Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Musings of an old man....

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    As for space, if one can't explain what space is, what that empty void consists of, then how can one say it can be warped or folded?

The same with time. What is time exactly? What is time made of?

If you don't know what space or time is made of, then how can one say the two can be combined together into space-time? Is it just a fancy thought to explain what we really can't explain?

The visible effects of gravity (gravitational lensing, the fact that the sun occults stars at a slightly different time than it should and the anomalies in Mercury's observed orbit) prove that "space" can be and is "warped" by gravity.

The fact that two synchronized clocks will differ in time if one is on the ground and the other is in orbit proves that relativity exists. In fact, GPS satellites have to correct their onboard clocks to cancel this effect!

And, I think all this will ultimately lead us to figuring out how to do interstellar (i.e FTL) spaceflight.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    The visible effects of gravity (gravitational lensing, the fact that the sun occults stars at a slightly different time than it should and the anomalies in Mercury's observed orbit) prove that "space" can be and is "warped" by gravity.

The fact that two synchronized clocks will differ in time if one is on the ground and the other is in orbit proves that relativity exists. In fact, GPS satellites have to correct their onboard clocks to cancel this effect!

And, I think all this will ultimately lead us to figuring out how to do interstellar (i.e FTL) spaceflight.
    Yes, but is light traveling thru an empty space and bent from its path by gravity, or is space an actual medium that can be warped? Light travels in a straight line untill it enters water and is slowed and deflected in a new direction. When it exits water, it t regains it's speed and again changes direction.
    For space to be warped, it has to consist of something. As I've asked before, what if that something is a third form of matter? We can call that third form anything, but what if that third form is gravity? What if "space" is a very thin soup, that has bits of various sizes of solid mass embedded in it, I.e. stars, planets, et cetera?

What if mass is just gravity that has condensed to mass, and that the soup of gravity is just thicker around solid mass? And as water is thicker than air, and can deflect the direction light travels, what if a dense enough thickening of that soup around a star or galaxy, could deflect the direction light travels, much like water does?

Then, you would have a theory that explains what "space" is, but also how "space/gravity" bends light.

Time on the other hand, is nothing more than the comparing two actions against one another. Time difference is only changed by changing of circumstances of those two actions against each other. "Time", itself, remains constant across the universe. But changing the circumstances of the two actions, changes the "time" it takes the actions to occur. It doesn't change basic "time" itself.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

As for space, if one can't explain what space is, what that empty void consists of, then how can one say it can be warped or folded?

The same with time. What is time exactly? What is time made of?

If you don't know what space or time is made of, then how can one say the two can be combined together into space-time? Is it just a fancy thought to explain what we really can't explain?
    Best explanations for those questions are given here: The video answers all of those questions (as well as anyone can answer them, that is). The video explains why time is so hard to define.

"Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Sorry, Alismith, I was going to watch the video, but the only internet connection I have is a monthly go phone with AT&T, and that video looked to be quite long. It would have taken forever to get thru it.

Wish I could see it and respond for you.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Sorry, Alismith, I was going to watch the video, but the only internet connection I have is a monthly go phone with AT&T, and that video looked to be quite long. It would have taken forever to get thru it.

Wish I could see it and respond for you.
    Is there a library near you? Most of them have internet and computers you could use. It's well worth the effort. Gives you a lot to think about.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Came across this info tonight while piddling on the net.

During July, especially on July 19th, all the planets in the solar system will be on the same side of the sun. Spread out, but on the same side.

Well, seeing as I can't watch a long video explaining what someone else thinks time is, I may as well go ahead and post my own thoughts.
    First, though, we will need a prop for demonstration purposes. A nice young lady would make a great prop, but we actually need the P-51 in the background. While the aircraft itself makes a nice prop, I actually want to use the prop on the front of the aircraft as my prop. And to add to that, I want to use the tip of one prop on the prop on the prop as my basic prop.

