Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk survival/shtf weaponry.

was_peacemaker

Lets talk survival/shtf weaponry.

We know that these threads could be a lot of fun. Notice in the thread title I said "weaponry" at the top...so this includes bows, knives and anything else your good with. Also I was a bit inspired by a thread in General Discussion.

Anyway my favorites.

1. SKS (any model) quick, light, reliable, accurate enough for hunting and defensive purposes.
    2. Ruger 10/22 preferably with the stock ten round mags. For small game and light defense.
    3. Winchester Model 1200 shotgun in 12 gauge.
    4. Any quality Long Bow or Recurve Bow with a draw weight between 45 pounds-70 pounds.
    5. Ka-Bar USMC with a good edge.
    6. Mosin Nagant M91/30.
    8. A good shovel. You can never go wrong with a good shovel. Whether its a basic shovel with a sawed down handle, US G.I folding shovel, or one of those nifty Spetznaz deals.
    9. A good hatchet.
    10. A good hickory or bamboo cane pole. You can fish and whoop some tail with it.

As far as AK's, AR's, FAL's, HK-91's, or M1A1's. I see them more as camp or bunker defense than something I would want to carry hunting or scouting about. In a situation were I am moving I don't won't to keep up with clanky and bulky mags. To much weight and bulkiness concentrated in one area. I feel as through 100 rounds on 10 stripper clips stuck in coat, and pants pockets would not be so cumbersome.

It would make climbing, moving, hunting and swimming much easier. Plus with the SKS you could flip up the bayonet and have a defensive close range weapon..which would work great with aggressive dogs, or situations where you need restraint. Like all Soviet style weapons...the front sight post, buttstock, internal mag can all be used as weapons.

Ruger 10/22 Yes, I know it has detachable mags, but for small game, and light defense it would make a a good choice...I would just prefer 10 round mags...as to keep from having something hanging out of the weapon. Makes shooting prone easier, and its less likely to get caught on brush.

Winchester Model 1200...any decent pump will work for hunting or defense. I just like my Winchesters.

Now with the bows I will say that I prefer a good quality longbow with a recurve coming in second. The reason why I would take a traditional bow over a more modern compound...is that you can achieve a greater rate of fire, and snap shooting with these over a compound...and obviously a compound has more moving parts, and requires more maintenance. If I have to...I know how to make arrows for a traditional bow.

The Ka-Bar....really any decent carbon steel knife with a strong tang will work. I have to admit that this was a toss up between the Ka-Bar and the old Ontario Air Force Pilots Knife. I have owned both for years and abused both in the woods and on the farm. Either one will deliver. In fact the Ontario pilots knife has always been one of my favorite tools one the farm. Just for testing purposes one time I cut a old truck tire off a old rim I had with the Ontario. Dulled the blade but it got the job done. The Ka-bar would be better in a self defense situation.

The Mosin 91/30 is accurate, and like the SKS can be turned into a pike...LOL. Really any good bolt action is nice to have around. Whether it is a Mosin, Remington BDL, Winchester Model 70, Enfield, Mauser, or even a MAS 36.

A good shovel is not bad. Either the Spetznaz or US GI copies or models will work. But, really you can go get a full size shovel at a hardware store and saw off the handle and make a cover for it.

Any decent hatchet...it doesn't have to be one of those new tactical batman hatchets...just a decent chopping hatchet, for chopping and hammering.

The most important thing.....a good Cane Pole. Nothing with a reel (unnecessary moving parts), just something that you can do some light fishing with...and in case you have to...whoop something's tail with if they try to steal your fish.

Also a decent folder doesn't hurt to have. As far as handguns go...a .22 Ruger MK II in a survival situation would be all I would want. Don't get me wrong high end semi-auto's and big bore revolvers are nice to have.

Anyway....what is everyone elses take on essential weapons/tools?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Things missing from my supplies include food stores and a method of manually operating my well.

weapons:

SAR-1
    XD-9
    Mossberg 590
    Buck 119
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Insect repellant.
    Nothing quite as annoying as being eaten alive by tiny mosquitos out in the forest...even in the middle of the day

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Claritin for poison ivy relief w/o making you a date rape prospect. Bleach for water purification.

Vz. 58 with folding stock. One mag, bunch of stripper clips, portable, powerful, light.

Folding pruning saw for making quick work of green branches, more practical than wire saws, quieter than hatchets or chainsaws.

Lots of iodized salt, food seasoning/preservation, disinfectant and trade good.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 09-12-2012 at 07:57 AM.

