Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Okay Krupski or other knowing people answer this please

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    You're missing the part that the wheels DO NOT move the plane. All they do is act as roller bearings to remove any friction the plane otherwise would have with the runway.

The thing that moves the plane is the thrust of the engines, whether in the air or on the run way.

Or look at it this way. If your car runs out of gas and you have to put it in neutral and push it off the highway, where does the power to move the car come from? You, are the power pushing the car.
    In a plane there is never any power to the wheels. The thrust is added to the whole plane, not the wheels. The wheels are just roller bearrings to allow the plane to move around on solid ground with greatly reduced friction. They work much better than trying to slide a 747 on its belly down the run way.

If you have a pair of roller skates sitting in the closet, they just sit there as nothing powers the wheels. Put them on and you become the power to move the skates.
    Climbed up on a regular treadmill and you can roller skate to your hearts content.

True, if you set the treadmill to match your normal speed of skating, you will remain stationary to your coach standing beside you, but if he reaches over and speeds it up, you get dumped off the back. If he slows it down you skate off the front.
    Try all that just scuffing your feet along the treadmill without skates. The skates are the roller bearings that removes the friction between you and the treadmill, nothing more. They have no more power on their own than the planes wheels do.

"But wait!", you reply, "you said that if the treadmill matched my speed, I would remain stationary?" Yes I did, but that is because you need something to push against to make yourself go forward on skates. That something is turning your feet sideways and using the friction of the skate wheels against the surface to push forward. Without that ability to push off, you couldn't skate.
    In this scenario, the treadmill works against how fast you can keep pushing off, or skating we call it.

In a plane, no work at all has to be applied to the wheels. All the work is applied to the plane and the wheels just free wheel down the treadmill. The same if you are on skates, just staying stationary with your coach and somebody comes along and gives you a push, a thrust that moves you up a little on the treadmill, even tho the turning of the treadmill and your skate wheels remained the same. To
    Last edited by N/A; 08-30-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I know the wheels have have nothing to do with moving the plane. Thrust moves the plane. All the wheels do is reduce friction of the plane on the runway. Like you said, it's better than trying to slide the belly of the plane across the runway.

But, the wheels do increase their speed as the thrust forces the plane to move faster. As the wheels turn faster, so does the treadmill.

As the wheels move faster because of the applied thrust to the plane, the treadmill moves faster in response to the wheel speed.

Since the plane must move down the runway to build air pressure on the wings, the wheels allow this to be done easier. However, if the ground (treadmill) is moving at the same speed and in the opposite direction at the same time, doesn't this cause the plane to remain stationary?

Doesn't this negate any movement forward of the plane through the air?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    You're missing the part that the wheels DO NOT move the plane. All they do is act as roller bearings to remove any friction the plane otherwise would have with the runway.

The thing that moves the plane is the thrust of the engines, whether in the air or on the run way.

Or look at it this way. If your car runs out of gas and you have to put it in neutral and push it off the highway, where does the power to move the car come from? You, are the power pushing the car.
    In a plane there is never any power to the wheels. The thrust is added to the whole plane, not the wheels. The wheels are just roller bearrings to allow the plane to move around on solid ground with greatly reduced friction. They work much better than trying to slide a 747 on its belly down the run way.

If you have a pair of roller skates sitting in the closet, they just sit there as nothing powers the wheels. Put them on and you become the power to move the skates.
    Climbed up on a regular treadmill and you can roller skate to your hearts content.

True, if you set the treadmill to match your normal speed of skating, you will remain stationary to your coach standing beside you, but if he reaches over and speeds it up, you get dumped off the back. If he slows it down you skate off the front.
    Try all that just scuffing your feet along the treadmill without skates. The skates are the roller bearings that removes the friction between you and the treadmill, nothing more. They have no more power on their own than the planes wheels do.

"But wait!", you reply, "you said that if the treadmill matched my speed, I would remain stationary?" Yes I did, but that is because you need something to push against to make yourself go forward on skates. That something is turning your feet sideways and using the friction of the skate wheels against the surface to push forward. Without that ability to push off, you couldn't skate.
    In this scenario, the treadmill works against how fast you can keep pushing off, or skating we call it.

In a plane, no work at all has to be applied to the wheels. All the work is applied to the plane and the wheels just free wheel down the treadmill. The same if you are on skates, just staying stationary with your coach and somebody comes along and gives you a push, a thrust that moves you up a little on the treadmill, even tho the turning of the treadmill and your skate wheels remained the same. To
    I think I'm starting to get what you're saying about the wheels.

If I'm understanding you and Krupski correctly, the wheels and treadmill have absolutely nothing to do with the plane gaining takeoff speed.

The treadmill and wheels are diversions to seeing what's actually happening with the plane. They have no action on the plane, at all.

The plane will take off just as it normally does if it weren't on a treadmill, but on a regular runway.

Right?

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Not the way I see it. The wheels act like the gears on the rear differential of a car that allows one wheel to turn faster in a turn. The gears isolate the speed of one wheel from the other.
    The wheels on a plane isolate the plane from the surface speed so it can go faster than the treadmill.

I wish I knew a good way to explan it to you. If I was Spock, I could give you the Vulcan Mindmeld ...but alas, I didn't serve with Spock, Spock is not a friend of mine, so I'm no Mr. Spock.