So now, we have a P-51, with a 4 bladed prop. Not knowing the actual size of the 4 bladed prop, let's just give it a diameter of 6 feet.
    Now, what I'm mainly interested is just the tip of one blade, and the distance it travels in one revolution, which would be the circumference of a circle with a 6 foot diameter.

6 X 3.1415.... = 18.85 feet.

Now, let's start that bad boy up, and rev that motor up to 3600 RPM. What I'm interested in is RPSeconds, so divide 3600 RPM by 60 seconds, and we have that prop turning at 60 RPS. So now I'm interested in finding out how far the tip of the blade travels in one second.

At 18.85 feet per revolution X 60 RPS = 1131 feet the tip has traveled. This, while the aircraft is stationary. If we put the aircraft into the air, moving at 360 MPH, will we find a change in any of these figures?

At 360 MPH, the aircraft is traveling at 360MPH ÷ 60 minutes = 6 miles a minute.
    At 6 MPM, the aircraft is traveling at 6MPM ÷ 60 seconds = 0.1 mile per second.
    0.1 mile = 528 feet per second.

So now, we have the tip of the blade moving at 1131 feet in one second, but also moving forward at 528 feet per second. Does that forward movement (speed), affect the tip of the blade and the distance it travels in one second?

Actually, it does. The tip of the blade is not just describing the circumference of a 6 foot circle, it is also describing the distance traveled forward. How? The tip is now describing a corkscrew path thru a distance, much like the threads on a screw.

As the threads on a screw are longer in going around the circumference of the screw shaft than just a ridge that just goes around the shaft flat wise, then the length of travel of the blade tip is longer at 528 FPS than while stationary. And, like the threads on a screw getting coarser, and becoming longer in one circumference when stretched out, so does the corkscrew path of the blade tip as its velocity increase. The faster its velocity, the more distance it covers in one second, and thus lengthens the corkscrew path of the tip.

What does this mean in our discussion of time? While sitting stationary, the blade tip is traveling at 18.85 feet per revolution @ 60RPS = 1131 total feet traveled. Launch that aircraft @ 528 FPS (360 MPH), the blade tip has to travel a longer, corkscrew path in one second. That longer corkscrew path adds the 528 feet traveled to the 1131 feet traveled if just sitting stationary. That is 1131 feet + 528 feet = 1659 total feet of travel. But that 1659 was supposedly done at 60RPS. So, divide 1659 feet by 60 RPS = 27.65 feet per revolution.

Now, that blade tip can only travel at 18.85 Feet normally to make one revolution. But at a velocity of 528 FPS, it has to travel a 27.65 foot path to make one revolution. So, when a stationary tip has traveled 18.85 feet and completed one revolution, the tip a velocity only traveled at 18.85 feet also, but yet has not yet traveled far enough to complete a revolution. Thus, the pilot might think, "Man, on the tarmac I was getting so many RPS, but flying certainly seemed to cut the number of RPS I'm getting. Gee, when I'm flying, it takes longer to get one revolution. Gee, the only explanation is that time has slowed down."

But that's BS. Time hasn't changed at all. What has changed from stationary to moving is the distance over which an action has occurred. The blade tip while stationary could complete a revolution in 18.85 feet of travel. But when moving, the corkscrew path makes a longer distance to travel. The blade tip is moving at the same speed whether stationary or moving. When the blade tip moves 18.85 feet and makes a revolution while stationary, while flying it has moved the same 18.85 feet at the same time, but is only part way thru a longer path to a full revolution.

Has time slowed down? No, only the distance over which an action occurs has been increased because of adding velocity.
    Last edited by N/A; 07-15-2018 at 03:24 PM.

This meme seems to be a cute little play on King Solomon's famous decision to split a baby in half...yet, therein lies a kernel of truth and an all but forgotten story.

In Solomon's time, the splitting the baby decision to find the true mother was hailed as the wisest decision ever made. It cemented his reputation as a wise and honest King, and he was not one to forget great things he did.

