in the best scenario. The logistics of just food and water for the trip would be massive. But would it really?

Any values I toss out here now, are just guesses to illustrate my thoughts. If we could send out a ship today to the nearest star and back on the above exploration, we could not expect to see it again for 12 years at the earliest. But that's for us left on Earth. The time of those on the ship would be much shorter. The theroy is that as speed approaches C, time approaches zero. So, let's say as the crew is traveling at 7/10 C, they might only be experiencing 1/10 of normal time. Thus, for a trip of 60 months at 7/10 C, the crew would only experience 1/10 of 60 months, or only 6 months to travel 4 light years.

To me then, interstellar travel doesn't look so hard from a time stand point, just got to have the technology to travel fast.

Came across this while looking at family history.

Beside a dirt road in Texas, lies a small grave that has been watched over for 148 years; yet no one knows the deceased name or who their family was. It is only known as "the little girl grave".
    Her family was moving west by covered wagon in 1870. The girl died by disease or accident at this spot, and was buried where she fell. The family moved on, but the girl has been watched over by caring people since. Of all the thousands who died by the wayside, and we're soon lost to history, this girl's unknown memories live on in stranger's hearts.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    So many of us never leave a mark on society and just become an engraving on a piece of stone.

And then there are politicians who leave such a mark they deserve to be stoned.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    In days of yore, when I read a lot, I remember one author theorized that one could create a small sphere in the earth; and if that empty sphere was placed at the right spot, anything inside that sphere would be weightless. He cited one particular spot and the reason why.

Thinking on it, there may be more than one spot theoretically possible. Does anyone have a guess at what particular spot he mentioned, and why?

At the center of the earth... if you could take the heat and pressure... you would be in a zero gravity condition. This is because the gravity of the earth pulls on you evenly from all directions and cancels out.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I dunno. I read somewhere that kaku or some other physics nerd said gravity actually pushes you down, not pulls you down. It's a wave.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

So, if I take two metal disk, that are magnetized, and suspend one from a frame, and then slowly raise the other one underneath it, till it is attracted only enough to hang suspended in air....is it pulled up or pushed up?

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    So many of us never leave a mark on society and just become an engraving on a piece of stone.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

With some of idiotic speeches being made by the radical leftist politicians lately, i wonder if they're not already stoned

So, if I take two metal disk, that are magnetized, and suspend one from a frame, and then slowly raise the other one underneath it, till it is attracted only enough to hang suspended in air....is it pulled up or pushed up?
    Depends on the magnetic current.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Yep, as in this simple example, like poles (north/north or south/south) facing each other pushes each other away. By the same token, opposite poles facing each other pull them together.

Would it be sensible to wonder if gravity has two "poles"? If so, would the way to generate antigravity be to find the other "pole" of gravity so objects could repell each other?

ETA:
    Let's conjecture that if the universe consists of matter in three forms, (mass...energy...gravity), that the opposite of that is anti-matter (anti-mass...anti-energy...anti-gravity), then the way to "cheap" space travel would be to create and contain enough anti-mass so that we had enough anti-gravity to repell us from gravity.

It would then be only to figure out how much anti-mass you needed to move an amount of mass...and what kind of field to construct to contain the anti-mass. Maybe a magnetic field would repell an anti-magnectic field, and allow us to suspend anti-mass in a magnetic field.
    Last edited by N/A; 07-09-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Damn, I really need hoe to proof read before posting, and stop all this editing

How I'd build a flying "saucer".

I have removed the link to the image, as it apparently has malware.

First of all, it would have to be round, and have an "airfoil" shape....

1. At the front I would have a removable weapons compartment, that could be switched out quickly for rearming. Each separate compartment could be configured to hold rockets, or automatic weapons; 50 cal. or larger. Rockets could be air-to-air or air-to-ground.

2. On two sides of the airframe, I would have the edges able to pivot up or down. This would allow the ship to remain in level attitude, yet climb or descend in altitude. It would allow the ship to also flip either left or right, by tilting the edges in opposite directions.

3. There would be two variable air inlets to feed two jet engines (8). The inlets could be opened wider as the ship went higher to let more air in to compensate for the thinner air.

4. I'd put two stabilizers on it.

5. The single jet exhaust at the rear would be a variable direction thrust nozzle that would be the main thing that controlled the direction of the ship. By pointing it in any direction, it would basically force the ship to turn, and then return to "straight back" for forward flight in the new direction. Employed with (2) and (4) to give greater directional change in air-to-air combat.

6. I would have a tank of LOX on certain ships, which I'll explain later.

7. Would be the cockpit.

8. The ship would be powered by two jet engines. I would have them placed at a slight angle in the airframe, so that their exhaust could be ducted into one exhaust to the variable exhaust nozzle (5).
    Last edited by N/A; 03-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Yep, as in this simple example, like poles (north/north or south/south) facing each other pushes each other away. By the same token, opposite poles facing each other pull them together.

Would it be sensible to wonder if gravity has two "poles"? If so, would the way to generate antigravity be to find the other "pole" of gravity so objects could repell each other?

ETA:
    Let's conjecture that if the universe consists of matter in three forms, (mass...energy...gravity), that the opposite of that is anti-matter (anti-mass...anti-energy...anti-gravity), then the way to "cheap" space travel would be to create and contain enough anti-mass so that we had enough anti-gravity to repell us from gravity.

It would then be only to figure out how much anti-mass you needed to move an amount of mass...and what kind of field to construct to contain the anti-mass. Maybe a magnetic field would repell an anti-magnectic field, and allow us to suspend anti-mass in a magnetic field.
    Gravity isn't a "force." It's a warp in space-time. It can't have two poles like a magnet.

Here's the expert on this:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/en...estion2322.htm

and here:

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight...curvature.html

Not sure if there will ever be anything close to "anti-gravity."
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Gravity isn't a "force." It's a warp in space-time. It can't have two poles like a magnet.

Here's the expert on this:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/en...estion2322.htm

and here:

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight...curvature.html

Not sure if there will ever be anything close to "anti-gravity."
    What is space, exactly?

What is space, exactly?

The emptiness found within the skulls of liberal democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    The emptiness found within the skulls of liberal democrats.
    Also in their hearts and souls.

Also in their hearts and souls.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As for space, if one can't explain what space is, what that empty void consists of, then how can one say it can be warped or folded?

The same with time. What is time exactly? What is time made of?

If you don't know what space or time is made of, then how can one say the two can be combined together into space-time? Is it just a fancy thought to explain what we really can't explain?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast