Thread: Hunting Squirrel This Weekend

Hunting Squirrel This Weekend

After the heavy rain we had Tuesday and Wednesday, I'm headed to the woods to squirrel hunt. With all the rain we've had this summer, the masts are abundant. I've seen signs of those rascals cutting and I need to get a few before they get too fat, LOL.

Yeah, Right!!!!
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Ahhhh good times. I started shooting with Gramps' tutelage while squirrel hunting.....dang I miss those days.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I love sitting under a big Hickory tree and take in all of nature while waiting for Mr. squirrel.The only problem there is I tend to fall asleep then be awakened by the sound if a Hickory nut hitting the leaves on the ground.
    I tell you, it doesn't get better than that.

I love hunting.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I am going quail hunting this weekend. Since there are no quail where we are hunting, we are going to buy 30 birds and put them out there. We did that with some pheasants last weekend. Hopefully the ones we do not get will decide they want to stick around there new digs so they eventually can create a wild polulation.

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    I am going quail hunting this weekend. Since there are no quail where we are hunting, we are going to buy 30 birds and put them out there. We did that with some pheasants last weekend. Hopefully the ones we do not get will decide they want to stick around there new digs so they eventually can create a wild polulation.
    My neighbor raised 50 Pheasants and released them last year. I've seen only one in an open field a couple miles from the release point. With all the coyotes here, I figure a majority will be eaten by them. Beautiful birds.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

That is what we are worried about. Going to try and keep the predator population down as much as we can

I don't expect the area to be full of birds, but it would be nice if a few stuck around. I think it is perfect pheasant habitat.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    After the heavy rain we had Tuesday and Wednesday, I'm headed to the woods to squirrel hunt. With all the rain we've had this summer, the masts are abundant. I've seen signs of those rascals cutting and I need to get a few before they get too fat, LOL.

Yeah, Right!!!!
    Good luck with it Slammy. Like your area the oak and hickory trees have put a ton of nuts on this year. Since you got some rain that should help a lot with getting close to the squirrels. Here the leaves are dry and crunchy, you have to hunker down and wait for the squirrels to forget you were there.

So, you using a shot gun or .22? How do you dress when squirrel hunting? You use a bark call?
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Good luck with it Slammy. Like your area the oak and hickory trees have put a ton of nuts on this year. Since you got some rain that should help a lot with getting close to the squirrels. Here the leaves are dry and crunchy, you have to hunker down and wait for the squirrels to forget you were there.

So, you using a shot gun or .22? How do you dress when squirrel hunting? You use a bark call?
    The rain did 2 things. It knocked a majority of the leaves left in the trees off, and as you said, keeps the crunch down.

I'm shooting an old Marlin bolt with a 3-9x40 scope and Remington HPs. I don't use a call since I'm no good at it and I just love to sit and wait. The wait is never too long.

After getting back home, I skin and gut them, then when cooking them, I pare-boil then batter like chicken and fry.

Not much meat, but what is there is yummy.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

The rain did 2 things. It knocked a majority of the leaves left in the trees off, and as you said, keeps the crunch down.

I'm shooting an old Marlin bolt with a 3-9x40 scope and Remington HPs. I don't use a call since I'm no good at it and I just love to sit and wait. The wait is never too long.

After getting back home, I skin and gut them, then when cooking them, I pare-boil then batter like chicken and fry.

Not much meat, but what is there is yummy.
    Sounds real similar to my squirrel rig. Yeah, if you can't sit quiet and wait on em, it makes getting very many almost impossible. That's the main thing I'm trying to teach my son. He'll figure it out eventually.

Again, good luck.

Oh hey, what's your daily limit on squirrels in Tennessee? Here in Missouri it's 10 per day on gray squirrels, and I think 4 on fox squirrels.
    Returns June 3rd.

Sounds real similar to my squirrel rig. Yeah, if you can't sit quiet and wait on em, it makes getting very many almost impossible. That's the main thing I'm trying to teach my son. He'll figure it out eventually.

Again, good luck.

Oh hey, what's your daily limit on squirrels in Tennessee? Here in Missouri it's 10 per day on gray squirrels, and I think 4 on fox squirrels.

He'll catch on as time goes by. I'm glad you're teaching him to hunt. Every father should.

Limit on squirrels is 10 per day (gray, red, or fox)

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

He'll catch on as time goes by. I'm glad you're teaching him to hunt. Every father should.

Limit on squirrels is 10 per day (gray, red, or fox)
    I wish we had more fox squirrels, I've seen two this year. Grey's are abundant, the others not so much.
    Returns June 3rd.

I wish we had more fox squirrels, I've seen two this year. Grey's are abundant, the others not so much.

I see more grays now than ever. Reds not so much.
    I've seen more road kills of reds this years than ever.

Weird that you see different species of wildlife killed by cars in groups. One week I may see 10 possums dead on the side of the road, the next it's coons (rac variety) and another it's skunks.
    I'm thinking there's a group meeting of different species, and they decide who's gonna commit suicide.
    Seriously, it is weird how many of one species dies during a given period of time.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

That the statewide limit? My grandparents live in NE MO and last I went limit was 6 per day (I think) and I don't remember it being different for grays or foxes. In Gramp's neck of the woods they're almost pretty even numbers. I'll have to give gramps a call.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I love sitting under a big Hickory tree and take in all of nature while waiting for Mr. squirrel.The only problem there is I tend to fall asleep then be awakened by the sound if a Hickory nut hitting the leaves on the ground.
    I tell you, it doesn't get better than that.
    I love hunting.
    Sounds as if we have the same problem! Gettin out there before it's light, dozing until they start to run, they don't know I'm there - - until I open up on them!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    That the statewide limit? My grandparents live in NE MO and last I went limit was 6 per day (I think) and I don't remember it being different for grays or foxes. In Gramp's neck of the woods they're almost pretty even numbers. I'll have to give gramps a call.
    Newbie - I seem to recall that in MO the daily was 6 with a total of 12. Here in IL it is 5 & 10.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Well crap!
    My squirrel hunt for today has been put on the back burner.
    I need to winterize the house. These past couple of 20 degree nights have pinpointed a few things that need to be done.
    Plus a buddy is coming over this afternoon to help me build a portable ground blind. I've really wanted one for a while to hunt coyotes and occasional deer from.

Heck, I have all week to hunt Mr. Squirrel.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    I just rechecked it, it's 10 per day on all types.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Newbie - I seem to recall that in MO the daily was 6 with a total of 12. Here in IL it is 5 & 10.
    Gotcha. That's what I thought MO was but Jefferson has now updated us both . I have yet to squirrel hunt here in IL which is both sad and weird. Weird only for the fact I've lived in IL most of my life......all my squirrel hunting has been with Gramps in MO.