Now, it's been thought that one of the greatest things to own in Solomon's time was an atom. Not a clump of atoms, not even a few molecules, but a single atom. Now atoms make up everything, and you can find them by the billions, but it is almost impossible to find single atoms, unattached to other atoms.
    Solomon, of course, owned an atom amongst all his other richest. In fact, the atom was considered more valuable and rare than all his Empire.

Now, as want to do, it came to pass that a certain woman came into possession of a double atom. While rare on its own, it in no way compared to a single atom. As the woman quietly went about seeking advice on how one could turn this double atom into wealth, her best friend heard of her good fortune.

BFF or not, the woman refused to share her good fortune, which caused her best friend to turn cold and bitter and vow to have the double atom for herself. Thus, she began to go about the town accessing the woman of having stolen it from her in the first place. Within a fortnight's time, the town's people were up in arms about who owned the double atom. The head priest of the town finally declared that the two women would be taken before Solomon for him to render a royal decision on the matter; such was his wisdom and honesty so honored in the nation.

When Solomon heard the case presented to him, he harkened back to his younger years and the other two women he had sat in judgement over. That case had cemented his fame, and he determined that he could use it again to show he was, indeed, the wisest in the land. Thus he called forth his most esteemed scientist. Now the Israelites were renowned for their noble work in the scientific community.

Solomon called forth the most eminent court scholar, and commanded him to break the double atom in half and give one atom to each woman. There was silence in the room, and then loud agreement arose from the gathered crowd...except from the court scholar.

"If it pleases my Lord, but no one knows how to accomplish such a task!"

Silence filled the court. After a moment's thought, Solomon had an answer. The scholar was tasked with the sole duty to study and find a way to break the double atom. If he could not do it in his life time, the task would be handed down thru his family lineage until the answer was found. The resulting broken atoms would go to each woman or her descendants.

As is want to happen with women, after a few weeks they became impatient and began to gripe at the delay. They finally became so bad, that Solomon decreed that the women and their families were banished to a far off land.

Thus, time passed, the problem went unsolved, and the matter passed from the memory of all, but the family tasked to find an answer.

Centuries later, one of the descendants came up with an idea as to how the problem could be solved. Many wise men of the Israelites came together to devise the method. It took many years of work, but finally they were ready to deliver the separated atoms to the familie.
    The secret to where the families were sent by Solomon was brought forth, and preparations were made.

On a late Summer morning, one of the strongest bird in the world was given to deliver the atoms to the far off land. As the bird approached the families, it released its grip on the atoms, and as they fell, the two atoms broke into and gained the brilliance of the sun.

Thus, King Solomon's decree to "Split the double atom." was fulfilled.
    Last edited by N/A; 07-25-2018 at 07:37 PM.

I saw a show that used the concept of space trains to explain relativity. Nothing is stationary. Every observed point of view will differ due to the speed and position of the observer.

True, people see things different from different perspective. If they see the very same thing happen, but see it happen in two different ways, gave they really seen the one thing become two things?

If two planets are in a void in space, one traveling at .6 C and the other traveling at .7 C straight at each other, would not an observer on each planet (with no reference that they were the one moving), see the other planet approaching at 1.3 C while they were stationary theirself?
    Does that mean an object can travel faster than light because relative to each other it appears that way?

If you take one action, and change the speed and position of several different observers, does their divergent views change the action, or does it just change their view points one from another? The action stays as it was...the observers change.

If you take one action in this universe and say that just how it's viewed changing it to another different action, what you are really saying is that each different view creates its own universe within our universe. That isn't true. Just seeing the exact one thing from two perspectives doesn't create new things. If it did, we would have faster than light speed.

ETA: Now, you can say that with the two planets, they are in their own universe. That example of a universe exist with only two laws...matter exist and matter moves. In this relativistic universe, we do not consider gravity existing, quantum physics existing, or anything else. Just matter moving relative to each other in a narrowly defined universe.
    It would be the same in any thought experiment. You are setting up relativity within a very narrow universe/circumstance.
    What one would see is just viewpoint of what is happening in the universe as a whole. One might compare it to eye witnesses seeing the same crime, but giving contradictory testimony.
    Last edited by N/A; 07-28-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Yes, I do understand quantum physics. I might mathematically step from my front porch onto the surface of the Sun. There are a billion variables that will determine the outcome of the events. I tend to enjoy the outcome of the current events.