I promise you, if you are sitting on a treadmill like that in a plane, and the Tommy Knockers are coming, give that plane all the power it has and it will take off.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I think I'm starting to get what you're saying about the wheels.

If I'm understanding you and Krupski correctly, the wheels and treadmill have absolutely nothing to do with the plane gaining takeoff speed.

The treadmill and wheels are diversions to seeing what's actually happening with the plane. They have no action on the plane, at all.

The plane will take off just as it normally does if it weren't on a treadmill, but on a regular runway.

Right?
    Right!

You posted this while I was typing the above and didn't see it till just now.
    You're right, it's like magic, focus on the diversion and don't see what the plane is really doing?

Right!

You posted this while I was typing the above and didn't see it till just now.
    You're right, it's like magic, focus on the diversion and don't see what the plane is really doing?
    Yup. You need lift and thrust to make a plane fly. The wheels and treadmill don't affect the forces that cause a plane to fly, therefore, the plane will fly.

I went wrong when I tried to figure how the wheels were being affected by the treadmill. They had nothing to do with the actual take off and flying.

Got it now. Thanks.

Freedom isn't free.

Here's something I thought of last night trying to fall of asleep. If the tradmill effected the plane as some suggest, and kept it from moving at all .....what would happen to the jet if it came in for a landing on the tradmill?
    Would the moment the wheels touch the treadmill bring it to a screeching halt at the place it first touches down?

Can you imagine a plane that weighs sevearl thousands of pounds landing at 200 knots coming to an instantaneous stop?
    At the best, I could see all the people come squirting out the cockpit windshield like shelling peas out of a pod.
    At worst.......??????

Gatta have lift to get off the ground (airflow over the wings) and thrust to move.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Gatta have lift to get off the ground (airflow over the wings) and thrust to move.
    That's a given.
    And?

Setting a plane on a giant treadmill isn't going to get it into the air?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

The thrust of the jet engines is against the surrounding air, not the treadmill. As N/A made clear to me the wheels are simply roller bearings. Newton’s third law says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Since the force is the thrust exiting the back of the jet engine the opposite reaction is a force against the entire jet propelling it forward. If it stood still that would violate Newton’s third law.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Setting a plane on a giant treadmill isn't going to get it into the air?
    Setting a plane on a runway or a treadmill isn't going to make a difference about getting it in the air ......anymore than landing one on a runway or treadmill is going to make a difference in getting it to land normally.

Setting a plane on a runway or a treadmill isn't going to make a difference about getting it in the air ......anymore than landing one on a runway or treadmill is going to make a difference in getting it to land normally.
    What if the pilot runs backwards (from the pilot's seat to the tail)?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    If he was really, really fat the plane's nose would lift up and the plane couldn't take off. I learned everything i know about physics from watching Wiley Coyote and the roadrunner cartoons
    Last edited by davepool; 09-02-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    ˇʎןqıssod

It doesn't matter WHAT the wheels or treadmill are doing. As long as the THRUST from the jet's engines is EQUALIZED (or neutralized) by the treadmill, the jet is unable to fly regardless of the amount of thrust the engines generate as the WINGS remain motionless !! With no forward motion of the wings relative to the ground, there is NO AIRFLOW over & under the wings, thus there is NO LIFT to fly the plane.
    If the plane moves forward FASTER than the treadmill is going backwards, flight is still possible IF there is enough length to reach the 150-175 knots for take-off. BUT, with most runways in airports being about 10,000 feet long now, that treadmill runway would have to be incredibly long to allow for the longer amount of time for the plane to reach flight speed.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    It doesn't matter WHAT the wheels or treadmill are doing. As long as the THRUST from the jet's engines is EQUALIZED (or neutralized) by the treadmill, the jet is unable to fly regardless of the amount of thrust the engines generate as the WINGS remain motionless !! With no forward motion of the wings relative to the ground, there is NO AIRFLOW over & under the wings, thus there is NO LIFT to fly the plane.
    If the plane moves forward FASTER than the treadmill is going backwards, flight is still possible IF there is enough length to reach the 150-175 knots for take-off. BUT, with most runways in airports being about 10,000 feet long now, that treadmill runway would have to be incredibly long to allow for the longer amount of time for the plane to reach flight speed.
    what happens if you take a toy airplane that has wheels, with your hand, and hold the wheels against a moving treadmill? How much effort do you have to exert to hold the airplane still? Now how much effort do you have to exert to move the airplane opposite the direction the treadmill is moving?

Agreed 100%
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    what happens if you take a toy airplane that has wheels, with your hand, and hold the wheels against a moving treadmill? How much effort do you have to exert to hold the airplane still? Now how much effort do you have to exert to move the airplane opposite the direction the treadmill is moving?
    It takes almost no effort to hold the wheels of a toy against the moving treadmill, just slightly more than the treadmill is exerting because you are holding the plan against the belt as well as against the motion of the belt.
    If you want to move the model in the opposite direction of the belt, it takes more energy as long as you hold it on the belt. If you hold the model ABOVE the belt, the energy needed to hold it up is equal to gravity's force pulling it down.
    Planes fly based on the speed of the air flowing both OVER and UNDER their wings. No air motion, NO FLYING. What the planes tires and the treadmill are doing are irrelevant. It is all about the air and the wings. That's why planes have to have a certain speed of forward motion to get off the ground. Each plane is different, from single engine Cessnas to multi-engine jets.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast