Thread: Y'all like tri-tip?

Y'all like tri-tip?

Who here likes cooking tri-tip? I always hear that it ins't common outside of northern california? It is one of my favorite cuts of meat it has good beefy flavor is a decent size, not too expensive, and unless you get one at a bargain store fairly tender ( I don't think I have ever had one with a big vein of gristle in it). I keep reading that it is hard to cook but I think it is very easy and tolerates a wide range of doneness. here is my technique.

Raw tri-tip after dry brining overnight. I have done this the last few times and really like how it comes out. The day before i am going to cook it I coat it very lightly with kosher salt (don't go crazy it doesn't need to look like it's covered in snow) maybe a table spoon for the whole tri tip. I then cover it in a dry rub, it is ok if the rub also has salt in it. my personal preference is a bbq rub that is "beefy" in flavor. I like the sweeter rubs for pork. It will be fine I have done it before but I don't prefer a suggary rub on someting like this. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder etc. something to compliment the beef flavor. A prime rib rub would be good too.

nothing wrong with a sweet bbq rib type rub, just not my preference. A lot of people marinade them but I like the dry rubs.

The set up. To me this is important. Indirect heat, put a drip pan in the middle of the bbq and fill partway with water. This will keep the fat from making a mess of your bbq and will also prevent flare ups which will shoot up your grill temp and mess up your meat. put the coals to the side. Buy a trimmed tri-tip or trim like in the picture. Untrimmed has about a half inch to and inch of fat on the fat side. Way too much. cut it down to about an eight to a quarter inch. don't remove all of it. Cook with the fat side up for most of the cook time. about 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size. keep the dampers on the bbq closed about half way. cook with the fat side down until the internal temp reaches about 125 to 130. then put the trip tip on direct heat turning every few minutes. you want to render the fat down a bit but you don't want to burn it. The magic number for me is 135 for internal temperature. a little less if you like it real rare a little more if you like it more well done. to me this is a good medium. The ends will be cooked more than the middle for the people who like it that way.

This is the end result. I overshot my temp a little so it is a tad more well done than I like. Cut across the grain. I like to cut it fairly thin about 1/8" 1/4" probably makes more sense, you aren't slicing steaks though. It is good just like this with a little salt and pepper, or with some bbq sauce, or with a little horse raddish.

When I sliced it more toward the thicker part it was a little rarer and was more how I like it.

Flavor was great, very tastly. Tri-tip is not tender in the way that a fillet mignon is, cut across the grain it is a little coarse but is not "tough".

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Geez that sure sounds and looks good. They must call it something else here. I don't think I have heard of that cut of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Geez that sure sounds and looks good. They must call it something else here. I don't think I have heard of that cut of meat.
    Really? Everyone I know around here cooks or smokes Tri Tip for our BBQs/parties.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    I've never heard of it either. Everyone I've been around uses the brisket for BBQ, when using beef.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

What time should I be over?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

That does look good. I have heard the name "tri-tip" before but I'm not aware of it being sold under that name in the St. Louis, MO area. I'll have to ask.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The term Tri-tip is news to me. Never heard of it before. Looks like what I'd describe as a Brisket.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    The term Tri-tip is news to me. Never heard of it before. Looks like what I'd describe as a Brisket.
    Very different cut of meat very different character, you don't have to slow cook the fuck our if it like a brisket and it's not crazy expensive the one in my pic was 17 bucks. I believe it's part of the bottom sirloin

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Very different cut of meat very different character, you don't have to slow cook the fuck our if it like a brisket and it's not crazy expensive the one in my pic was 17 bucks. I believe it's part of the bottom sirloin
    Seriously I wonder if it's a West Coast thing. Everyone I KNOW LOVES tri tip. It's what people salivate over, especially if someone has a good SMOKER and spends some time seriously smoking it to perfection

Just did a little "look-see" and found this.
    "Tri-tip" is either a roast or a steak, depending on how it is cut. Only two per steer so not much use for it. Frequently ground into "sirloin patties".
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/beef-t...-recipe-331497
    https://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/c...-cook-tri-tip/
    https://www.bhg.com/recipes/beef/ste...tri-tip-steak/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip
    Eat hearty !
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I think you'd get killed for grinding it into burger around here. Sometimes Costco had prime which is a little pricy but amazing