If you could do that, you will have invented a "star gate", so to speak. But, at the moment, that is a little beyond what I'm talking about...I.e. observed mass, it's motion and velocity, and time. I working over in my mind if some of the Ideas of relativity introduce the right variables and pick the wrong variables as the conclusion. Let's stick with trains for a moment.

There is a passenger train sitting at a station. In one car, a man with a tennis ball sits looking out the window. There is a man standing on the platform right outside that window watching the man. The man on the train leans out the window and drops the tennis ball. The ball drops straight down, hits the ground and bounces straight up to the man.

Both men see the same thing, even from different perspectives. Then the man on the platform walks a half mile down the track and waits for the train to come by.

The train leaves the station and gains speed. As it approaches the man beside the tracks, the man again leans out the window and drops the ball. The man beside the tracks sees the ball drop to the ground, but not straight down. Because it is now moving, it bounces along a "V" shaped path. The man on the train sees the ball fall straight down and back straight back up. He also sees something. The point on the ground where he released the ball is now behind him, and the ball hits a difference point on the ground. Then as he catches it on the rebound, he is yet above a different point of ground. Does he wonder how this can be, if in both instances he sees the ball go straight down? Well, not if he thinks about it. While stationary, he saw the ground stationary. The ground being statonary is the defining frame of reference for both men.

For the man to see the ground moving, and knowing ground is stationary, he would thus deduce that he was moving over the stationary reference, and could then deduce the ball moved in the same "V" path the other man saw.

The only way to change this, is to put the man in an enclosed box on the train. Then as the train is sitting stationary, he drops the ball straight down and it comes straight back up. Then accelerate the train. The man, enclosed in the box, sees only the box, thus when he drops the ball he sees it hit the same spot on the floor. His frame of reference is that he must be stationary in both instances. He can then only deduce what happens in a stationary frame of reference.

The man on the platform, unable to see inside the box, has no frame of reference to see what goes on in the box. Thus, he doesn't know if the man is even inside the box to start with, so can not make any deductions at all about the ball.

Well, seeing as I can't watch a long video explaining what someone else thinks time is, I may as well go ahead and post my own thoughts.
    First, though, we will need a prop for demonstration purposes. A nice young lady would make a great prop, but we actually need the P-51 in the background. While the aircraft itself makes a nice prop, I actually want to use the prop on the front of the aircraft as my prop. And to add to that, I want to use the tip of one prop on the prop on the prop as my basic prop.

So now, we have a P-51, with a 4 bladed prop. Not knowing the actual size of the 4 bladed prop, let's just give it a diameter of 6 feet.
    Now, what I'm mainly interested is just the tip of one blade, and the distance it travels in one revolution, which would be the circumference of a circle with a 6 foot diameter.

6 X 3.1415.... = 18.85 feet.

Now, let's start that bad boy up, and rev that motor up to 3600 RPM. What I'm interested in is RPSeconds, so divide 3600 RPM by 60 seconds, and we have that prop turning at 60 RPS. So now I'm interested in finding out how far the tip of the blade travels in one second.

At 18.85 feet per revolution X 60 RPS = 1131 feet the tip has traveled. This, while the aircraft is stationary. If we put the aircraft into the air, moving at 360 MPH, will we find a change in any of these figures?

At 360 MPH, the aircraft is traveling at 360MPH ÷ 60 minutes = 6 miles a minute.
    At 6 MPM, the aircraft is traveling at 6MPM ÷ 60 seconds = 0.1 mile per second.
    0.1 mile = 528 feet per second.

So now, we have the tip of the blade moving at 1131 feet in one second, but also moving forward at 528 feet per second. Does that forward movement (speed), affect the tip of the blade and the distance it travels in one second?