I don’t like the idea of the SKS. The AK is just as accurate, if not more than the SKS. Its mags are well made, cheap, and offer far more protection to the ammo than clips. Also any AK mag carry system you run should make little to no noise, even if it’s just your jeans pockets. The mag can be used as a weapon too, I have seen people do push ups on their gun with the mag being the only part of the gun touching the ground. I’m not sure if the AK is lighter, but it is much simpler to breakdown and clean.

All that said, the Mosin would be the better land hunter. For what you seem to want, the M44 version might be what you should look into. Remember to have on hand some way to deal with the corrosive ammo, like Windex.

The Ka-Bar is a nice knife, but if its one with a leather handle/sheath be careful. Out in the mess, synthetic is the way to go. I really like the greenish colored “utility knife” they had awhile back. My fixed blade is a SOG Govtac by the way.

was_peacemaker
    I know this is an old thread...but I thought I would bring it back up.

The AK is great don't get me wrong...but I would leave it in a camp or a bunker for defensive purposes. I think I can move around a lot better with a SKS because on stripper clips I can pack them around my body easier in a bandolier or military jacket. Since I quit regular cigarettes and switched to the electric...I have about gotten my high school era speed back. And I can move and groove a lot quicker with an SKS and stripper clips spread out across my body than I can with AK mags weighted down in one area. In combat boots I am pretty sure I can hit a 40 yard dash in less than 5 secs. At one time I could do about 4.6-4.8. But different strokes for different folks you know. I am looking at capitalizing on my speed in the woods. If you can haul tail in the brush...your a hard target to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

Buck 119
    No no no. Buck 184 is for REAL SHTF situations.

OK seriously, here we go again. If legal in your state, I highly recommend a good silencer or two.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I like a heavy blade machete in place of a hatchet...

An AK or Galil in .223. If on the move, AKM in .223 is my choice; lighter and lighter ammo.

I'm NOT carrying three long guns with ammo... period.

A folding stock 10/22 might be OK, especially with a carbon fiber barrel. My .22 pistol might work too...

I'm basically a bug in set up except when traveling for work.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

I'm basically a bug in set up except when traveling for work.
    Agreed, I think bugging in is a much more practical thing to plan for. As it is I'm already too old to try and hit the road with gear. I'm only about halfway prepped to where I'd feel comfortable. AND, to make that worse, I think I'm the destination point for a lot of family that WILL be bugging out.

I know my place is... Most will show up equipped, but not supplied... I need to put up several more food grade pails of beans and rice. I'm running out of climate controlled space though.

All anyone needs is an adaptor to mount an m14 bayonet onto a glock.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    No no no. Buck 184 is for REAL SHTF situations.

OK seriously, here we go again. If legal in your state, I highly recommend a good silencer or two.

You mean like this?

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I like a tomahawk myself.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'd take a good, tempered, spring-steel machete over a hatchet. 99% of the limb, small tree cutting I do around here is done with a machete. The absolute best one I have I got at a flea market for $2. The wooden handle is duct taped on (the rivets are loose) and it's made of spring steel. I've only had to sharpen it once in 5 years and it'll slice through anything I've used it on. I don't know who made it, but it's made to last and do hard labor.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Best bet for a first gun for prepping would have to be a 12ga breakdown. Cheap, good for small game, slugs for big game/defense, double ought for defense/game, plus you can buy adapters that drop in for pistol and rifle calibers, so you can also shoot side arm ammo or something like .22 that can be found about anywhere. Ammo is cheap (100 rounds seven shot for about $30) and everywhere. Obviously rate of fire is not spectacular, but with practice, it can be formidable. I certainly like the SK, AK, AR and Mosin and own them all, but to get started, a wise investment would be a little New England 12ga with the Mosin M44 a close second.

A good heavy machete is hard to beat, but hawks are just sooooo cool. My SOG govtac is a sexy beast though.

Powdered pool shock is the way to go on water disinfection. Liquid bleach only lasts about a year and starts to breakdown, but the powder stuff lasts as long as it stays dry. It can be dissolved in concentrated batches comparable to bleach and stored for short term or bartered to people who need it.

I think this settles the whole "hatchet vs. machete" debate:

The Woodman's Pal is the best of both worlds, and then some.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post

That should work great in the Zombie Apocolypse!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Re: Lets talk survival/shtf weaponry.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    You mean like this?

I guess that buck knife is no longer in production?
    Last edited by AKTexas; 05-01-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post

Works for me... Need to put it on the "I want" list...

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I guess that buck knife is no longer in production?
    Discontinued in 1997. The one I have was made in 1986.

I only let it get wet for that picture. Its oiled up again and back in my knife collection.

Unfortunately it was my first carbon steel knife, and developed some surface rust about a decade ago. I cleaned it up but it left some pitting on one side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast