Thread: Bought a Kel-Tec Sub-2000; Anyone do the upgrades?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Bought a Kel-Tec Sub-2000; Anyone do the upgrades?

Looking at this for a mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUDCNN6...9HWLPMNF7&psc=

Maybe this as a red dot: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D4BGC8...d-3d4e111bf1f5

Gotta have something from Tacticool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KBTAAXG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone know if the trigger kit is worth the $224?: https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2...ob-bundle.aspx

Need 3 more Glock 33 rounds 9mm mags if anyone has some to get rid of...

I'm warming to the idea of carrying a laptop bag, laptop backpack or shoulder pack around with a rifle and 200 rounds...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Bought one of the first which unfortunately uses S&W Model 59 mags. Wish I knew and/or waited for Beretta 92 or Glock mag versions would be coming out.

The only modification I made was installing some foam on the butt-stock to absorb some of the snap it has. Also the early ones were originally to be police trunk guns and had recoil springs designed for +P ammo. Didn't know that at the time and was having problems with standard ammo. Called Kel-Tec and a very friendly person explained it to me. He offered my choice of either sending the rifle back for them to change the spring or they would just send me the spring for me to change. A free spring arrived in the mail a couple of days later.

I carry mine it a laptop bag. Works great. Haven't done anything else to it, and have to admit it is one fun, accurate and odd looking rifle.

Couple of heads up, first I never figured out how to lock the stock in the closed position, or mine is broken. Not really needed.

Two, the instructions point out to make sure you don't pull the trigger with the bolt carrier removed as this will make it impossible to reinstall. For some reason mine always releases the hammer when I take it apart for cleaning. A long flat blade screwdriver is required to reset the hammer. Not a problem if you are ready for it.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I carry mine, and two 33 rnd. mags, and 3 smaller mags, in a fairly large backpack with my hiking/fossil collecting equipment. I seldom carry it by itself, but would switch to a smaller, laptop-type bag if I did.

Mcarbo has some neat stuff...might have to get a few things from them. Thanks.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Bought one of the first which unfortunately uses S&W Model 59 mags. Wish I knew and/or waited for Beretta 92 or Glock mag versions would be coming out.
    I wish I had held out for the Sig 226 version, but I bought a Glock not knowing that it was the only one you can't change to other mags. I think I may just buy a model 19 to carry with it.

This gen 2 locks up fine...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The Glock Mag using version is the only one I would entertain owning. But that said I don't own one. The list of accessories and mods is going to take it and double the price. Something just seems fundamentally wrong with that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    The Glock Mag using version is the only one I would entertain owning. But that said I don't own one. The list of accessories and mods is going to take it and double the price. Something just seems fundamentally wrong with that approach.
    Tell me you never doubled the price of an AR... LOL

The optic and mount I wouldn't count toward the doubling the price. If you want/need an optic you just have to bite the bullet. I've seen a lot of people spend as much or more for an optic than the rifle it went on.

Mags. Well I know you and I agree that you should have 6 to 10 for any rifle and well, Glock mags are expensive for a chunk of plastic. And I would be buying extra mags for anything else I bought.

The recoil tube pad is cheap and everything I read it makes firing the weapon much more comfortable.

Really, the trigger & parts upgrade I don't like the $224 price, but it does come well recommended. This I would like to see the upgrade as standard on the rifle, but still in all, raising the price to $627 isn't that bad compared to some other nice 9mm carbines. That is the price of a Beretta. CZ and Sig are much higher. The Ruger and Hi Point are the only ones cheaper. ARs start around there and go way up.

And none of them fold in half and fit into a laptop case or laptop backpack. Since half of Starbucks customers are carrying one or the other, it is great urban camo for a rifle and 200 rounds... Yea, I know some of the others have take down models, but it is faster to just unfold & cock.

Finally uploaded a picture of mine to show the recoil pad I installed and modified. The foam make shouldering a bit slow, but it is much more comfortable.

I was thinking the sub-2000 is maybe a 100 yard rifle. These guys are shooting one at 440 yards! Admittedly, they are not close to hitting the target every shot, but with iron sights at 440 yards!

This one shows the 124 grain 9mm hollow point EXPANDING at 440 yards!

I'm now thinking I may want a 4x for it instead of just a red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Finally uploaded a picture of mine to show the recoil pad I installed and modified. The foam make shouldering a bit slow, but it is much more comfortable.
    You might want to look at this pad.

https://www.amazon.com/Exclusively-S...SIN=B0153H0J0K

Interesting pad design. At this point not worth it for me, but not a bad idea for someone who is still with the original stock.