Actually, it does. The tip of the blade is not just describing the circumference of a 6 foot circle, it is also describing the distance traveled forward. How? The tip is now describing a corkscrew path thru a distance, much like the threads on a screw.

As the threads on a screw are longer in going around the circumference of the screw shaft than just a ridge that just goes around the shaft flat wise, then the length of travel of the blade tip is longer at 528 FPS than while stationary. And, like the threads on a screw getting coarser, and becoming longer in one circumference when stretched out, so does the corkscrew path of the blade tip as its velocity increase. The faster its velocity, the more distance it covers in one second, and thus lengthens the corkscrew path of the tip.

What does this mean in our discussion of time? While sitting stationary, the blade tip is traveling at 18.85 feet per revolution @ 60RPS = 1131 total feet traveled. Launch that aircraft @ 528 FPS (360 MPH), the blade tip has to travel a longer, corkscrew path in one second. That longer corkscrew path adds the 528 feet traveled to the 1131 feet traveled if just sitting stationary. That is 1131 feet + 528 feet = 1659 total feet of travel. But that 1659 was supposedly done at 60RPS. So, divide 1659 feet by 60 RPS = 27.65 feet per revolution.

Now, that blade tip can only travel at 18.85 Feet normally to make one revolution. But at a velocity of 528 FPS, it has to travel a 27.65 foot path to make one revolution. So, when a stationary tip has traveled 18.85 feet and completed one revolution, the tip a velocity only traveled at 18.85 feet also, but yet has not yet traveled far enough to complete a revolution. Thus, the pilot might think, "Man, on the tarmac I was getting so many RPS, but flying certainly seemed to cut the number of RPS I'm getting. Gee, when I'm flying, it takes longer to get one revolution. Gee, the only explanation is that time has slowed down."

But that's BS. Time hasn't changed at all. What has changed from stationary to moving is the distance over which an action has occurred. The blade tip while stationary could complete a revolution in 18.85 feet of travel. But when moving, the corkscrew path makes a longer distance to travel. The blade tip is moving at the same speed whether stationary or moving. When the blade tip moves 18.85 feet and makes a revolution while stationary, while flying it has moved the same 18.85 feet at the same time, but is only part way thru a longer path to a full revolution.

Has time slowed down? No, only the distance over which an action occurs has been increased because of adding velocity.
    What it sounds like you are describing is relativity. To the pilot of the plane, the tip of the propeller is traveling at 1131 FPS. That is true because they both have the same forward velocity. To someone on the ground however, the plane and the pilot are traveling at 528 FPS. In addition, the tip of the propeller, as you point out, is traveling at a velocity of 1659 FPS. Witchcraft! Relativity says that the sped of light is constant. Speed is distance over time. If the speed of light is always 186,000 mps, then the only thing that can change to allow that is time. So if we could have three hyper accurate watches, one on the person on the ground, one on the pilot in the plane and one attached to the tip of the propeller and flew the plane over some distance, when we compared the three time pieces they would each display a different elapsed time. The reason is that relative to each other their speed is different while the speed of light at each point is constant. If the guy on the ground turns on a flashlight, that light speeds away from him at 186,000 mps. If the pilot that is traveling forward at 528 FPS also turns on a flashlight, the light speeds away from him at the speed of light. The guy on the ground also sees the pilots light speed away from him at the same speed of light, not the sum of the speed of light plus the forward speed of the airplane. The only way that can happen is if the passage of time at each of those positions passes at a different rate. In the case the of the propeller tip, if we were to attach a flashlight to it and turn it on, both the pilot and the guy on the ground would see the light moving at the speed of light despite the fact that all three positions are traveling through our three dimensions at three different speeds. Again that can only happen if time is passing at those three points at different rates.

Can a house fly with wings beating at full throttle reach the speed of mach : 1, if only for a micro second?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Can a house fly with wings beating at full throttle reach the speed of mach : 1, if only for a micro second?
    Set the frame of reference and I'll see if I can have a good thought on it.

ETA...I have killed a housefly that was traveling at 75 mph. I'm not sure, off the top of my head, what per cent that is of Mach 1.
    It was a speedy little beggar tho.
    Last edited by N/A; 07-29-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    What it sounds like you are describing is relativity. To the pilot of the plane, the tip of the propeller is traveling at 1131 FPS. That is true because they both have the same forward velocity. To someone on the ground however, the plane and the pilot are traveling at 528 FPS. In addition, the tip of the propeller, as you point out, is traveling at a velocity of 1659 FPS. Witchcraft! Relativity says that the sped of light is constant. Speed is distance over time. If the speed of light is always 186,000 mps, then the only thing that can change to allow that is time. So if we could have three hyper accurate watches, one on the person on the ground, one on the pilot in the plane and one attached to the tip of the propeller and flew the plane over some distance, when we compared the three time pieces they would each display a different elapsed time. The reason is that relative to each other their speed is different while the speed of light at each point is constant. If the guy on the ground turns on a flashlight, that light speeds away from him at 186,000 mps. If the pilot that is traveling forward at 528 FPS also turns on a flashlight, the light speeds away from him at the speed of light. The guy on the ground also sees the pilots light speed away from him at the same speed of light, not the sum of the speed of light plus the forward speed of the airplane. The only way that can happen is if the passage of time at each of those positions passes at a different rate. In the case the of the propeller tip, if we were to attach a flashlight to it and turn it on, both the pilot and the guy on the ground would see the light moving at the speed of light despite the fact that all three positions are traveling through our three dimensions at three different speeds. Again that can only happen if time is passing at those three points at different rates.

There is a reason the speed of light is constant in this universe, and why it always is no matter the velocity of the mass it eminates from. That is because when a mass' energy is high enough to emit a photon of light, the photon originates instantaneously and originates at speed C instantly. Thus, the instant the photon emits from the mass, the mass is stationary in that spot as far as the photon is concerned. What can shift the apparent wavelength of light is how much distance has the mass traveled between each photon being emitted.

An object being stationary emits photons at a steady interval. That object traveling away from you has each photo farther apart, and as it travels toward you the distance between each photon is closer together. But the speed of each photon remains the same, as it emits from a stationary mass for all intents and purposes.

That's why I would consider the speed of light to not be the overall best value to use in relativity.

Remember, matter cannot be created or destroyed. It only changes form. You are a child of infinity. But I'm sure you will argue about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Remember, matter cannot be created or destroyed. It only changes form. You are a child of infinity. But I'm sure you will argue about that.
    What's to argue about that?
    As I said before, I'm just putting forth my ideas on a different way to look at the universe. If, after you give them due consideration, you think they are wrong, then that is fine.

Smile

What's to argue about that?
    As I said before, I'm just putting forth my ideas on a different way to look at the universe. If, after you give them due consideration, you think they are wrong, then that is fine.
    No. I don't think your wrong.

There is a reason the speed of light is constant in this universe, and why it always is no matter the velocity of the mass it eminates from. That is because when a mass' energy is high enough to emit a photon of light, the photon originates instantaneously and originates at speed C instantly. Thus, the instant the photon emits from the mass, the mass is stationary in that spot as far as the photon is concerned. What can shift the apparent wavelength of light is how much distance has the mass traveled between each photon being emitted.

An object being stationary emits photons at a steady interval. That object traveling away from you has each photo farther apart, and as it travels toward you the distance between each photon is closer together. But the speed of each photon remains the same, as it emits from a stationary mass for all intents and purposes.

That's why I would consider the speed of light to not be the overall best value to use in relativity.
    Interesting analysis. You are describing the Doppler effect. That accounts for the shifting of the wavelength of light but has no effect on the speed. All electromagnetic energy travels at the same speed regardless of wavelength. It doesn't account for the fact that every observer of that light will observe it traveling at the same speed of light regardless of the velocity the observer is traveling relative to each other and the light. The result of that constant observed speed of light is the dilation of time.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast